Generator door open or closed? - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > General RV Related Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 02-08-2021, 11:18 PM   #1

Connecticut
Generator door open or closed?

Nrw to my Voltage 5th wheel. The onan is in the front of the rig sitting with the batteries. When I run it should the enclosure door be open? The exhaust is routed out and below the rig.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	7CDFB7C2-4392-4AD3-8186-C1170FB5CFD3.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	6655  

Mattf301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 03:57 AM   #2

North Carolina
Closed. They pull air from underneath and are designed to run with it closed.

1997 keystone Cougar gone but not forgotten
Snafu82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 03:12 PM   #3

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snafu82 View Post
Closed. They pull air from underneath and are designed to run with it closed.

Agree, and I was told if I’m in a dusty environment that it is a good idea to set a piece of plywood directly underneath the generator on the ground to prevent dust from being pulled into the generator. There is an air filter but it gets dirty.
Old 02-10-2021, 01:18 AM   #4

Florida
With the Florida heat I leave mine unlatched hanging (cracked open)
Ovalvw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 02:05 AM   #5

North Carolina
I have the same generator on my old rig, only it’s in a black case. Had an issue of it only running for a few minutes, then shutting off. Thought it was over heating based on the heat that was coming out of it. Turned out to be fuel pump. After talking with “Cummins” the it’s designed to run hot with the cover on. Apparently it uses the cover for air flow. The fuel pump from cummins was over $200. Got the Mr. Gasket pump from autozone and problem solved.
Old 02-10-2021, 10:03 PM   #6

Washington
For proper operation the door is to be closed; however, with the unit exhausting under the trailer insure there is good air movement to remove the exhaust from under the trailer. You don't want the exhaust sitting under the trailer or seeping inside. I've even seen people put a small fan under the trailer on the ground when the air is still to blow the exhaust away. Just be safe.
Logging the miles in the USA. Adventure awaits around every corner.
kjlarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 03:45 PM   #7

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjlarson View Post
For proper operation the door is to be closed; however, with the unit exhausting under the trailer insure there is good air movement to remove the exhaust from under the trailer. You don't want the exhaust sitting under the trailer or seeping inside. I've even seen people put a small fan under the trailer on the ground when the air is still to blow the exhaust away. Just be safe.

My Voltage has an exhaust pipe on the driver’s side that directs the exhaust out that way. I am really surprised that any generators exhaust underneath as you describe. That seems really dangerous.

I could see hot air radiating off the generator maybe that settles underneath but not exhaust gasses. A fan might move hot air away but shouldn’t be needed for exhaust gasses.
Old 02-13-2021, 04:57 PM   #8

North Carolina
I was referring to the heat transfer. I was concerned as well with exhaust pipe location, in fact I made a “ gentury” that turns the exhaust up about 2’ over the roof. Was a pain to set up. I the. invested in quality co2 monitor and mounted it in the bedroom. We don’t run the generator when we go to sleep. I’ve never had the alarm go off or had any elevated co2 readings. I did quite a bit of research years ago. The only first hand evidence I found was with rigs parked really close and “contaminating” the rig next to you with generator exhaust. The example was from a NASCAR event with just a few feet between rigs. Hope this helps
Old 02-14-2021, 03:29 AM   #9

California
Gen cover.

The cover on the gen must be on for proper cooling. If you wanted to leave trailer access door open it shouldn’t make any difference. You absolutely must have a smoke and carbon dioxide detector. They are affordable at Home Depot. I wouldn’t sleep in mine with out the operating detector, and you should check it frequently.
larrypride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 05:06 PM   #10

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snafu82 View Post
I was referring to the heat transfer. I was concerned as well with exhaust pipe location, in fact I made a “ gentury” that turns the exhaust up about 2’ over the roof. Was a pain to set up. I the. invested in quality co2 monitor and mounted it in the bedroom. We don’t run the generator when we go to sleep. I’ve never had the alarm go off or had any elevated co2 readings. I did quite a bit of research years ago. The only first hand evidence I found was with rigs parked really close and “contaminating” the rig next to you with generator exhaust. The example was from a NASCAR event with just a few feet between rigs. Hope this helps

Got it. I don’t run the generator overnight. I have never needed air conditioning at night—just heat and no issues for me setting the thermostat and running heat overnight on battery.
Old 02-15-2021, 12:51 AM   #11

North Carolina
��Yeah heat runs off lp and 12v. Unless you have a heat pump ac unit on the roof.
Old 02-19-2021, 07:50 PM   #12

Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by larrypride View Post
The cover on the gen must be on for proper cooling. If you wanted to leave trailer access door open it shouldn’t make any difference. You absolutely must have a smoke and carbon dioxide detector. They are affordable at Home Depot. I wouldn’t sleep in mine with out the operating detector, and you should check it frequently.
I Was talking about the trailer access door.
Old 02-20-2021, 02:17 PM   #13

California
No reason to leave the access door open. Probably quieter if closed and no better cooling when open.
Old 02-20-2021, 03:46 PM   #14

Connecticut
Thanks for the help. Not going to be boondocking a lot but needed to know. It’s an expensive piece of equipment. I drained the fuel tank and float bowl.
Old 02-20-2021, 05:36 PM   #15

North Carolina
On my old one I kept a spare fuel pump and carb. Used them both throughout the years. I mostly use mine going to a full hookup site if it was hot out. About an hour out from the location I’d crank it and turn the ac’s on. Made the old lady happy setting with it not 90 degrees inside. It also “ exercised” the generator on a regular basis.
Oh and I’d also keep the tank topped off to prevent condensation, and kept staybil in the gas as well.
Old 02-20-2021, 06:23 PM   #16

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattf301 View Post
Thanks for the help. Not going to be boondocking a lot but needed to know. It’s an expensive piece of equipment. I drained the fuel tank and float bowl.

I run fuel stabilizer when I fill up the gas tank if I know it might be a while before running the generator again and let it run for a while. The stabilizer also protects the fuel in the tank. And I try to find 91 octane without ethanol if possible as that goes bad too. Also, like others suggest run it monthly for an hour with a load on it to exercise it too. When starting for the first time in more than a few days hold the prime button a good 15 seconds which will be longer than it takes for the light to go on before starting it.
Old 02-20-2021, 07:26 PM   #17

Connecticut
Going to empty the tank completely. When I get to VT I’ll put some no E gas in the tank
Old 02-20-2021, 08:08 PM   #18

Florida
Don’t empty the tanks. The gas keeps the seals from drying out or sticking closed. Use a quality gas preservative and run it for an hour or so occasionally.
franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 10:44 PM   #19

Connecticut
I will leave a little in there then. Glad you told me that.
Old 02-21-2021, 01:27 PM   #20

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattf301 View Post
I will leave a little in there then. Glad you told me that.
The more gas you leave in the tank, the longer it takes to spoil. use a good gas preservative like STA-BIL and you will not need to worry. Running it occasionally will put "fresh" gas in the bowl and lines

Top off the tank after you have run it a few times will keep your gas sort of fresh.

Good luck,

Frank

franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote