Hot water heater - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > General RV Related Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 02-25-2015, 02:54 PM   #1

Idaho
Hot water heater

Just wondering about other peoples' thoughts/experience regarding the hot water heater.

First, seems to me that the propane heat is SOOOOO much faster than the AC heat...just me, or is that what others find.

Second, point 1 above notwithstanding, what are the reasons why I should choose gas over electric, other than the obvious cost and depletion of gas?

Third, can you have both turned on? I suspect there is no reason this can't be done, but if point 1 above is true, then will electric ever really kick in to any significance?

Finally, if I have the switch turned "ON" in the heater compartment, but I do not turn on the electric switch on the control panel, that this means the electric water heater will not activate? Is the switch in the heater compartment just a safety feature to help prevent accidentally activating the electric heater element in a possible empty water heater tank? In other words, BOTH switches must be on before the electric water heater will operate, right?

PNGento is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 03:41 PM   #2

Maryland
Yes, there are three recovery rates...one for power, one for gas, and one for gas/power.

We run power most of the time, except during wife and kids shower time. With our Oxygenics shower head and the power/gas on at the same time, my daughter can shower for 30 minutes... I can shower and shave in the shower with only power.

IIRC, the gas/power recovery rate is about 19.5 gallons per hour.

All other times, the gas stays off.

I think the switch outside is a safety switch. It should be off if there is no water in the tank. Since we always have water in it, we always operate the HW heater at the inside panel.

Cale

TH: 2014 Voltage 3950, Sailun S637 all around
calewjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 04:41 PM   #3

Montana
My responses in blue in the quoted text below.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNGento View Post
Just wondering about other peoples' thoughts/experience regarding the hot water heater.

First, seems to me that the propane heat is SOOOOO much faster than the AC heat...just me, or is that what others find. Yes, the gas burner alone heats the water more quickly than the electric element alone.

Second, point 1 above notwithstanding, what are the reasons why I should choose gas over electric, other than the obvious cost and depletion of gas? If you boondock/dry camp without AC electric hookups, then gas is the only option available to you. You could use a generator for the AC power, but then you're back to using some form of gas.

Third, can you have both turned on? I suspect there is no reason this can't be done, but if point 1 above is true, then will electric ever really kick in to any significance? Yes, I'm told that this is the fastest way to heat the water in the tank. I think both heating methods rely on the same hi and low temperature thermocouples, so both heating methods will start and stop based on the same signals. Both will contribute simultaneously, resulting in water heating more quickly than with using only one method alone.

Finally, if I have the switch turned "ON" in the heater compartment, but I do not turn on the electric switch on the control panel, that this means the electric water heater will not activate? Correct. Is the switch in the heater compartment just a safety feature to help prevent accidentally activating the electric heater element in a possible empty water heater tank? In other words, BOTH switches must be on before the electric water heater will operate, right? I'm not sure, but your logic sounds reasonable.
Old 02-25-2015, 07:41 PM   #4

California
ewarnerusa is right on with his reply.
Just to add, yes you can have both gas & electric on at the same time to heat the water. It wouldn't hurt a thing. I've done it many times on the last three rv's Iv'ed owned that had the option. I do only do it to heat the water in a hurry. After that I turn off the gas or electric depending upon if I have shore power or not.
2012 F-350 6.7l CC 4X4, Sold 10/10/17
DesertRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 03:12 PM   #5

Oklahoma
Just another thought. I you pull into a campground and plug in, turn the hot water on then and let it run on electric. Might as well use the power you are paying for, and not burn extra money by using the propane.