Fastway E2 Sway Bars - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > General RV Related Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 07-21-2015, 05:13 PM   #1

Michigan
Fastway E2 Sway Bars

Anyone have any issues with the Fastway E2 Sway Bar system rated at 8,000 lbs.? While pulling into a Big Boy in Gaylord, MI I saw my friend in front of me hit the ground with his hitch as the drop off from the street to the parking lot was horrible. After seeing him hit, I went in as well and bottomed out and thought no big deal. So after eating, we pull out of the parking lot and I hear a dragging noise, had the wife get out to inspect and she informs me that the round bar is now dragging. What happened is that one of the bolts that is welded into the outside Link plate had now sheared in half and allowed the link plate to move allowing the round bar to drag on the gorund. Cant tow without sway bars intact, so we went to Home Depot, which was luckily down the road, bought some carriage bolts, nuts, lock washers and was able to get it fixed to get me home, still another 3.5 hours away. Of course it was super windy that day and I was paranoid driving, but we made it. Now I went to the dealer and bought a kit that has all of the replacement parts in it from Equalizer as them and Fastway are apparently the same company, minus the part with the welded in bolts. My though process was that with the welded bolt, it creates a stress point from the heat of welding, so the new kit allows you to use grade 8 bolts and nuts in their place. I am keeping the parts as spares just in case! Thank you to Austin at Fastway, for providing me technical and parts assistance when I called them today when I thought the dealer was selling me the wrong parts. They turned out to be right, but I was not sure why they were selling me Equalizer parts for a Fastway system. Austin walked me through it. Tonight I install it on the trailer. Hopefully it never happens again. The sway control system was brand new only used on three other towing trips. Hooked up to an Aerolite 250KBHS behind a Chevy Avalanche.
chiefboggum is offline   Reply With Quote