Hydraulic Leveler Leak... Questions - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > General RV Related Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 09-20-2018, 12:46 AM   #1

Wyoming
Hydraulic Leveler Leak... Questions

Ok, calling all hydraulic gurus...

After 5+ years, the right front landing gear leg has developed a leak. Began seeing some seepage on the jack-pad during my last few weeks in Cody... and seeing it again here outside of Memphis. Nothing major... yet... just a weeping hose (maybe 2?)

Photos show where it is.. the fittings on the orange hoses. I was hoping that they'd just began working there way loose, and a few turns of a wrench on the fitting would cure it... but now believe it is where the orange hose enters the fitting that is bad. I'd cleaned them all up after I tightened the fittings... but the photos show they're doing it again.

One note... I only seem to notice it weeping badly on very hot days. We had very few of those in Cody (3 at the most)... but bright sunny skies & temps in the mid-90s have been routine at my new location outside of Memphis over the past week. I'm sure the rising pressure as the day heats up is a contributing factor... but in the end, a leak, is a leak, is a leak. And I don't want it getting drastically worse when I'm someplace far away from ample help.

Now, like electrical work... I know just enough about hydraulic maintenance to be dangerous. I understand the principles involved, but have never done any actual work on anything hydraulic other than car brakes.

The first question I have is...and I think I know the answer... can those lines be replaced while the jacks are deployed... or am I going to have to hitch up & retract the legs to remove the pressure in those lines before removing them so I can have replacements made up?

Of course, any other help & suggestions you may wish to offer are welcome. Thanks in advance...

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_E0830.jpg
Views:	267
Size:	60.4 KB
ID:	5027

Name:	IMG_0831.jpg
Views:	270
Size:	52.8 KB
ID:	5028

Name:	Hose.jpg
Views:	282
Size:	52.3 KB
ID:	5036

2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
ATCguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 01:27 AM   #2

Oklahoma
It would probably be best to retract the legs before you break open the lines. There are check valves in the system but I don't think they would be at the jack.

If they are seeping on hot days they probably will shrink on cold days and leak more. All in all, they are breaking down and it's time to do the deed and have them replaced before it's too late.

Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 02:59 AM   #3

Iowa
I had to replace every single hydraulic line when ours was new. The ends were not installed correctly at the factory. Dealer took care of it under warranty, the first one blew while we were doing the walk through. They replaced that one before we left the dealers building that day. In the first 6 months every hose end started leaking even the return lines. Since we live 2 hrs from the dealership, they agreed to reimburse me for the replacement hoses plus some labor. The local Car Quest made custom hoses for me, probably could have used the old hoses and just install new ends but as long as I was going to all the work I went with new. I had to drop parts of the belly cover to get to them and yes you'll need to hook up and raise the jacks to release the pressure.
dougs2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 01:11 PM   #4

Wyoming
Well... not what I wanted to hear, but about what I expected. Ha!

Thanks. Guess it’s just another item for the get-it-done list while I’m here in ‘civilization’ for a bit.
2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
Old 09-21-2018, 06:01 AM   #5

California
Can I hijack your thread for a related question?

I keep my RZR in my trailer and decided I would prefer to keep the weight off my leave springs for weeks at a time so last time I stores it I lowered my rear jacks to lift the trailer a bit. Now I am wondering if it is a bad idea to have weight on the hydraulic system for such a long time. I know my landing jacks have weight on them all the time so I assume I am safe but is this a bad idea? The comment above that said you need to retract your jacks to take the pressure off the system made me think there is always some pressure in the system if there is weight on the jacks.

Should I rethink this approach?
Old 09-21-2018, 11:43 AM   #6

Illinois
I'm sure others are more qualified to answer your question, but my experience after 3 years of spending 6 months a year as a "snowbird" and leaving my jacks down, has not resulted in any negative issues. I've never heard of any full-timers not leaving their jacks down for extended time. I do however wipe down the legs to remove any grit or whatever, before I do retract them after leaving them extended for any length of time. Just my experience.
Rusty
2005 Harley Ultra Classic w/too many miles
lcv800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 11:57 AM   #7

Wyoming
I'm in agreement with Rusty...

I've been full-time in this rig for over 3 years now, and was pretty near full-time the 2 years prior to that. As such, my jacks are deployed at least a good 330 days a year. Up until now, they've never given me any trouble at all. And while a leaky hose is a nuisance, in the big picture it's just a minor maintenance issue that needs to be addressed.
2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
Old 09-21-2018, 12:01 PM   #8

Iowa
In ATCguys case releasing the pressure will allow him to remove a hydraulic line without fluid spraying out all over, otherwise these jacks are designed to have weight on them continually. I use them to raise the wheels off the ground to rotate tires and check wheel bearings and adjust the brakes. When I do this I like to use more blocks under the jack pads to give more stability.
dougs2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 04:31 AM   #9

California
Thanks guys. Appreciate the info.
Old 09-26-2018, 09:12 PM   #10

Ohio
Hi. I would recommend that you pull the fuse that feeds hydraulic pump prior to starting any work. Next big safety item is bleed residue pressure (wear safety glasses, wrap a few rags around hose connecter), by cracking slow giving time for it to bleed out. Once repaired, you biggest challenge will be to bleed air from system. It's likely you may have to cycle the system (all jacks) 4-5 fully to get it all out. There may be a bleed screw right at cylinder (it's pouring rain or I would go look at mine). Good luck.

2015 Voltage 3605
KN5DX is offline   Reply With Quote