How does the faucet work? Voyager1004d - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > General RV Related Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 06-22-2019, 11:39 PM   #1

Wisconsin
How does the faucet work? Voyager1004d

I've never had a popup before or any kind of camper. I just picked up a 2001 Voyager 1004d. Google has failed me in my search for a manual, so I turn to you. How does the faucet work? There is a fitting that a garden hose attaches to but no water will flow into it. It would appear that it feeds the sink directly. But maybe not? I have a tank that seems to be hooked up to the sink that I put a few inches of water in but nothing happens when I lift the sink handle. The sink does make an air noise when I lift the handle. I do have the camper plugged in. The outlets and fridge are both working. Also when you switch it to DC, where does the battery power come from? The only thing I can think of is the flat wiring harness for the trailer lights. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

elstasho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 11:52 PM   #2

Wisconsin
pics

Trying to upload some pics.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190622_184026.jpg
Views:	276
Size:	56.4 KB
ID:	5534   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190622_184036.jpg
Views:	263
Size:	54.4 KB
ID:	5535   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190622_184134.jpg
Views:	328
Size:	53.1 KB
ID:	5536  

Old 06-23-2019, 12:14 AM   #3

Wisconsin
12 volt side of life

Have a look at these:
The 12 volt side of life
The 12volt Side of Life (Part 1)

The 12volt Side of Life Part 2

The water system is as follows:

There is a water tank. You posted a picture of yours. There is a 12 volt water pump. There will be a switch somewhere inside the camper to turn it on.

The water pump may have a winterization valve and syphon tube. You put the tube into a jug of antifreeze and suck antifreeze into all your pumps, pipes, and valves. The pump may be sucking air through that tube.

There will be a valve on the suction side of the pump to switch to sucking from the water tank.

There is also a "city water" fitting that you hook up using a special potable water hose with a garden hose fitting. Apparently yours is not working. Possibly the check valve inside has seized and will not open to allow water in.

You may have a hot water heater. It will hold about 6 gallons and be gas fired or gas and electric. The temperature controls may use 12 volts. The electric heater element if it has it is 115 volts.

The hot water heater will probably have between one and three bypass valves used to bypass the heater when pumping antifreeze into the pipes. The valves will be behind the heater.

The water heater may be drained. Flush the pipes first, then put the drain plug in and turn the bypass valves to put water into the heater tank. Do not turn the 115 volt water heater power on until you are sure the water heater is full of water.
persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 12:15 AM   #4

Oklahoma
There must be a demand pump somewhere. You have the tank so the water has to get out of it somehow, either with a manual pump or a demand pump. Can you hear a pump run when you open the faucet?
No city water going in says that something is plugged up. Possibly the by pass valve is stuck or a hose is kinked. You'll want to follow the water lines as far as you can to see where the pump is or why no city water flows.
Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 01:17 AM   #5

Wisconsin
not seeing it

I found a drain valve on the side of the tank, so that's progress. I've been assuming the pump was in the tank, but now maybe not. I haven't found an on switch or the pump yet.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20190622_195741.jpg
Views:	320
Size:	53.9 KB
ID:	5537   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190622_195957.jpg
Views:	272
Size:	52.3 KB
ID:	5538   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190622_195656.jpg
Views:	288
Size:	56.8 KB
ID:	5539  
Old 06-23-2019, 08:07 PM   #6

Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by elstasho View Post
Trying to upload some pics.
How about a picture of your faucet? I am going to take a guess what you have, if this is a similar setup to what I had in my older pop-up.
The bigger opening in the upper picture is the manual fill inlet to add water to the holding tank. the black fitting under that (with the screen in it) is the water hose connection for pressurized water supply (this would not allow water to flow in to the tank, only to the faucet). The middle picture is quite possibly a connection for a external sink drain hose. There would be no electrical water pump in the system. If you have a pressurized water supply hooked up, you would merely turn the faucet handle to open. If no pressurized hose is hooked up and you are operating off of the holding tank, you would need to turn the faucet handle several turns open and the pull up and push down multiple times to pump water from the tank to the sink, it is similar to a old fashioned siphon water pump. Good Luck.
P.S. the hose next to the blue and white manual fill hose is just a air vent.
wis-redneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 08:33 PM   #7

