Fiberglass repair - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > General RV Related Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 10-09-2015, 06:15 PM   #1

Ontario
Fiberglass repair

As I was washing my 2011 Denali to get it ready to be winterized I found a bubble in the fiber glass with a crack running along the bottom edge of the bubble in the fiberglass side of the trailer. Not sure what caused it. But I am wondering does this need to be repaired? will water get in behind it and make it worse? and who would you take it too to be repaired a boat repair place as they seem to be the only ones who do fiberglass repair, or is there somewhere special I need to go for this type of repair on an RV? Is this something I could do myself? if so what material would be needed to complete such a repair? Thanks for any input.

2014 Ram 3500 Laramie 4X4 CTD
2011 Dutchmen Denali 262 RLX
drogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 07:02 PM   #2

Washington
Yes I would repair it just to be on the safe side. West Marine has fiberglass repair kits that allow you to fill then mix the final coat to match the color. I had about a dime size pit that I had a mobile fiberglass guy come out and fix. He said that eventually it would have let moisture behind the pit and start to cause problems. He charged me $100 to repair.

Happiness is an old pickup truck, a good dog and an understanding woman....
ewacowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 04:27 PM   #3

British Columbia
Fiberglass is not too difficult to repair. It's all in the prep work, the secret to a good repair is feathering the damage so your repair can build the damaged area back level with the original finish.

You can buy small repair kits in most auto parts stores. Do a search for fiberglass repair, there are lots of DIY videos out there showing how to make a good repair. If you're just dealing with a chip in the gel coat it's even easier.
hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote