Good, Great and Exceptional Service - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > General RV Related Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 09-07-2013, 01:36 AM   #1

British Columbia
Good, Great and Exceptional Service

I would like to propose a new sticky to give credit where credit is due.

We all seem to have complaints about one thing or another, but we don't see many complimentary posts when you have been provide with service that goes above and beyond.

This would a post for positive feedback only, (no rants about bad service) on service that we experience while travelling. It would be a great place to go to look for recommendations when your find yourself in the unfortunate position of need urgent service while on the road.

I would like to start it off by giving a big bouquet to all of the staff at Simmons Tire and Wheel.

Guess what the issue was.

We were about 4000 miles into our trip when the right side tires started to show serious positive camber wear. Being that if I were an American, I would be from the show me state, I decided I would make a few extra stops along that way, the dogs didn't seem to mind. At each stop I did my usual tap test for air loss, as well as doing my touchy feely test at every stop rather than just in the morning pre trip.

I found no cuts, abrasions or bulges during this ritual that caused many people to stop and look at this wing nut that was hugging his tires.

Now we are another 2000 miles along the way and I have ground the outside rib down to the wear bar. That was enough for me, I chickened out.

That's when I started looking for a tire shop in Corner Brook NL. By happystance Canadian Tire did not have what I needed and the only other tire store showing up on my Garmin was not where it was supposed to be. The next closest tire store on our way was show to be Simmons in Deer Lake NL.

We got to Deer Lake about 3:30 PM registered at the camp ground, then off to find Simmons. We arrive at the tire store about 3:40 and I meet my new best friend, Andy Simmons. He asks what he could do for me, we go to the trailer, he looks over the tires, checks the axles, finds the usual things that come up.

Andy takes me through his shop to the back bays, shows me which bay to back the trailer to.
By the time I drove around the back of the shop there was a tire tech there to back me in 3 more were on the way with 4 jacks.

I am taken to the warehouse and shown my options. Option one was a direct replacement, they didn't make me feel warm and fuzzy, so option 2 a tire with an F load range vs my old E rated tirea and an 85 instead of an 80. Yes they are a Chinese tire, but I am nor going to start a debate or report on the tire or brand until we get back home about another 10000 miles and month and a half from now.

So 4 guys, 4 jacks, 4 tires off, 2 guys on the tire changers, 1 on the balancer and one adjusting the brakes.

Tires start coming out going on, opps got to adjust the wheel bearings first and that can't do that with the tires on. Wheel bearings adjusted, tires on bill paid and on pur way in less than an hour. Andy is reasonably priced in the Canadian market and certainly does not try to pad the bill.

I felt like the queen bee with all of these worker bees buzzing around me.

I wish that every time we need help that it would be Andy and his wonderful family of worker bees that was right around the corner.

The first thing you should do is come on over to one of the best provinces in Canada, see the unique land the Newfoundlanders get to call home and sample some of the best food and meet some of the happiest friendly people that you could hope to meet. If you do come and have problem related to tires wheels brakes or bearings, push pull or drag your rig to Simmons Tire and Wheel. You will find them at 31 Old Bonn Bay Rd, deer Lake NL phone 709-635-5641.

Andy and staff Thank You for making our troubles into an experience that we will remeber fondly for may years to come.

hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 04:38 AM   #2

Florida
Just gotta say....

I love that ATTITUDE OF GRATITUDE. Thank you for passing it on and oh, if all of us would take time to do the same.
Bless you and all who read this.

GWBushhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 12:23 PM   #3

Quebec
I'm impressed HDDECKER .... you really get around! And thanks for the positive story about exceptional service. I have what I believe is turning out to be a very positive story about service. It comes from the company called TST (Truck Systems Technologies) in Georgia. I ordered a tire pressure monitoring system from them recently. When it arrived it wasn't exactly the model I expected, although it does seem to work fine. In any case, I had a few email exchanges with them to answer my questions and each time I was answered in about 2 hours by Dan Covington, a senior executive at the company. He was thorough in his responses and answered all my concerns - and also assured me that they would happily replace my unit if I so desired. How nice to be treated so well!
2012 GMC 2500HD Diesel
kevinmiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 02:05 PM   #4

Oklahoma
The third party kudos are great, now let the first party kudos roll. Forgive me for being the downer here but we need more good stories about the manufacturer and/or dealer.

