Dometic DM2582 refrigerator issue - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-24-2022, 03:20 PM   #1

Texas
Dometic DM2582 refrigerator issue

I will cut to the chase, if I can smell ammonia is this thing definitely dead?

Stopped cooling, but still had 120 V power, good solenoid, good flame, just not getting cold. I shorted the thermocouple to make sure it wasn't bad, and left the thing running for a few hours. When I came back I could smell strong ammonia smell, but there is no other real evidence of a leak. No yellow stuff anywhere. I just want to make sure its not easily fixable before I just buy a regular residential unit.

JReck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2022, 03:59 PM   #2

Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by JReck View Post
... I just want to make sure its not easily fixable before I just buy a regular residential unit.
I can’t answer your basic question, but just want to remind you of potential consequences of replacing with a residential unit.

It will only run on 110/120v. Which means, unless you have & run an on-board generator aboard your rig while towing, the fridge will not operate while rolling down the road… and you won’t be able to run it while boondocking at all without a generator (on-board or portable).

I’m not saying a residential unit is a bad option… just mentioning things to keep in mind before you pull that trigger.

2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
ATCguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2022, 04:08 PM   #3

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATCguy View Post
I can’t answer your basic question, but just want to remind you of potential consequences of replacing with a residential unit.

It will only run on 110/120v. Which means, unless you have & run an on-board generator aboard your rig while towing, the fridge will not operate while rolling down the road… and you won’t be able to run it while boondocking at all without a generator (on-board or portable).

I’m not saying a residential unit is a bad option… just mentioning things to keep in mind before you pull that trigger.
Oh yeah, thank you for the heads up. But my 5th wheel is parked in a trailer park and not going anywhere since I don't think I can tow it with my Ford Fiesta. 😁
JReck is offline   Reply With Quote