Does anyone fire up the generator about an hour before getting to their destination? - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > General RV Related Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 07-23-2014, 12:43 PM   #1

North Carolina
Does anyone fire up the generator about an hour before getting to their destination?

Quite a few times the thought of pulling over about an hour before we get to our destination to turn on the generator to let the ac cool the trailer down has occurred to me.

So far, I haven't done it but has anyone pulled over, fired up the generator and turned on the ac to have it cool before they arrive at their destination.

There are days that when it's over 100, the last thing I want to do is sweat my butt off when I get there but in general, most of the time by the time I get everything else setup, the ac has cooled the place down.

Mark

orangecrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 12:51 PM   #2

Michigan
I do it all the time, humidity in the south was horrible.Never had an issue and sure made it more comfortable after we leveled and unhooked. Just make sure generator is off for several minutes before plugging in to the pedestal, I believe air conditioning units hold some charge that could back feed ??

1BadDiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 01:21 PM   #3
Site Team

North Carolina
Haven't done it... yet. I am more prone to run the furnace in the winter time.

When we need A/C for camping it is the first thing to get hooked up when we hit the landing pad. By the time the truck is unhooked, water hooked up, awning, mat and chairs deployed it is well on it's way to being cooled off. My wife wants it more than I do, all I want is the cold beverage out of the fridge!

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 04:03 PM   #4

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post
Haven't done it... yet. I am more prone to run the furnace in the winter time.

When we need A/C for camping it is the first thing to get hooked up when we hit the landing pad. By the time the truck is unhooked, water hooked up, awning, mat and chairs deployed it is well on it's way to being cooled off. My wife wants it more than I do, all I want is the cold beverage out of the fridge!:-tup

Aaron

Do we have a like button??

The only thing I hate about the outside refrigerator is that you can't keep it running while driving. (unless of course, you want to run your generator…lol)

Mark
orangecrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 02:23 AM   #5

South Carolina
We do like WahooNC. Get to a level site, give it the eyeball to make sure it'll work. Plug in the electrical first, go inside and turn AC on and fridge to 110V. Then, outside the hotbox for unhitching, leveling, water line, light the water heater, sewer line, awning, festive lights, chairs, and fake grass. By that time, the AC is cool. Oh yes, I forgot the grill, the Tiki Lights, move the truck, and open a beer! LOL
MartyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 04:01 AM   #6

Arizona
Pretty much every Class A motorhome you see has its generator running to power the A/C going down the road. I've thought about it but haven't yet done it.
azdryheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 07:41 PM   #7

Montana
Never in my camper, but just due to lack of need. In my old job I towed an equipment trailer outfitted with an RV air conditioner and air sampling and measuring equipment (I was an air emissions tester). We would fire the generator up before the last hour or so of a drive all the time to run the air conditioner and analyzers so we were that much closer to being ready to test when we showed up on site. The generator rode in the back of the pickup and plugged into the trailer via a 220V cord.