Fire Extinguisher - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > General RV Related Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 11-14-2015, 07:51 PM   #1

Texas
Fire Extinguisher

Does anyone know what kind of fire extinguisher can be used to replace the one in a 1997 Dutchmen 747 SL? I can't find the BRK Electronics BF5.

bradstone68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 08:26 PM   #2

Illinois
I thought fire extinguishers went by class type? Can't you replace with the same class? Should be available most anywhere.
Rusty

2005 Harley Ultra Classic w/too many miles
lcv800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 10:48 PM   #3

British Columbia
And once again the RV industry gets the award for using the bare minumum, they provide the smallest toy sized fire extingusher they can find.

You certainly don't want to be buying a fire extinguisher at an RV stealership, when you can an extinguisher twice the size and refillable at the big boxes.
hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 01:19 AM   #4

Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by hddecker View Post
And once again the RV industry gets the award for using the bare minumum, they provide the smallest toy sized fire extingusher they can find.

You certainly don't want to be buying a fire extinguisher at an RV stealership, when you can an extinguisher twice the size and refillable at the big boxes.
I have to say the RV industry isn't the only player in this 'minimum requirement' thing.
I was once down in the engine room of a 1/2 million dollar pleasure craft that belonged to a friend of mine. I saw on the wall a piss ant sized fire extinguisher, as required by the Coast Guard.
Two Cummins diesel engines powering a 50 foot pleasure craft with ALL of the bells and whistles and this sorry excuse for protection was stuck on the wall. It met the requirements though.
On the next trip to this beauty I gave my friend an elephant sized HALON extinguisher to protect his toy.
Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 02:13 AM   #5

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundancer 87 View Post
I have to say the RV industry isn't the only player in this 'minimum requirement' thing.
I was once down in the engine room of a 1/2 million dollar pleasure craft that belonged to a friend of mine. I saw on the wall a piss ant sized fire extinguisher, as required by the Coast Guard.
Two Cummins diesel engines powering a 50 foot pleasure craft with ALL of the bells and whistles and this sorry excuse for protection was stuck on the wall. It met the requirements though.
On the next trip to this beauty I gave my friend an elephant sized HALON extinguisher to protect his toy.
I agree, just about every manufactuer uses the bare minimum they have to in order to meet Federal and State codes.

I hope the OEM extinguisher wasn't an old stock carbon tet pumper.
Old 11-15-2015, 02:12 PM   #6

Oklahoma
Quote:
I agree, just about every manufactuer uses the bare minimum they have to in order to meet Federal and State codes.

I hope the OEM extinguisher wasn't an old stock carbon tet pumper.
Looked like this
Attached Images

Old 11-15-2015, 03:46 PM   #7

British Columbia
Quote:
Looked like this
That's the lagre economy size, you had to turn that on upside down to get it pressurized.

The one I was thinking of was the small wall mounted one with the T-handle. wasn't much bigger than the extinguishers they put in our campers.
Old 11-15-2015, 05:04 PM   #8

Oklahoma
Quote:
That's the lagre economy size, you had to turn that on upside down to get it pressurized.

The one I was thinking of was the small wall mounted one with the T-handle. wasn't much bigger than the extinguishers they put in our campers.
Yep, little brass extinguisher........just about a handful of nothing.

Way back in 1965 I tested one of those soda acid jobs in the barracks at Ft. Knox, KY. Dumb kid playing around and I had to turn it up side down
Old 11-15-2015, 06:14 PM   #9

British Columbia
Quote:
Yep, little brass extinguisher........just about a handful of nothing.

Way back in 1965 I tested one of those soda acid jobs in the barracks at Ft. Knox, KY. Dumb kid playing around and I had to turn it up side down
Brass goes for about $1.50 a pound up here. Can't remember exactly what year they were outlawed on boats, but I remember one on our boat back in late 50s into the mid-sixties.

That stuff was still in use for pesticides until it was out right banned in 1970.

There got rid of that, so I've got room for a couple new things in the melon!
Old 11-15-2015, 09:32 PM   #10
Site Team

North Carolina
I always replace the stock POS with a decent dry powder ABC. Typically a 2.5# by the door, then a couple of 5# or even a 10# in the storage compartment. My vehicles all have 5# minimum. I am currently using the Amerex brand, because that is what we have at work and I have the parts to repair and recharge them. If you do use a better quality dry chem one, don't forget your monthly inspection. I check mine and give them a whomp on the bottom with a soft hammer. They are supposed to be "serviced" annually, torn down at the 6 year mark then torn down again and water tested at 12 years. FWIW I normally don't bother to do that with my personal ones as long as they are in the green and they have been checked monthly. We had an extinguisher show up in my storage area at work that was 15 years old and had not seen annual inspection in 6 years, no clue where it had been hiding. We used it for hands on fire training, it was still holding a charge and worked just fine. We don't bother with the water test at 12 years we just go ahead and replace them. A decent 10# costs under $60 these days.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 10:04 PM   #11

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post
I always replace the stock POS with a decent dry powder ABC. Typically a 2.5# by the door, then a couple of 5# or even a 10# in the storage compartment. My vehicles all have 5# minimum. I am currently using the Amerex brand, because that is what we have at work and I have the parts to repair and recharge them. If you do use a better quality dry chem one, don't forget your monthly inspection. I check mine and give them a whomp on the bottom with a soft hammer. They are supposed to be "serviced" annually, torn down at the 6 year mark then torn down again and water tested at 12 years. FWIW I normally don't bother to do that with my personal ones as long as they are in the green and they have been checked monthly. We had an extinguisher show up in my storage area at work that was 15 years old and had not seen annual inspection in 6 years, no clue where it had been hiding. We used it for hands on fire training, it was still holding a charge and worked just fine. We don't bother with the water test at 12 years we just go ahead and replace them. A decent 10# costs under $60 these days.

Aaron
Them puppys hold their charge for a long time. I got an old 2# I found out in the garage a few weeks back, I been moving that box it was in for the last 3-4 moves over the last 25 years.

It's still showing in the green, the powder is probably like a chunk of limestone but it's still got a charge.

Good idea if I can loosen up the powder, I'll let DW try her fire fighting skills.

Tags
747, fire extinguisher

« New to this | Mice »