Help. Hitch problem. - Page 2 - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > General RV Related Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 03-01-2016, 06:27 AM   #21

Ohio
Yea my biggest problem is that there are zero places around here that are RV friendly to weigh my setup. San Diego has lots of places that are listed online or in books, but they are all shut down. Drove around in my truck for 2 hours looking for one. That one may be a little tight with the RV.

MikeF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 06:25 PM   #22

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeF View Post
Yea my biggest problem is that there are zero places around here that are RV friendly to weigh my setup. San Diego has lots of places that are listed online or in books, but they are all shut down. Drove around in my truck for 2 hours looking for one. That one may be a little tight with the RV.
Did you check out the Pilot Truck stop there in San Diego? I weigh mine at the Flying J in 1000 Palms which is about two hours from your area.

2012 F-350 6.7l CC 4X4, Sold 10/10/17
DesertRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 12:29 AM   #23

Ohio
Now I am really nervous. Really not putting a lot into it, 1k is probably at the high end. But that is with the base trailer at the 8k it is "suppossed" to be.

So what happens if I weigh it after it is loaded and am a little bit over?
Old 03-02-2016, 01:33 AM   #24

South Carolina
Quote:
Now I am really nervous. Really not putting a lot into it, 1k is probably at the high end. But that is with the base trailer at the 8k it is "suppossed" to be.

Mike, somehow this thread morphed from WD hitch to actual weights. If you are a little over in one category, you can move stuff around, (like place forward stuff more rearward) or move to the TV. Or take out and leave at home. Or carry less water. Or live with it as it is. Your call.
MartyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 01:45 AM   #25

Missouri
Quote:

Unfortunately, not a thing you can do. Get your trucks owners manual out, get the correct data for you truck weights, and head to the scale. Any truck stop will let you weigh your truck for a small fee. ($10). Its quick and easy and will give you a weight for each axle. Ideally, go weigh your truck when you have a chance without a the trailer, then when you head out on a trip, swing into a truck stop and weigh with the trailer connected. This way you will have all of the data you need to see where you really stand. Also learn about max vehicle weight, max axle weight, and max combined weight.

I truly think you are going to be over, but not to bad. My suspicion is that you will exceed the max vehicle weight, but you will be under the max axle and max combined weight. You will only know when you hit the scales.

You never mentioned what brand of hitch you have. Please share and I bet you will get a little better help with you adjustments.

You have a awesome trailer with a great floor plan. I am glad they didn't offer it in 2014, because I am sure I would be in the same predicament that you are in! After weighing my trailer with my titan, I had no weight to spare. BTW my Denali is 7350 LBS empty.

2014 Denali 289RK
2017 Nissan Titan XD Pro-4X CC.
EricNSTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 02:16 AM   #26

Missouri
Mike F, I am going to share my weight data with you so you can see the importance of having your weight distribution hitch set up properly.

These are the weights for my Titan, yours will be different, but it shows how the hitch shifts some of the load to the front axle. ( all my weight are with a full tank of gas, dogs and wife.)
Max weights shown in the owners manual.
GVWR (max truck weight) 7200
GVWR FR (Max Front axle) 3849
GVWR RR (Max Rear Axle) 4200
GVWRCL (Max weight truck and trailer) 15100

Truck weight empty
GVWR (truck weight) = 6360 Lbs
GVWR FR (Front axle) = 3620 Lbs
GVWR RR (Rear Axle) = 2840 Lbs

Truck with trailer attached
GVWR (truck weight) = 7160 (40 Lbs under max)
GVWR FR (Front axle) = 3540 (309 Lbs under Max)
GVWR RR (Rear Axle) = 3620 (580 Lbs under Max)
Trailer Axles = 6780 Lbs
GVWRCL (Total weight truck and trailer) = 13940 (1160 Lbs under Max)

13940 LBS - 6360 LBS = 7580 LBS Trailer Weight

This was done with just a few things in the trailer. I am sure I could add 500 to 1000 LBS total weight now! YIKES

I hope this give you a understanding the weights and why you should go ahead and get your truck to the scale.

Good Luck!!

2014 Denali 289RK
Old 03-02-2016, 08:20 AM   #27

Ohio
I did weigh my truck without the trailer. Here are my numbers.

Gvw:6900
Truck weight with me and a tank of gas: 5390
Towing capacity: 10,600

I really wanted to weigh my trailer before loading, but the weigh station was closed and not many are around here.

The paper values on my trailer are:
8200 dry weight.
925 tongue weight.

So I am figuring if I add about 1200 pounds of stuff, that will put me at 9400 lbs with a hitch weight of about 1128. 5390 (truck) + 1128 = 6,518. Almost 400 under my gvw.

What scared me is when it was said that sometimes trailers can be a lot over their "paper" weight empty.

Is my math correct? Wish I had been able to weigh empty.
Old 03-02-2016, 09:09 PM   #28

Missouri
Quote:
I did weigh my truck without the trailer. Here are my numbers.

