Generator stopped running—solved - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > General RV Related Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 03-03-2019, 03:40 PM   #1

California
Generator stopped running—solved

So this weekend I am out in the desert and after a couple of hours my generator just quits. After several attempts to start it nothing works and the starter just cranks.

I check in the rig and no blown fuses.

I pull the cover and open the screw to drain the float bowl and no fuel at all. I have 20 plus gallons of new fuel in the tank and just ran the generator 9 days ago for 3 days on and off while dry camping with no issues. I am anal on exercising the generator every month or two since I have owned it and occasionally run Stabil if I think the fuel might sit for a while.

I pull the fuel line below the filter and I get flow so I decide either the filter is completely blocked (unlikely but possible) or the carb is gummed up (more likely) and then I start browsing this forum and reading about the fuel pump issues reported by many I assume that could be it but also not likely as those issues seem to be on hot days and it is 50 degrees out.

I start thinking it is probably the carburetor I will need to buy and install a new one. While watching a YouTube video I notice you can hear the fuel pump when priming before the guy restarts his and when I prime mine the light works but I don’t hear anything. I then start checking around to see if there is a bad connection and low and behold there is a fuse holder inside the generator right by the fuel pump that is tucked back in to the left that I never saw. I pop it open and see a blown 7.5 amp fuse. I install a new one and we are all good.

This seems like a really unusual situation because I haven’t seen a post on here or anywhere else that talks about the fuse. I have no idea why it blew as the generator was running on a cool night in the desert but something caused it and the replacement fuse is still good so appears to be a random issue.

So after this long post I just wanted everyone to know there is a fuse in your generator that could be a culprit for all of you down the road if your generator quits sometime. Nice easy and cheap fix!

Old 03-03-2019, 03:53 PM   #2

Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsol View Post
So this weekend I am out in the desert and after a couple of hours my generator just quits. After several attempts to start it nothing works and the starter just cranks.

I check in the rig and no blown fuses.

I pull the cover and open the screw to drain the float bowl and no fuel at all. I have 20 plus gallons of new fuel in the tank and just ran the generator 9 days ago for 3 days on and off while dry camping with no issues. I am anal on exercising the generator every month or two since I have owned it and occasionally run Stabil if I think the fuel might sit for a while.

I pull the fuel line below the filter and I get flow so I decide either the filter is completely blocked (unlikely but possible) or the carb is gummed up (more likely) and then I start browsing this forum and reading about the fuel pump issues reported by many I assume that could be it but also not likely as those issues seem to be on hot days and it is 50 degrees out.

I start thinking it is probably the carburetor I will need to buy and install a new one. While watching a YouTube video I notice you can hear the fuel pump when priming before the guy restarts his and when I prime mine the light works but I don’t hear anything. I then start checking around to see if there is a bad connection and low and behold there is a fuse holder inside the generator right by the fuel pump that is tucked back in to the left that I never saw. I pop it open and see a blown 7.5 amp fuse. I install a new one and we are all good.

This seems like a really unusual situation because I haven’t seen a post on here or anywhere else that talks about the fuse. I have no idea why it blew as the generator was running on a cool night in the desert but something caused it and the replacement fuse is still good so appears to be a random issue.

So after this long post I just wanted everyone to know there is a fuse in your generator that could be a culprit for all of you down the road if your generator quits sometime. Nice easy and cheap fix!
Glad you got it sorted out I was thinking fuel pump all the while reading this I did not know about the fuse good to know thank you!

scottxpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 04:45 PM   #3

California
Gen ID

Thanks for the write up! Which generator are you discussing? Make, model, watts, vintage?
Drinks of choice: any great bourbon-San Diego’s craft beer
Beachbourbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 02:28 AM   #4

Florida
Thanks for sharing that info. could save someone a lot of troubleshooting.
Old 03-04-2019, 04:50 AM   #5

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachbourbon View Post
Thanks for the write up! Which generator are you discussing? Make, model, watts, vintage?

Sorry, didn’t realize I hadn’t mentioned the type, Onan gas 5500. Fairly typical for RV’s with 2 A/C’s.
Old 03-04-2019, 12:29 PM   #6

Texas
Perfect, now I need to find my fuse and but a tag on it.

Thanks, dsol great post

CSCLARK is offline   Reply With Quote