Wisconsin
Thanks

It seems like you got the pics exactly right as far as I can tell. Unfortunately I packed it up this morning due to the upcoming storm. I took a pic of everything except the faucet.. The pressurized hookup must be plugged at the hookup because no water will go through and I can't find a valve. I'll try filling the tank up more next time and see if I have some luck with the pumping of the handle. All I got was air this time but I didn't try that hard. Thanks for all the info everybody!
Old 06-24-2019, 10:15 AM   #8
Site Team

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by elstasho View Post
It seems like you got the pics exactly right as far as I can tell. Unfortunately I packed it up this morning due to the upcoming storm. I took a pic of everything except the faucet.. The pressurized hookup must be plugged at the hookup because no water will go through and I can't find a valve. I'll try filling the tank up more next time and see if I have some luck with the pumping of the handle. All I got was air this time but I didn't try that hard. Thanks for all the info everybody!
There is a backflow valve on the fitting that is prone to sticking. Carefully pry the screen filter out and push in on the small ball with something, that should free it up. If it doesn't you may have to replace it. Do you have an indicator panel showing how much battery charge and the water level in the tank? If so the pump switch may be nearby.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 10:52 AM   #9

Florida
With that much space in your tank compartment, your pump should have been located right there connected to the clear Line near the bottom of the tank. I also see part of a black wire in that picture, maybe somebody has removed your pump for some reason?
As far as the switch location it is probably located very near the sink. A switch that you can't figure out what it does because it's not working right now.
Thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 01:31 PM   #10

Wisconsin
I found this Utube video of a similar unit walk around.

It has a manual hand pump on the sink.

Pump the lever on the sink multiple times to prime it. I assume you have already done this. So what problems can occur?

There may still be a winterization valve. Perhaps it is under the sink. When set for sucking antifreeze it would only let air come out of the hand pump. This is less likely to be installed on this kind of water system.

The pump may have freeze damage. This also can allow air into the pump.

Pipe fittings between the pump and tank may be loose or broken allowing air into the system.

If the pipe to the pump goes into the tank at the top, it will have a siphon tube inside the tank. The water level may be below the siphon end or the siphon may have fallen off. This too is unlikely. The pipe is probably connected to the side of the tank at the bottom.
Old 06-24-2019, 10:37 PM   #11

Wisconsin
Thanks

It's raining today, maybe tomorrow too. When I get a chance I'll open it back up and play with it again. There is no (that I have found) indicators for battery or tank level. I can't find a battery or a set of wires to hook one up. There has got to be a way or something. .? That black wire I believe is actually green, I assumed it was a ground. Neither end is hooked up to anything anymore. The only switch I can find looks like it controls the furnace, but I didn't try the furnace yet. Is it gas only? I'll play with that later too. Anyway, thanks for the thoughts and suggestions and I'll update in a day or two when it's dry again.
Old 06-25-2019, 04:58 PM   #12

South Carolina
May be of some help to visualize what you have.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Scan.jpg
Views:	441
Size:	50.6 KB
ID:	5544  
ArmyVeteran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 11:05 PM   #13

Wisconsin
Voyager 1004d does not have a 12 volt water pump. It has a hand pump.

Voyager 1004d should have a battery on the "A" frame at the front. If there is no battery there, you must get a battery box and battery to run 12 volt devices when the Voyager is not plugged into shore power. Wiring for battery is probably already in place.

Voyager 1004d has a 20 amp 12 volt converter/charger. The converter will light 12 volt lights and charge a battery when plugged into shore power.

There are two 115 volt circuit breakers on the service panel. One may be for the refrig, the other may be for the air conditioner. There could be a third breaker for the converter/charger.

Voyager 1004d should have a 20# propane tank on the tongue next to the battery to run the cook top, furnace, and the refrig. Regulator and piping should already be in place.

The refrig can probably be run using a choice of one of three sources of power; propane, 12 Volt battery, or 115 volt AC shore power.