Finally ready for our first RV trip! - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > General RV Related Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 04-02-2016, 02:24 PM   #1

Washington
Finally ready for our first RV trip!

We purchased the truck in December and the FW in February; all the preparation is done, I think, so we are heading out Monday on our first trip! We are going about 100 miles from home to Fort Stevens near Astoria, Oregon. Anyone else on this forum been there? This is a big change for us, going from tent camping at fairly remote sites to an RV park but, I think the four of us will have a lot of fun (five counting the dog). We are hoping that we can eventually get into some form of boon docking, as much as we can with a FW. We really appreciate all the help you folks on the forum have given us; you are like our RV support group. I have to admit I am a little nervous. I'm a pretty handy guy and pride myself on being prepared so, I can handle about anything that comes up; I'm just hoping not to break down on the road. Wish us luck and we will let you know how our trip goes.

Old 04-02-2016, 02:59 PM   #2

Florida
Welcome to the forum. Suggest you spend tonight and tomorrow night in your driveway if possible.

And keep a pencil and paper handy to record things you should have packed and things you should have done prior to departure.

Enjoy your trip!

Handyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 05:17 PM   #3

Washington
[QUOTE=Handyman;38498]Welcome to the forum. Suggest you spend tonight and tomorrow night in your driveway if possible.

And keep a pencil and paper handy to record things you should have packed and things you should have done prior to departure.

definitely will be jotting down notes. I don't think we will camp in the driveway; we are going to big RV park next to a city so I think we will do our learning on the fly! We have spent so much time in the RV over the last two months, sleeping is the only thing we haven't done yet.
Old 04-02-2016, 05:26 PM   #4

British Columbia
We were at Fort Stevens over twenty years ago, but that was on the bike and tent camping. lots of neat stuff on the Oregon coast.

When I was a kid I was going nowhere fast, now I'm an old man I'm going everywhere slow.
hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 06:21 PM   #5

Oregon
We were there last week. Rained alot. The campsites are nice and there are lots of pullthroughs. We had full hookups with 30 amp. Did not see a 50 amp connection in the box. The sites are fairly level but I did need to level it just a bit. The backin sites I saw (we were in loop L) did not seem that hard to get into as there was always a couple pullthroughs opposite them There is a multiuse trail that goes from the campgrounds down to to the Peter Iredale shipwrek and beach or you can drive there. If you need supplys there is a Fred Meyers and a Costco nearby about a mile away.

2015 Coleman CM16FBS
2001 Chevrolet Suburban 2500
Crashogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 06:45 PM   #6

Washington
I had to laugh Crashogre, we also have a GREAT Great Pyrenees! We had two, up until a few weeks ago when we had to put down our 14 year old. The dogs are the main reason we ended up with an RV with a slide so we would have a place for them to lay on the floor.

Thank you for all your information, we have wanted to go to Fort Stevens for years but we didn't want to do it in our tent (rain, sand, noise) so we are knocking this off our list the first time around in the RV!
Old 04-03-2016, 06:51 PM   #7

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashogre View Post
There is a multiuse trail that goes from the campgrounds down to to the Peter Iredale shipwrek.
There can't be much left now, when we were there in the mid 90's it was long past it's best before date.

At least this time of year there won't be any mosquitoes!

When I was a kid I was going nowhere fast, now I'm an old man I'm going everywhere slow.
hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote