How level should trailer be when towing - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > General RV Related Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 06-24-2013, 02:28 AM   #1

Michigan
How level should trailer be when towing

Howdy,
3750FL Infinity with dual axle. I am wondering how level I should attempt and get my fifth when towing. Currently it appears that the trailer is nose high which I think means that I have more weight on the tow pin and more weight on the rear set of axles and with less weight on the front set of axles. I suppose I could go and get the whole shebang weighed and that will give me the answer. Is anyone this anal about getting their rig level while towing. I have a B&W hitch pinbox has the air ride and shock. Not the fifth airborne but the other one. thanks

GOLDENYEARS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 09:39 AM   #2

Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLDENYEARS View Post
Howdy,
3750FL Infinity with dual axle. I am wondering how level I should attempt and get my fifth when towing. Currently it appears that the trailer is nose high which I think means that I have more weight on the tow pin and more weight on the rear set of axles and with less weight on the front set of axles. I suppose I could go and get the whole shebang weighed and that will give me the answer. Is anyone this anal about getting their rig level while towing. I have a B&W hitch pinbox has the air ride and shock. Not the fifth airborne but the other one. thanks
I would have thought that when you purchased the trailer that your dealer would have looked to make sure that it sits level. There are adjustments that can be made.
Remember that if the nose is high it reduces the rear tail height. If you back into a site that rises up you may scrape..............Let alone traveling where there is more weight on the rear axle of the trailer.
Ain't got nothin' to do bein' anal.

2012 Dutchmen 3850RL
Infinityrver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 11:31 AM   #3

My 5er sits 5 inches higher in the front than the rear. The only adjustment I can see is the pin box where the pin box attaches to the camper. There are 8 (i think) large bolts on each side that allows the pin box to adjust up or down. My camper shell (fiberglass) sits a little over 2 inches above the pin box in the front. If I lower my camper into the pin box one hole it will lower the front of the camper by 2 inches thus raising the rear somewhat. Maybe not as much as needed but overall it should level out the camper box.
Here is my dilemma. If i lower the camper into the pin box by one hole it places the fiberglass shell about 1/4 inch above the pin box. Remember I am lowering the camper frame into the pin box.. What are the thoughts here about the camper shell being that close to the frame.
My thoughts the frame is attached to the shell and should not move at all and the quarter inch should be sufficient clearance. I sure would love to lower the front more and put more weight on both axles evenly.
I am not meaning or trying to hijack this thread but I felt they are closely related.

BTW my pin box is a TrailAir, The Camper is a 3200 voltage and the TV is a F250 4x4. I have plenty of side rail clearances on the TV under the camper nose.

What say you guys.. How level do I need her like Golden Years is asking???
Tanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 12:54 PM   #4

Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanman View Post
My 5er sits 5 inches higher in the front than the rear. The only adjustment I can see is the pin box where the pin box attaches to the camper. There are 8 (i think) large bolts on each side that allows the pin box to adjust up or down. My camper shell (fiberglass) sits a little over 2 inches above the pin box in the front. If I lower my camper into the pin box one hole it will lower the front of the camper by 2 inches thus raising the rear somewhat. Maybe not as much as needed but overall it should level out the camper box.
Here is my dilemma. If i lower the camper into the pin box by one hole it places the fiberglass shell about 1/4 inch above the pin box. Remember I am lowering the camper frame into the pin box.. What are the thoughts here about the camper shell being that close to the frame.
My thoughts the frame is attached to the shell and should not move at all and the quarter inch should be sufficient clearance. I sure would love to lower the front more and put more weight on both axles evenly.
I am not meaning or trying to hijack this thread but I felt they are closely related.

BTW my pin box is a TrailAir, The Camper is a 3200 voltage and the TV is a F250 4x4. I have plenty of side rail clearances on the TV under the camper nose.

What say you guys.. How level do I need her like Golden Years is asking???
Is there any kind of adjustment on your hitch that is in the bed of your truck? I have two different ways to lower my nose. I can either raise the pin box or I can lower my hitch. I think I will be lowering my hitch a couple of inches. As far as when I picked it up, the techs said it looked good. Scales, here I come. Thanks guys.
GOLDENYEARS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 12:58 PM   #5

Quebec
I believe nose-high is the least preferable situation (ie. level or nose-low would be better) as I have heard there can be handling issues. The 5th-wheel hitch in the truck is usually adjustable for height. I actually raised mine on an earlier trailer to create more clearance between the truck and the trailer cap. This was a much easier adjustment than playing with the pin box on the trailer.
kevinmiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 01:22 PM   #6

Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLDENYEARS View Post
Howdy,
I've always been told that you want ANY towed trailer (5er, TT, etc.) to be as level as possible. You say it appears to be nose high, but have you actually taken a tape measure to it to really see?

Quote:
I have more weight on the tow pin and more weight on the rear set of axles and with less weight on the front set of axles.
This makes no sense to me and I think is impossible. Think of that front axle as a fulcrum point on a lever. More weight on the front and the back goes up, more on the rear and the front goes up. The axles are too close together for you to see a major difference in the weight carried by each.

I would measure first to see if it is level, and if it seems to far off take a look at what you have stored or are carrying where. Since that is a front living plan I would suspect it has a heavier pin weight which would make it a bit nose heavy.

One other consideration to look at, are the hitch and pin box properly adjusted to height and drop for a level tow?

Chalkie is offline   Reply With Quote