Help with Slide Out please - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > General RV Related Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 03-13-2016, 11:06 PM   #1

Georgia
Help with Slide Out please

Aspen Trail 2014, the kitchen slide will not slide out. The living room dinette slide wrks great. I've put a new slide switch in but still will not open. Any suggestions?

dwgrayjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 12:47 AM   #2

New Jersey
Can you tell us what kind of slide mechanism you have, cable, Schwintek gear driven, hydraulic, etc? Do you get any movement at all, does it try to move? Have you checked the fuses to make sure you didn't blow a fuse? Also make sure nothing is binding the slide from going out/in. Do you know if you have a controller box for the slide, the Schwintek's have one for each slide. If you do, you need to find it, and check the codes.

Depending on what type of slide you have, there is likely a manual process to be able to open/close the slide.

I once got frustrated that my slide wouldn't come all the way in, turned out I'd left a side window open, and the system was doing it's job, stopping the slide, to keep it from breaking the window.

Old 03-14-2016, 01:11 AM   #3

Georgia
Thanks - I checked the fuse and have it hooked to shore power here at home. The slide is not moving nor is the motor making any noise. The slide is a Lippert rack and pinion. No controller box.
Old 03-14-2016, 02:10 AM   #4

New Jersey
If you haven't already done so, trouble shooting tips are in the document located here:
http://www.primetimerv.com/download/...tionManual.pdf
Old 03-14-2016, 10:11 AM   #5

Georgia
I have - I'm not seeing the mounted motor under frame for the kitchen slide. I've called the dealer but with zero feedback from them. I appreciate your help, but nothing I read in the trouble shooting guide has helped.
Old 03-14-2016, 01:11 PM   #6
Site Team

North Carolina
Got a picture of the slide mechanism? Are the tracks on the sidewalls or underneath?

My guess is going to be either a bad connection, thermal reset on the motor, or possibly a bad motor.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 01:33 PM   #7

Georgia
They are on the sidewalls. I'm thinking this slide's motor has to be covered by the underbelly. I'm guessing at that.
Old 03-14-2016, 02:00 PM   #8

New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwgrayjr View Post
I have - I'm not seeing the mounted motor under frame for the kitchen slide. I've called the dealer but with zero feedback from them. I appreciate your help, but nothing I read in the trouble shooting guide has helped.
If you are not seeing the motor under the slide, is the bottom of the slide a solid piece, with no exposed mechanisms? Do you have sets of tracks on the sides of the slide? If so, you likely have the Lippert/Schwintek gear driven system. A picture would help us determine exactly which slide mechanism you have.

Just in case you have the Schwintek system, here's a link to the trouble shooting guide.
http://www.amlrv.com/site/wp-content...l-override.pdf
Old 03-14-2016, 02:07 PM   #9

New Jersey
Quote:
They are on the sidewalls. I'm thinking this slide's motor has to be covered by the underbelly. I'm guessing at that.
Then you don't have rack and pinion, you have the gear driven system. There are 2 motors at the top interior of each slide. Each drives a rod with gears that drive the tracks. First step is to find the controller, see if you have any codes, and if a simple reset gets you going. There are a few videos on how to trouble shoot, that also show what the components look like. One can also remove a screw below each motor, and you should be able to manually push the slide in/out. Getting to the screw and motor is easier if the slide is open. If not, it may require removing the corner trim piece, and drilling an access hole. Once you know where everything is, and can check the codes, you can follow the trouble shooting flow digram in my earlier post.

Good luck.
Old 03-14-2016, 04:15 PM   #10

Iowa
Quote:
I'd guess it's the Schwintek, if it is you'll have to find the controller, you do have one for each slide, look on ceiling of storage compartments. It's a small flat square shaped box with about 6 plug in connections. I've had the same thing happen-it was a bad crimp on wire connection, just pull each wire off and then shove it back on and try your slide button again, that worked for me. Although could be a bad controller but more likely just a bad connection.
dougs2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 05:03 PM   #11

Georgia
I found 1 controller but it's not lighting up at all. Could the battery (just from what I'm reading) really cause this slide not to work? I'm hooked up at home with the reducer plug and now I'm wondering if the battery is really too low to juice it, but it's operating the other slide.
Old 03-14-2016, 05:27 PM   #12
Site Team

North Carolina
Quote:
I found 1 controller but it's not lighting up at all. Could the battery (just from what I'm reading) really cause this slide not to work? I'm hooked up at home with the reducer plug and now I'm wondering if the battery is really too low to juice it, but it's operating the other slide.
If the other slide is operating then the answer is no. In reality the Schwintek slides "should" work down to around 8 volts, but you didn't hear that from me.

I still think you either have a loose or broken connection somewhere or now that we have determined that is a Schwintek system, you may have a bad controller.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 05:39 PM   #13

Georgia
Thank you! I think I'm buying a new controller. I appreciate EVERYONE's input and helping me! You folks are great.
Old 03-14-2016, 06:00 PM   #14

New Jersey
Before you invest in a new controller, you may want to swap the controller from the working slide. I suspect you will need to "train" the other controller to the start/stop points for the slide you are moving it to. It would be unfortunate if you bought a new controller, only to find it is a power problem. I believe you can find the alignment procedure on Lippert's site.
Old 03-14-2016, 11:22 PM   #15

Florida
Great advice here. Could save you some big bucks.
Please report back when the problem is solved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdonoghu View Post
Before you invest in a new controller, you may want to swap the controller from the working slide. I suspect you will need to "train" the other controller to the start/stop points for the slide you are moving it to. It would be unfortunate if you bought a new controller, only to find it is a power problem. I believe you can find the alignment procedure on Lippert's site.
Handyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 01:03 AM   #16

Georgia
ITS FIXED!!! It's doing the Electric Slide perfectly! LOL. The controller reset, because of a power surge. Once we disconnected the wires & reconnected them it worked like a champ! Thanks to everyone!
Old 03-15-2016, 01:56 AM   #17

British Columbia
Quote:
ITS FIXED!!! It's doing the Electric Slide perfectly! LOL. The controller reset, because of a power surge. Once we disconnected the wires & reconnected them it worked like a champ! Thanks to everyone!
That's one of the things I have finally figured out will fix most electronics. It only took me about ten years of calling tech support when the modem or sat receiver went stupid.

It's a lot cheaper than the sisteen pound sledge hammer.

When I was a kid I was going nowhere fast, now I'm an old man I'm going everywhere slow.
hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 02:41 AM   #18

Iowa
Quote:
I'm glad that worked for you, it's such an easy fix I can't believe it's not listed on the trouble shooting guide, they need to make a You Tube video of that. I have had to do that a couple times on the bedroom slide, but I'm not sure it was a power surge. I'm always plugged in to a 50 amp Progressive surge protector and it still happened. Maybe something else I'm not understanding is happening. The main thing is it works!
dougs2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 04:44 AM   #19

Arizona
I just love a happy ending.
azdryheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 12:03 PM   #20

Georgia
Dougs2, yep the trouble shooting tips help but you're right - that should be listed. I also found out I've got two different type slide mechanisms on this Aspen Trail. I'll know next what to look for on my next camper. Thanks!!