Third party jobbers don't have any tie to your RV, a wheeel and tire is the same to them as well as any monitoring system.

I can pretty much count on getting a set of tires or fuel for my truck or a sandwich by a phone call or a stop. I'm sure I can't pull into the dealer and have him check my rig for a loose water line without an appointment.

The feel good stories need to be more manufacturer/dealer connected but perhaps that wasn't the intention of the original post.
Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 06:37 PM   #5

Quebec
I wish I had a real feel-good story about an RV manufacturer or dealer, but those stories are harder to come by!
2012 GMC 2500HD Diesel
kevinmiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 08:10 PM   #6

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundancer 87 View Post
The third party kudos are great, now let the first party kudos roll. Forgive me for being the downer here but we need more good stories about the manufacturer and/or dealer.

Third party jobbers don't have any tie to your RV, a wheeel and tire is the same to them as well as any monitoring system.

I can pretty much count on getting a set of tires or fuel for my truck or a sandwich by a phone call or a stop. I'm sure I can't pull into the dealer and have him check my rig for a loose water line without an appointment.

The feel good stories need to be more manufacturer/dealer connected but perhaps that wasn't the intention of the original post.
Hi, Sundancer

You are right I would love to here aboubt the feel good stories for Manfacturers and Dealers, but it seems that they may be a whole lot fewer than the feel good stories about third parties.

Yes you can get a tire and many other services along the way, but how many drop the local customers jobs to keep you rolling and in an hour. I know from past experience the big boys like Goodyear would not let you jump the que. Perhaps this would only happen someplace like Newfoundland, they are a very easy going, with a look after the other guy first attitude. When Andy told some of his regulars why he had taken his guys of of thier job, I heard not one of them grumble about it. It was just the right thing to do in their minds.

I doubt we will ever find a dealer that will take you in the minuet you walk in the door.

My hope in suggesting this thread was to create a resource that we could search went we have problems on the road and find a shop of any stripe that looks after you and makes you feel better about a bad situation.

I really would like to keep this to the positive stories, maybe another tread on shops to avoid would be a good idea.
Old 09-07-2013, 08:24 PM   #7

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinmiles View Post
I'm impressed HDDECKER .... you really get around! And thanks for the positive story about exceptional service. I have what I believe is turning out to be a very positive story about service. It comes from the company called TST (Truck Systems Technologies) in Georgia. I ordered a tire pressure monitoring system from them recently. When it arrived it wasn't exactly the model I expected, although it does seem to work fine. In any case, I had a few email exchanges with them to answer my questions and each time I was answered in about 2 hours by Dan Covington, a senior executive at the company. He was thorough in his responses and answered all my concerns - and also assured me that they would happily replace my unit if I so desired. How nice to be treated so well!
Hi, Kevin

If I had my way about it I would keep on going, but the better half insists on having a turn around point to start heading home.

I'm happy to hear about TST, I do a lot of internet shopping for my truck and trailer stuff, mainly because I find new stuff faster than it's arrival in Canada.

If I ever really convince myself that I want or need a TPMS they will be the first go to for me. I know many people swear by them, but I still do not trust every piece of tech that comes on the scene.

I've used the same proceedure on my all my tires for fifty years and have never had a blow out. I've had nails and screws, but I have always caught before it got to the stage where it caused trouble. The one time that I did have a go flat fast problem was when I ran over a piece of angle iron that was buried in the roadway.
Old 09-07-2013, 08:49 PM   #8

Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by hddecker View Post
Hi, Sundancer

You are right I would love to here aboubt the feel good stories for Manfacturers and Dealers, but it seems that they may be a whole lot fewer than the feel good stories about third parties.