Gvw:6900
Truck weight with me and a tank of gas: 5390
Towing capacity: 10,600

I really wanted to weigh my trailer before loading, but the weigh station was closed and not many are around here.

The paper values on my trailer are:
8200 dry weight.
925 tongue weight.

So I am figuring if I add about 1200 pounds of stuff, that will put me at 9400 lbs with a hitch weight of about 1128. 5390 (truck) + 1128 = 6,518. Almost 400 under my gvw.

What scared me is when it was said that sometimes trailers can be a lot over their "paper" weight empty.

Is my math correct? Wish I had been able to weigh empty.
I think your in good shape, you math seems correct. My data sheet showed my tongue weight as 933lbs and it ended up around 800lbs. If your trailer is heavier the the advertised weight, I would bet its only a few hundred off, so nothing major. Time to pack and hit the road! Enjoy your new TT!

2014 Denali 289RK
Old 03-04-2016, 09:59 PM   #29

Ohio
Ok I hit a snag. Weighed my trailer today it is about half loaded.

Trailer weighs 7900 with 1/3 water in the tank. Far under the total allowed weight.

Problem is that I weighed my truck and it is at 7100 lbs. gvw is 6900. This is crazy because empty was 5390. So with the trailer its adding 1720 lbs. Meaning 20% of the trailer weight is on my truck.

Now I did load a lot of stuff forward. The cargo bay, closet, and under the bed is up there. I have more stuff to load, but that is going to be in the back. So questions.

Will loading stuff in the back make the trailer lighter in the front? Should work like a lever.

Can my hitch be adjusted to the weight dist hitch shifts more weight off my truck?

This is not looking good right now.
Old 03-05-2016, 01:12 AM   #30

Missouri
Quote:
Ok I hit a snag. Weighed my trailer today it is about half loaded.

Trailer weighs 7900 with 1/3 water in the tank. Far under the total allowed weight.

Problem is that I weighed my truck and it is at 7100 lbs. gvw is 6900. This is crazy because empty was 5390. So with the trailer its adding 1720 lbs. Meaning 20% of the trailer weight is on my truck.

Now I did load a lot of stuff forward. The cargo bay, closet, and under the bed is up there. I have more stuff to load, but that is going to be in the back. So questions.

Will loading stuff in the back make the trailer lighter in the front? Should work like a lever. Yes it will help.

Can my hitch be adjusted to the weight dist hitch shifts more weight off my truck? I think this is you best option, Did you have your hitch on the two links? I'm thinking that you might need to be on the forth link like your dealer had it. By using more weight distribution, it put some of the weight back to the trailer on off of the truck. Your so close, I think with some tweeking on the set up of the hitch, your going to get the weight just under the max.

This is not looking good right now.
Read about in red

2014 Denali 289RK
Old 03-05-2016, 04:37 AM   #31

Ohio
I was actually on the 3rd link. Got that by jacking the back of the truck really far up. Don't know if I could take it higher.
Old 03-05-2016, 05:18 AM   #32

Ohio
Well that is good, I have about 500 lbs of crap to put bqck towards the rear. So much for storing my ammo under the bed.
Old 03-05-2016, 12:12 PM   #33

Missouri
Quote:
Well that is good, I have about 500 lbs of crap to put bqck towards the rear. So much for storing my ammo under the bed.
Just keep the gun loaded!

Ok I think you have done your due diligence on the weights. Time to quite sweating it and start enjoying the TT.

I am in the same boat as you with the trucks. Mine is also a 08, paid for and only have 80K miles. I will try to get a few more years out of it before I will even consider something new. I do know that the next truck will be a minimum of a 3/4 ton.

Just so you know I have traveled from St. Louis to Yellowstone without any trouble. For you just drive the Cajon Pass. Make it up and down, and you can go anywhere!

2014 Denali 289RK
Old 03-05-2016, 06:45 PM   #34

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricNSTL View Post
Just keep the gun loaded!

For you just drive the Cajon Pass. Make it up and down, and you can go anywhere!
So we are on vacation or retired and traveling around, take you time up and down hills enjoy the scenery. Found that taking hills in stride and not trying to keep up the speed took a few minutes longer but did not over work the tow vehicle.

Mike & Emily-Sacramento, CA
Our 4th trailer (2016 Aspen Trail 1900RB)
2018 F150 STX 2.7 Eco Boost
chily3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 03:28 AM   #35

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by chily3 View Post
So we are on vacation or retired and traveling around, take you time up and down hills enjoy the scenery. Found that taking hills in stride and not trying to keep up the speed took a few minutes longer but did not over work the tow vehicle.
That's the fun of being retired ain't it!!!

Best job I've ever had!

When I was a kid I was going nowhere fast, now I'm an old man I'm going everywhere slow.
hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 03:00 PM   #36

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by hddecker View Post
That's the fun of being retired ain't it!!!

Best job I've ever had!
Totally agreee

Mike & Emily-Sacramento, CA
Our 4th trailer (2016 Aspen Trail 1900RB)
2018 F150 STX 2.7 Eco Boost
chily3 is offline   Reply With Quote