Going rate per kWh for electricity at an RV park? - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > General RV Related Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 12-17-2019, 07:52 PM   #1

Washington
Going rate per kWh for electricity at an RV park?

This is the first time we have been locked down for more than a month at an RV park with our Toy Hauler. So we're paying by the kWh for electricity. The monthly contract does not state a rate for electricity usage other than "the highest amount allowable by CA law".
Point being we just racked up[ $216 in an electricity bill for November. We don't run much electricity other than the fridge and the fireplace (no need for A/C), so I am curious what others think. This is nearly 3x what we spend on our 4000 sqft home in the summer months with the air conditioning running!

Old 12-17-2019, 08:53 PM   #2

California
Seems high to me. California has high rates and the “highest allowable by law” might be the top tier for peak usage and they are charging you that around the clock not just during peak times. Or it could be an arbitrary rate unrelated to actual. With no AC running you should have been next to nothing. Like maybe $50.

Old 12-17-2019, 10:18 PM   #3

Wyoming
At my current location in Arizona it’s 12¢ per kw/hr, plus a monthly $10 service charge for the meter.

Last year's site was 12½¢ per kw/hr... and at another place I stayed the year before that the rate was 14¢.

All of that said, for me a $200/mo electric bill is about average. Sometimes lower, sometimes higher. But I've got 3 AC units on the roof that run damn near continuously in summer (depending on location), and I run small ceramic disc heaters in the winter instead of burning propane in the furnace (tried it both ways, the electric heaters are cheaper for me).

I also have a no-vent washer/dryer unit in the rig, and the heating unit for the dryer portion pulls a lot of juice.

Plus there's the TV & audio system, water heater, lights, computer, phone & ipad chargers, etc. It all adds up pretty quick.
2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
ATCguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 01:42 PM   #4

California
@ATCGuy, I think $200 for your usage seems about right running 3 A/C units and electric heaters but the OP states he doesn’t use his A/C at all which is why it seems high to me. I have a feeling his place is profiting mightily on electricity.

Regardless if the OP asks the park to let him know what the kWh charge is he can then compare that to what utility companies charge and he will know.

The “highest rate allowed by law” is an indication to me they are not reasonable.
Old 12-19-2019, 02:07 PM   #5

Florida
When we were in Virginia, the campground made us post a $100.00 deposit for electricity. We were there three weeks and got $68.00 back. One thing I learned is that I should take a picture of the meter when it's installed and when it's ended. I don't believe it is legal to make a profit on the electricity you use, that would make them a provider and will be regulated like any other utility provider since basically they are buying and reselling electric services.

You should be able to look up the rates for providers in the area you are staying and the phrase "the highest amount provided by CA law" means to me that they may be charging a rate they found for somewhere in California other than where you are staying.

Best way to combat this is to leave a review on some of the websites (like https://www.campgroundreviews.com )about the campground possibly overcharging for electricity.

I always check these reviews (trip advisor also) to find out if anyone had any issues. Good topic, thanks for posting it.

Frank
franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2019, 10:07 PM   #6

Michigan
We are in Florida and our's is about $60.00, but we are billed by the power company not the park. Do they actually meter your electric?
capeharj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2019, 03:42 AM   #7

Florida
I'm in central Florida and my highest bill was $120 for 24/7 AC, electric water heater and ventless dryer. Considering 750 hours in a 31 day month (August) at a rate of $0.13 kwh (Duke Energy), I used 923 kwh of power that month. Assuming you used the same amount (not likely) your bill of $216 would be at a rate of $0.23 per kwh. The average rate in California was $0.18 this year. Your bill seems a bit steep...

jthendersonphd is offline   Reply With Quote