Yes you can get a tire and many other services along the way, but how many drop the local customers jobs to keep you rolling and in an hour. I know from past experience the big boys like Goodyear would not let you jump the que. Perhaps this would only happen someplace like Newfoundland, they are a very easy going, with a look after the other guy first attitude. When Andy told some of his regulars why he had taken his guys of of thier job, I heard not one of them grumble about it. It was just the right thing to do in their minds.

I doubt we will ever find a dealer that will take you in the minuet you walk in the door.

My hope in suggesting this thread was to create a resource that we could search went we have problems on the road and find a shop of any stripe that looks after you and makes you feel better about a bad situation.

I really would like to keep this to the positive stories, maybe another tread on shops to avoid would be a good idea.
I see your point and agree with you, however, the question is, how many of us will be in your neck of the woods and need tire service? In that regard, how many of us would remember that company when we would need it.

I agree with giving kudos to people and companies that do us a good job. Those that go above the call of duty to satisfy our needs.

Enter in the prospect of 'expected' service. A service which we expect to receive for our dollar. Pretty much a rare thing these days.

What you encountered is what is called by some a 'value added' company. Your tire guy sells tires for a living but he went out of his way to service you quickly. That was the 'added' part, a little something extra that he didn't have to do but did. It could have been for several reasons but regardless, you found them to your liking. I can't blame you there and I hope there are other value added companies out there for us to experience in our travels.

Value added services provide advantages for both the customers and the service providers. Customers have the opportunity to receive something above and beyond their basic needs. Providers benefit from an increased rapport with the client, which could translate into more revenue. These additional custom services often cost the company little extra but have the potential to significantly enhance the growth and the reputation of the company.

Now for my feel good story of this year.
I made a reservation, on line, for one night stay at a KOA somewhere where I have forgotten already. Due to my not paying attention to the calendar I made a mistake and had to cancel the reservation. Cancellations fees at KOAs are 10 bucks. Ten dollars won't break my bank so I ate it and reconfigured my trip with a stop at the same KOA a day later.

Arrived at the KOA, checked in and was notified by the owner/operator that he noticed I had cancelled and then rebooked the reservation for a different day. He went on to say that he credited my card with the ten dollar cancellation fee since I booked with him for a later date.

He didn't have to do that since I had accepted my mistake but I did appreciate his appreciation of me as a valuable customer.
Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 03:00 PM   #9

British Columbia

Hi, Sundancer,
As most of use have some sort of web capable device, I was hoping that we would have a resource to do a quick search to see if there may be a recommended provider in the area we are in.

AZ is one of our favorite states and when we are in your neck of the woods it would be nice to see if there was a provider close by that has done right by another RVer.

In my other life as a motorcyclist, I have come across several HD dealers who have given me the same type of service that Andy and his staff gave me. Also on the other side of the spectrum, dealers that treated me like dirt.

Guess what kind of review I have given each. If I broke down in front of the guy that treats people poorly, I would get a tow if I had to just so they understand that people who give good service get rewarded. And to prove the point I would go in to their shop and tell them why they won't get my bussiness.

That's the part I love about all the grey hair, I don't take crap from crappy provieders any more.
Old 09-08-2013, 08:35 PM   #10

Indiana
I also, have some very good feel good stories of tire stores and truck/automotive repair facilities. I've also, had some very good, some other brand, RV Repair facilities that have given me exceptional service.

To this point I have yet to find a Dutchmen authorized RV dealer that is worth their own weight. At this time, the people at Dutchmen manufacturing are passive and non responsive. I'm no longer under warranty and Dutchmen responses are lame if any response at all.

When I was under warranty we had a very nice women (Cindy Walker) at Dutchmen that we were involved with every month until it had run out. We felt very comfortable with her and she always responded no matter what within a day.

2012 Dutchmen 3850RL
Infinityrver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 02:36 AM   #11
Chapter Director

Send a message via Skype™ to gonervn
Ohio
It might be nice if we had a place to put recommendations on service if your in a certain area. I have several feel good stories with a Dealer General in Brownstown, Mi and third parties. The General dealer went out of his way to get be on the road with an issue I had. They kept open late so I would have time to get there.

Findlay, Oh.
gonervn is offline   Reply With Quote