Going to Alaska - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > General RV Related Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 11-04-2012, 04:31 PM   #1

Going to Alaska

The wife and I are planning a trip to Alaska next year so I will be asking the ones that have been there lots of info over the next few months. One thing we would really love to see is the aurora borealis which we both have never seen. The problem is most of the summer is daylight in that latitude and stops visitors during that time from actually seeing the northern lights.

Were thinking leaving late summer here in Fla and getting to Alaska at the end of the Denali season at the end of August or early Sept. Is it dark enough during that time of year to see the northern lights or how many hours of darkness can we expect then?

I realize were flirting with an early snows and may have to stay longer till the roads are cleared if necessary. Has anyone visited that late in the year and witnessed the lights or had snow problems where they could not leave and head south again or visit other parts of Alaska.?

Tanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 02:46 PM   #2
jim

Idaho
Red face Alaska trip

Great trip yes the lights are out at that time,go on line and buy the milepost book,it gives you mile after mile services and phone numbers,you will need this book trust me. very few services and less towing and tire repair,that road is a killer on rvs meany rvers come back with damages.

jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 08:27 AM   #3

That sounds like a fantastic trip. One me & my good lady would like to make in the future... Keep us posted.

Colin & Karen
Calgary Alberta
2012 3500 Longhorn Ram Crew Cab
2012 Dutchmen Sport 265 BHS
FlyingDutchmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 02:30 AM   #4

Montana
The road was a killer in '85, and I expected the same in '03. But I was shocked. They "paved" it, and eliminated all the places we could pull off the highway. Nice drive, very enjoyable.
You can expect freezing weather from Montana north, so I'd winterize the trailer water system. But you probably know all this kind of stuff, right?
Have a fun trip.
Vern.
Bozeman, Montana
Vern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 02:22 AM   #5

Illinois
hey are we related now?
flyingdutchmen0625 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 04:13 AM   #6

Montana
Uhhh. Related? By virtue of having traveled to Alaska?

I could tell you some fun stories of what it was like 'way back in '85. Interested?
Old 11-16-2012, 11:31 AM   #7

Texas
LOL I was stationed up in Fairbanks for two yrs with the Air Force back in the early 70's enjoyed that stay and would love to go back also. will plan a trip soon I hope
aapcon131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 03:20 PM   #8

British Columbia
We went last August and the roads were great, the only pothole I hit was on hwy 37 in BC (Bring Cash) our home province. Make sure you carry at least one 5 gallon container of fuel if not 2, we almost ran out of fuel twice while enroute. The US economy has taken a real toll on the businesses that sell fuel and lodge RV's, I would guess at least half are boarded up along the way. This was a great trip and I highly recommend it. If your a train buff the ride from Carcross to Skagway on the WP&Y railway was very cool. We rode the rail and returned via Bus, so we got to see the best of both roadways.
grump010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 04:03 PM   #9

Grump-=---Fuel brings up and interesting point. I had planned on carrying on-board about 15 gallons of diesel bought in the lower states where it is probably cheaper than Canada or Alaska just in case we run low especially on the Dalton Hwy. Is there a problem transporting fuel across the border that is not in the gas tanks of the vehicle? Is there a limit if any one knows.?
Tanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 06:00 PM   #10

British Columbia
Grump0101....did u go to Atlin and or Telegraph Creek ? In a previous life I took the bus from Whitehorse to Atlin via Carcross return. Very interesting trip.
Drove 97 north to from PG to Ft. Nelson many times...not in the winter though.
Drove to Dease Lake and Telegraph Creek from Smithers and Terrace..good trip..but not in the winter.
Great scenery and good roads.
Coop
Canada
Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 11:58 PM   #11

British Columbia
Tanman,
I'm not sure what the laws are for private vehicles, I've always carried what I needed without issue. On some occasions it would be as many as 8 to 10 - 5 gallon containers if we're going out into the back country lakes for more than a week. That said in my work truck I'm limited to 99 gallons in an axillary tank due to it being a commercial vehicle and it has to be placarded with a hazardous goods sign.

Cooper,
Yes we did go into Atlin, what a beautiful town. We stayed at a waterfront RV park just outside of Carcross and did a day trip for lunch. The trip I'm looking forward too is Hwy 16 west from Prince George then north up 37 through the Meziadin Junction with a side trip over the Bear Pass to Stewart and of course Hyder to get as you said before Hydarized. Once back at the Junction continue up to Dease Lake and around clockwise back into Northern BC and back to Prince George through the Pine Pass, beautiful country. I enjoyed the trip Last August, but I realized that I don't need to go as far north in order to see incredibly beautiful scenery and by shortening the trip we would be able to spend more time camping and fishing.

Cheers
Daryl B.
grump010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 12:50 AM   #12

Illinois
2 flying dutchmen
Old 11-17-2012, 12:51 AM   #13

Illinois
pirates if you will
Old 11-17-2012, 01:25 AM   #14

Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by aapcon131 View Post
LOL I was stationed up in Fairbanks for two yrs with the Air Force back in the early 70's enjoyed that stay and would love to go back also. will plan a trip soon I hope
I retired from the Air Force in '79, and made two trips to Eilson AFB at Fairbanks in early 70s. Nuclear business.

I loved seeing a young bull moose wander right down main street at 2 a.m. Nobody around to bother it.