Golf Carts... Let's Talk About Them - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > General RV Related Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 01-25-2017, 01:30 AM   #1

Wyoming
Golf Carts... Let's Talk About Them

Ok, I don't think this has been talked about much here...

Since my ability to ride a motorcycle this season is still in doubt, I've been toying around with the idea of buying a golf cart and bringing it with me in the garage. I see plenty of them being used at nearly every campground I visit (some rented, some owned)... and since I'm still recovering and can't really do a lot of things yet, that means I'll probably be spending a lot more time at the campground than I normally would, and figured having one might be useful.

The thing is, other than riding in one on the golf course... I don't really know much about them. It seems the 2 big players in the game are Club Car and E-Z GO. The other things I know...

* I know there are personal, sport, utility, and commercial types.

* I know there's gas or electric.

* I know there's 2-seaters, 2-seaters with a rear bench, 4-seaters, limo-type, etc.

* I know there are "normal" & raised.

* And finally, there are "street legal" types.

I think I'd prefer either an electric 'personal' or 'sport' type 2-seat with a convertible rear bench (bench seat to cargo). If it was street legal that'd be nice, but I think they all have gas engines instead of electric motors. Still not sure about raised or normal. Raised would allow me to negotiate non-paved areas, but not sure how much additional maintenance & upkeep they'd require.

Finally, what accessories are available... and which ones are really useful & worth having (rain protection), and which are just fluff?

So... if any of you have one, I'd appreciate your thoughts.

One note: I thought about an ATV or a side-by-side... but they both run on gas, and to be honest, they aren't much use east of the Mississippi unless you know someone who's land you can run around on. So, while I like the idea, that's not really the market I'm looking at.

2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
ATCguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 01:58 AM   #2

Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATCguy View Post

Since my ability to ride a motorcycle this season is still in doubt, I've been toying around with the idea of buying a golf cart and bringing it with me in the garage. I see plenty of them being used at nearly every campground I visit (some rented, some owned)... and since I'm still recovering and can't really do a lot of things yet, that means I'll probably be spending a lot more time at the campground than I normally would, and figured having one might be useful.

The thing is, other than riding in one on the golf course... I don't really know much about them. It seems the 2 big players in the game are Club Car and E-Z GO. The other things I know...

* I know there's 2-seaters, 2-seaters with a rear bench, 4-seaters, limo-type, etc.

I think I'd prefer either an electric 'personal' or 'sport' type 2-seat with a convertible rear bench (bench seat to cargo). If it was street legal that'd be nice, but I think they all have gas engines instead of electric motors. Still not sure about raised or normal. Raised would allow me to negotiate non-paved areas, but not sure how much additional maintenance & upkeep they'd require.

Finally, what accessories are available... and which ones are really useful & worth having (rain protection), and which are just fluff?

One note: I thought about an ATV or a side-by-side... but they both run on gas, and to be honest, they aren't much use east of the Mississippi unless you know someone who's land you can run around on. So, while I like the idea, that's not really the market I'm looking at.
I have noticed the golf carts at every sight I have been. On our first trip I thought it was dumb. But after seeing how many short little trips we took around the camp ground in our truck now I think having one would be a great idea. Interested in seeing the feed back you get on this.

BarryD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 08:37 AM   #3

Michigan
I have had golf carts for many years, and have done alot of customizing on them. Club Car uses a Aluminum frame, EzGo uses steel, so if looking at a used one, check the frame for rust. Some campgrounds only allow electric. Batteries for electric carts can run as much as $800 for a set, and last a average of 5-6 years. Carts are fairly easy to work on and modify. Carts weigh an average of 800 to 900 lbs. Factory speed is governed at 14mph, but that can be quickly changed on a gas cart, electrics require at bit more work. Feel free to ask more question, i will try to answer them
Old 01-25-2017, 10:27 AM   #4

Illinois
Great post Tom. I'm in the market myself since we no longer bring the Harley to Florida for the winter. Ideally looking for two people and an easy to access rear deck for a 96 lb lab to get on. I'll be following this one closely. Betting Aaron or Pirate could build me one!
Rusty
2005 Harley Ultra Classic w/too many miles
lcv800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 10:41 AM   #5

Florida
A raised one is going to be a lot better when trying to get up the ramp over the beaver tail. So would be a shorter framed one. This might also be true putting them on a trailer. But both of these types might present more of a rollover potential in sharp turns.
Street legal ones are allowed on a lot of streets here in Florida towns where speed limits are less than 35 mph. So you could possibly use it to run up to the grocery store.
I agree about frame rust (and battery compartment floor).
The battery charger is pretty heavy, and might be an issue during your recovery period.
Thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 03:44 PM   #6

Pennsylvania
Sounds familiar, sold the bike when the DW became disabled and couldn’t ride anymore. Bought a 2002 Club Car Villager-4 at Ocean Lakes Carts in Myrtle Beach about 5 years ago. Saved a thousand bucks buying there since that’s golf cart heaven. It’s electric and not lifted. Loads just fine, no scraping. It does not have the regen controller though, but still runs as good as I ever need tops out at 15mph (street legal tops out at 19 or 20mph?). I have taken it on some trails in Florida and Mercer County in PA. Did fine, climbs like a goat but didn’t push it too far, it’s a street cart. I was thinking of trading it on a street legal one since they have passed “Neighborhood Electric Vehicle” laws here in PA. It’s not a well-known law here yet. Was thinking of this brand since they have aluminum frames and all the good stuff Club Cars have, plus come with fancy wheels etc. right from the factory. Looked at them at a dealer and they are very well built. Street legal electric too. Street Legal Electric Vehicle | Street Legal Golf Car

Ours...
Edit: Added the rain side roll downs (love them), side view mirrors, digital battery condition indicator (voltmeter), Dash board with lockable glove boxes, Fancy steering wheel, and the DOT tires with fancy wheels (the stock turf tires bounced too much).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0359.jpg
Views:	287
Size:	54.8 KB
ID:	3845  

2015 Voltage 3305, Gone for Good !
2014 Ram 3500 dually, Aisin, Gone but not Forgotten.
2018 Winnebago Sunstar 32YE
thompwil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 09:50 PM   #7

Michigan
He is interested in one because of a health issue, so I dont believe you comment was necessary. Not trying to be rude, but I constantly see comments on forums that dont really answer any of the questioned being asked.
Old 01-25-2017, 09:54 PM   #8

Tennessee
I would suggest considering and LSV (low speed vehicle). Most of them have speeds up to 25mph and are street legal anywhere the speed limit is 35mph or less. ( there are a few exceptions ). I own 2 of them. One is an ez-go 2-five and the other one is a GEM (Made by Polaris). They do cost more than a golf cart but you can find good used ones fairly reasonable. There are a lot of places where golf carts are not allowed but lsvs are. Just make sure you measure the length of whatever you decide on. A golf cart with the rear flipdown seat option will probably fill your 10 ft garage end to end with little, if any, room to spare. Not sure about club car, but you can replace the battery tray in an ezgo if its rusted out. I just put one in my brother-in-laws for around $150.
2012 EZ-GO 2FIVE LSV 2014 Gem E4 LSV
3wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 09:55 PM   #9

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xcessive Carts View Post
He is interested in one because of a health issue, so I dont believe you comment was necessary. Not trying to be rude, but I constantly see comments on forums that dont really answer any of the questioned being asked.
I deleted it because it was not written properly. Thanks for your note o this.

Mike & Emily-Sacramento, CA
Our 4th trailer (2016 Aspen Trail 1900RB)
2018 F150 STX 2.7 Eco Boost
chily3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 10:00 PM   #10

Michigan
Options

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATCguy View Post

As far as options go, there are a unbelievable amount of things made for carts. But, if you are considering a lifted cart, measure the height of the cart at the top of the roof, then measure the opening of your trailer. Lifted carts can be as much as 10" higher after the lift and the oversized tires. Rear seat kits cost between $300 and $600, and installing them takes a hour or 2, but is fairly easy. You can change the body, roof style, add a dashboard, stereo, custom lighting....I have had 6 carts over the past 15 years and have spent as much as $11,000 on just one cart. I even started a side business customizing carts at the campground where we have one of our trailers setup permanently. You can find almost anything you want for a cart on eBay. Just be mindful of shipping cost on large heavy items for a cart. If I can answer anymore question, feel free to ask me.
Old 01-25-2017, 10:08 PM   #11

Tennessee
I just re-read you're post and noticed you mentioned rain protection. LSVs come with windshield wipers and most of them have optional enclosures. My GEM has "soft" doors that are easily removable. It also has an optional heater for those cool days. I would say that there are probably more aftermarket accessories available for the GEM than any other lsv.
Old 01-25-2017, 10:31 PM   #12

ATCguy... i have a golf cart because I cannot walk distances due to injuries also. I was one of the best things i purchased to go with our camper which if u remember is the same as yours. I have learned that the 48 volt is the best. Plan to put a bunch of money into it unless you want to keep it plain jane. As stated before most things,,most,,, are easily done. When I lifted mine it took me and two guys on the rear. When you disconnect the axles the weight of the motor wants to make it flip over.. The front was a piece of cake. You will find quickly the stock motor is good for a golf course but marginal for camping grounds or at least the larger ones. I like mine a little faster but just changing out the motor for a faster one is not the only thing you must do.. You need to change out the controller box to a 400 to 600 amp and the solenoid to make a match.. the more powerful motor pulls a lot more juice from the batteries then change out the battery cables to handle the higher amp draw.
I added lighting underneath, in the dash and put a overhead radio in mine. Fancy rims and tires . I did install what you want the rear seat or cargo hold by flipping the seat over.. a great thing to have.
Be very careful in lifting the cart. make sure it clears your happy jack bed overhead. I could only go 4 inches i think it was..Also the rear seat is added weight when u have passengers on the rear. Make sure you install leaf springs to accommodate the added weight on the rear.
The batteries i find for 100 to 106 apiece if you shop around. Trojan batteries seem to be the top of the line although some will argue with you on that point.
After you get it how you wish, maintenance is nothing. I recommend electric.. No maintenance except air in tires and occasionally putting distilled water in batteries.
My wife uses the cart to go to the bath house and we use it to roam around , go on trails and haul things around the house. We used it so much i bought a second cart i keep in my barn I call my beater. I use it around my farm so I dont mess up our nice cart anymore.
If you want it street legal for a tag most golf cart places can do that and its really not much.. mirrors, turn signals, head lights, tail lights, brake lights and a special windshield they usually loan you to pass the state inspection then put the original back in. Saves you bucks.
Im no expert but have a lot of experience with ours.. even our daughter bought one. They have an ez go and i have club carts. Both have pros and cons but both are great carts.
I hope this helps some..
Tanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 10:49 PM   #13

Tennessee
Just make sure you check local laws wherever you go if you decide to go the golf cart route. Just because your dealer says its street legal doesn't mean the local DMV will agree. There are some places that golf carts are not street legal period. Seat belts, lights, horn, etc. don't matter. But then there are other places that let golf carts ride all over town. Just make sure you check before you go.
Old 01-25-2017, 11:07 PM   #14
Site Team

North Carolina
We have not one but 3 of them things around here, unfortunately ours are a maintenance headache because my FIL is a cheapskate... We have one EZ-GO and two Club Cars. No real issues with either one. None of ours are lifted and we run them all over the farm, down the hay field when it has been mowed, etc. Occasionally one will get "mired up", but it can be pulled out with another cart or a larger vehicle. I prefer the 48 volt over the 36 volt. Trojan batteries are the ONLY way to go. Two of ours have solar panels on top so they can charge while they are parked in the sun. One has the soft side rain curtains on it, works great and made my MIL happy. I would suggest the two seater with the flip down deck/seat in the back rather than a stretch. Our dog loves to ride on them, as long he is on the cart he is happy, doesn't matter where.

Around here "street legal" doesn't exist. However in a couple of nearby towns, as long as they have lights, turn signals and a town plate they are considered street legal.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 12:19 AM   #15

California
The best website that I've found for all things Golfcart is BuggiesGoneWild.com. Great Info. If I would have gone there Before I bought mine I might have ended up with a different one.
Old 01-26-2017, 03:07 PM   #16

California
I find it a great way to go around and meet your campground neighbor's.
I painted mine to match the Voltage full body paint.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	october 2016 backup 243.jpg
Views:	289
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	3847  
Old 01-26-2017, 04:41 PM   #17

Colorado
My wife and I used to ride a Harley but with her MS we decided that was foolish. We now have a Kawasaki Teryx4 and a golf cart. Depending on our destination we take one or the other. The golf cart is a 36 volt Electric EZ GO that is lifted. Has the rear facing seat / platform. The charger stays in the golf bag bay under the rear seat so we're not lifting it in and out. Our Voltage 3950 has a Queen loft bed which extends into the garage. I cut / lowered the cart roof by about 6" to clear the bed. The cart works great and is awesome for getting around. We've discovered that carts are not always allowed on city streets AND many campgrounds do NOT allow the gas carts. Just an FYI.
4 grandkids, 1 Yellow Lab, 1 Kubota Tractor
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 08:01 PM   #18

Arizona
Will the Wing and a golf cart fit in your garage?
azdryheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 09:26 PM   #19

Azdryheat..... I have the same size voltage as ATCGuy does... By coincidence we also have the same MC..I can carry two Goldwings in my bay doing this all the time and have carried my Goldwing and one of my golf carts. If i put my modified golf cart into the bay the tires are larger and wider and it will not fit in the bay with the MC. The problem is not being able to strap the MC down to the floor hooks.. there just is not enough width if you have a modified golf cart... basically its a PITA to carry both so I do not any more.. I drug both to Maine and back to Florida..Next time the bike only no golf cart.
Tanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 09:59 PM   #20

Wyoming
Thanks for all of the feedback everyone... I appreciate it.

Still mulling options st this point. If I get the cart, I wouldn't be taking the bike. It's an either-or thing.

The biggest issue I see right now is... as has been mentioned... is size.

As for length, anything larger than a 2-seat cart (no rear bench) won't fit in my garage with my washer/dryer unit on a center-load... and even that would be tight. I suppose I could load it to the side opposite the W/D if I remove my tool cart & chest.

In re height, I already have the lower "rollover benches/bed" removed, so that shouldn't be an issue, even if I got a cart with a 4-6" raise.

Like I said, still considering options... even considering trading the Goldwing in on one instead of buying one outright.

2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
ATCguy is offline   Reply With Quote