Frozen black tank - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-26-2022, 09:32 PM   #1

Idaho
Frozen black tank

Hello people, I’m new to the Dutchmans and I have a issue with my black tank being frozen. My freshwater drains. Somehow it looks like it drains through the black tank. I’m getting clear water out the sewage drain, but no sewage I can run hot water through it and it comes out clean. I can use the washing machine and it comes out but the toilet doesn’t drain, it’s a 2005 35FL Denali

Odinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2022, 01:10 PM   #2

Wisconsin
I don't have specific knowledge about your Denali. Different RV's have different plumbing. Often both black and gray tanks drain through the same pipe. Rarely does the gray tank drain through the black tank.

There are often two dump valves even though there is one drain pipe. One valve for each tank. I presume you have opened both.

Tanks and drains can freeze in Idaho winter weather. I don't know if your tanks and drain pipes are heated.

A black tank can also fill with solids and block the drain.
Drain valve mechanical or electric dump valves can fail. The gray may still work while the other fails.

persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2022, 06:52 PM   #3

Florida
do you fill your black tank about 1/3 full (with water) BEFORE you use it?
franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2022, 07:43 PM   #4

Idaho
I just bought it six days ago. I don’t know what was in it.
Old 12-28-2022, 09:42 PM   #5

California
Can you see inside the tank from the toilet. ??
also is there any reading on the tank level monitor.??

if all else fails try adding hot water to the tank which might dilute what ever is in the tank.

Mike & Emily-Sacramento, CA
Our 4th trailer (2016 Aspen Trail 1900RB)
2018 F150 STX 2.7 Eco Boost
chily3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2022, 10:41 PM   #6

Idaho
Yeah, I can see on the inside and my meter says it’s empty lol. Stupid dang don’t work. Obviously I put something that somebody named on here that supposed to be natural to help dissolve everything and I guess it eats it like some kind of bacteria. It’s drained about 5 inches from last night so hopefully it will get a little warmer and I can figure this **** out and put a new valve on because the valve broke as well
Old 12-29-2022, 09:17 AM   #7

Illinois
Isn't RV'ing fun?
Rusty
2005 Harley Ultra Classic w/too many miles
lcv800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2022, 03:03 PM   #8

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Odinson View Post
Yeah, I can see on the inside and my meter says it’s empty lol. Stupid dang don’t work. Obviously I put something that somebody named on here that supposed to be natural to help dissolve everything and I guess it eats it like some kind of bacteria. It’s drained about 5 inches from last night so hopefully it will get a little warmer and I can figure this **** out and put a new valve on because the valve broke as well
Did the handle come off or something? I could be stuck by the "stuff" in the tank. If you are going to replace the entire valve assembly, go ELECTRIC!
Old 12-30-2022, 12:47 AM   #9

Idaho
Thanks

Thanks for all the good advice and all the replies the valve was froze a little bit and I broke it but it was also backed up into a pyramid. I got it mixed up and it started to drain tomorrow. I’ll finish it but at least it’s gone down over halfway. I appreciate all your guys helps.
Old 12-31-2022, 01:44 PM   #10

Florida
Lol, the “pyramid” comes from ot having any water in the tank when using the toilet. (Ask me how I know)
Old 01-08-2023, 08:28 PM   #11

Idaho
It's not uncommon to get a heat tape and wrap aroumd your dump valves and exposed drain connections so they don't freeze. I recently had to add as 12ft heat tape to my son's drain valves and exposed tubes, out takes 120v AC and is taped over with aluminum duct sealing tape. We zip tied the plug up and under the skirt and just connect an extension cord as needed. My tank and valve heaters are also AC but are formally wired into the power distribution panel with a dedicated circuit breaker and toggle switches. Heat tapes typically have temp switches built in so they don't run all the time.

Pastot is offline   Reply With Quote