Home Theater - A/V Receiver - Amp - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > General RV Related Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 11-23-2019, 05:00 AM   #1

Wyoming
Home Theater - A/V Receiver - Amp

Well after 7 years, the home theater receiver unit in my rig is slowly dying, and I’m wondering what I’m going to be able to replace it with.

Neither the original Samsung unit, nor the Sony unit I replaced it with is still being made... I can’t find any available as surplus or on the used market... and I don’t see any good new model options listed in their websites. And while I guess I could take it to a Sony service location for refurbishment & repair, I’d rather replace it with something new.

I’d love to simply replace it with a full size unit like you’d find in a residential setting, but I’m limited to smaller units that will fit in the 9” x 20” x 8” nook by the rig’s control panel. That’s where all of the surrounding speaker wires are, as well as cable & satellite dish antenna leads, power block, etc... and with doorways on either side, there’s simply no way to relocate it.

So I’m wondering if one of you folks with newer rigs (say, 2017 or later) that have a home theater system (w/ surround sound speakers) can tell me the brand & model number of the receiver they put in your rig? And the reason I ask for late model rigs is because I figure there’s a good chance that those units are still being produced, or at least are new enough that I can fund surplus on the market.

Of course, any input is appreciated... but again, the limiting factor is size. No larger than 20” wide... 9” depth... and 8” high.

2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
ATCguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 04:58 PM   #2

South Carolina
Have you tried Crutchfield? They have an RV section.

https://www.crutchfield.com/shopsear...t_systems.html

I used them before for my trucks and there installation adapter kits were great!

Good Luck.

Old 11-30-2019, 05:31 PM   #3

South Carolina
Oh and our TT has a
Furrion Entertainment System DV3100

Its fine except for the remote. The size of tic tak container with a zillion buttons! Way to hard for my old eyes to see with a magnifyiong glass and 1000 lumens of light! UGHH
Old 12-01-2019, 03:34 PM   #4

Wyoming
Yeah, tried Crutch and other outlets... seems the industry has definitely moved to the in-wall systems with the sound bar.

Unfortunately, none of that will work in my rig w/o major re-working of the power-panel area. My TV hangs over the main entry-door, with the control panel in a cabinet between the entry-door and the bathroom door. There's no place there to install one of those in-wall systems... and no place mount a sound bar either above or below the TV unless I replace it with a smaller TV.

So it seems my only options are to find a small home-audio receiver that will fit into that space... or, what is probably my best bet, simply finding an old tech who can refurbish my current Sony unit. Oh, I guess there's another option... trade for a newer RV. Hahaha
2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
Old 12-01-2019, 04:03 PM   #5

South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATCguy View Post
Yeah, tried Crutch and other outlets... seems the industry has definitely moved to the in-wall systems with the sound bar.

Unfortunately, none of that will work in my rig w/o major re-working of the power-panel area. My TV hangs over the main entry-door, with the control panel in a cabinet between the entry-door and the bathroom door. There's no place there to install one of those in-wall systems... and no place mount a sound bar either above or below the TV unless I replace it with a smaller TV.

So it seems my only options are to find a small home-audio receiver that will fit into that space... or, what is probably my best bet, simply finding an old tech who can refurbish my current Sony unit. Oh, I guess there's another option... trade for a newer RV. Hahaha

I may be cornfused. But the spot where your old unit is situated is a "hole in the wall"?

Why not wall it in, so to speak and use one of the "built in" units. Assuming you can match the surrounding area.

The DV 3100 will fit it seems.

Or do I have it all wrong.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4ATC.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	33.5 KB
ID:	6015  
Old 12-01-2019, 05:00 PM   #6

Wyoming
Ha...

Well, not so much a hole in the wall as... a wall in the hole.

This shows my TV & panel area. The TV above the entry door... the power panel & cabinet between the entry door and the bathroom door (on the left). The TV hangs on an articulating arm, and takes up ALL of the height above & below the space it hangs in.

Name:	TV & panel.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	56.0 KB
ID:	6021

Here's my power cabinet. Electronics up high, and a storage area for books & such underneath. Width & height of any replacement unit isn't the issue.. it's the depth. I've got plenty of width & height to fit anything on the market, including standard home audio components. But only 9" deep, there's nothing on the market that I can find that will fit without completely cutting away the back-wall, and re-routing the cables behind it... and even if I do that, I've still only got 11" to play with.

Name:	Panel.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	54.0 KB
ID:	6022

Name:	panelbooks.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	57.2 KB
ID:	6023

Here's a closeup of the components. The Sony receiver/DVD unit fills up the bottom cavity... with the home theater speaker power box, Winegard satellite antenna control box, and AppleTV cube on the narrow slot-shelf above. The Sony unit is a replacement upgrade over the original Samsung unit that originally fit in that tiny slot-shelf. As you can see, it just barely fits... and I had to cut part of the back-wall out just so I could get the various HDMI plugs & speaker wires to fit in the rear.

Name:	receiver.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	6024

Finally, here's the side-wall of that cabinet... the only place where I could even think about installing an in-wall system. It's already occupied with the generator monitor panel, thermostat, and the left-front speaker for the home theater system.

Name:	sidewall.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	54.4 KB
ID:	6025

So as you can see... the space is limited. Toy haulers are all about trade-offs, and this is certainly one of them.
2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
Old 12-01-2019, 05:42 PM   #7

South Carolina
Ok, stupid question #42

What are you expecting from the "replacement" unit?
Besides AM/FM DVD/CD and inputs for TV audio??

The Furrion unit depth dimension is under 7 inches (not counting face plate).

Or am I still cornfused
Old 12-01-2019, 06:13 PM   #8

Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyVeteran View Post
Ok, stupid question #42

What are you expecting from the "replacement" unit?
Besides AM/FM DVD/CD and inputs for TV audio??

Or am I still cornfused
Gotta remember... I'm not a weekend warrior, I'm a full-timer. I want residential quality audio/video options. So...
- Needs to have 5.1 theater speaker outputs for the surround speakers & subwoofer. Only see L & R RCA plugs & a subwoofer plug on the Furrion.

- Needs either an HDMI input, or digital optical audio input for audio from TV. No option for either on the Furrion.

- No Blu-Ray DVD option on this Furrion unit (others have it).

- Needs additional HDMI inputs for AppleTV, Playstation (or other gaming system), computer and/or video camera equipment. Furrion unit has none.
Bottom line... nothing on this unit, or the others allows for high quality digital input beyond it's basic capability. Only 1970s era L&R RCA analog audio jacks.
2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
Old 12-01-2019, 07:00 PM   #9

South Carolina
Okay, Gotcha!

Yepper Full Time, you do need all the bells and whistles.

Now that I have cleared that up

Maybe now you will get some legitimate answers

Good luck!
Old 12-01-2019, 09:07 PM   #10

Florida
I did a little digging and couldn't find one to fit your needs.

So, as I see it, the only way to upgrade the sound system, is to.......

upgrade your entire rig. after all, it is 7 years old.
Thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 03:50 PM   #11

Florida
have you looked at this little guy?

https://www.amazon.com/Denon-Wireles...20525802&psc=1
franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 07:56 PM   #12

Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by franktafl View Post
have you looked at this little guy?
No, I hadn't... but it appears to have possibilities. The depth is still a bit too much to just swap out, but I might be able to work with it.

Thanks for the heads up.

2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE