Decals fading and peeling - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-12-2020, 03:33 PM   #1

California
Decals fading and peeling

I suspect this has been discussed many times in the past and if this a redundant thread then I apologize and please point me in the right direction.

Question for the group. My Voltage is now about 3 years old (physical age not model year) and I store it outside without a cover. I basically decided it was more important that I never hesitate to use it so wanted to have as little barrier to doing so by not having to deal with a cover or have to call ahead or have limited hours for indoor storage. I realized I would be subjecting the exterior to accelerated aging but made a conscious decision to do so. I have kept it waxed and clean but in the last six months or so the south facing decals which happen to be on the passenger side as well as west on the ramp door are starting to fade and peel of (it is always parked in the same spot with the same sun exposure). It almost looks like they have been scrubbed off a little.

So I am wondering if there is anything else I can do to stop or slow this process and further if any of you have opinions on replacing decals or wrapping or even going with a full paint. My gut is the last two will be way too pricey to justify but not sure.

The trailer is generally holding up pretty well now that I have upgraded the suspension and tires, repaired two slides, repaired broken interior trim everywhere, fixed the fuel gauge, cleaned up the poorly installed fridge design and rehung both pendant lights over the island that both broke free of their mounts. I don’t know how long to reasonably expect this to last but I am hoping for many more years before I sell or trade.

So again, if anyone can suggest anything that they have personal knowledge with or at least first hand knowledge that would be great. I have watched a few videos on removing and reinstalling decals and while I am considering it I don’t know if I want to do that every three years. Plus, on this 40 foot TH it would be a major job.

Thanks all.

Old 10-13-2020, 01:51 AM   #2

Florida
Talk to a reputable shop by you that does wrapsI have a good friend with a business that does that he can do nose decals or partial side decals any shape color or size everything he uses is 3m which is a way better quality than the manufacturers use. Hope this helps

Ovalvw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 02:03 PM   #3

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovalvw View Post
Talk to a reputable shop by you that does wrapsI have a good friend with a business that does that he can do nose decals or partial side decals any shape color or size everything he uses is 3m which is a way better quality than the manufacturers use. Hope this helps

@ovalvw, any idea on cost and how long they should last? I read somewhere that wraps last give or take four years but have no idea if that is true.

Thanks
Old 10-13-2020, 06:44 PM   #4

Florida
Front cap you could make your own design. the curves and swoop decals on side. you or your wrap Guy could easily trace them and replicate in any color you want it’s pretty cool technology how it’s done. Your in California Im sure it would be easy to find a reputable wrap company. except for front cap Due to its curves and use of heat gun.the rest would be easy it’s all flat
Old 10-13-2020, 10:31 PM   #5

California
Thanks for the response but still curious about cost. Any idea? I don’t have a clue.
Old 10-14-2020, 09:17 PM   #6

Florida
Just have a reputable shop come out and look at your RV and give you an estimate With you being in California and depending on what you want the price could be anything just look at their prior work and make sure it’s 3m
Old 10-15-2020, 01:48 AM   #7

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovalvw View Post
Just have a reputable shop come out and look at your RV and give you an estimate With you being in California and depending on what you want the price could be anything just look at their prior work and make sure it’s 3m

Thanks. Will look into it.
Old 10-17-2020, 09:37 PM   #8

Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsol View Post
Thanks. Will look into it.
If you do get pricing, I would be very grateful if you would post back. Even ballpark numbers would be helpful. Thanks!
RockinFX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 12:29 PM   #9

Oklahoma
OK. Here's the basic answers you need to know:

Full paint is out of the question. Voltage produced a thicker gel coat version of their RV's for Full Body Paint. This was to help prevent cracking of the paint in the future. Remember, gel coat is a plastic and does flex. It added 400 lbs weight to the RV which decreased the carrying capacity of the RV. I opted out of the full body paint for my 2014 3895 due to this reason.

Full body (or partial) is a great option. You have a choice of calendared or cast vinyl for a body wrap. Calendared is generally rated at 5 years and cast at 7 to 10. Cast vinyl is the way to go but is more expensive. It is also normally 2 mil which makes it great for the curves in the cap of the RV. Calendared vinyl is normally 3-4 mils this and harder to work with on curves.

A wrap shop cost for calendared vinyl is around $500 for a 50"x150' roll. Cast vinyl is $750-$1000 for the same size roll. Oracal, 3M are great brands.

Just remember, is you have a shop digitally print a graphic for you, it needs to be laminated with a clear vinyl. Vinyl graphics fade because of oxidation. A laminate helps seal off the oxygen from the graphic slowing down the oxidation. If your graphics are not too faded, it is possible to laminate them with a cold adhesive based laminate and trim the edges with "knife tape". A lot of work but gives you added protection. A cast laminate should last 7 years.

Almost all of the basic RV manufacturers us a calendared vinyl due to the cheaper cost. Speaking of cost, a car/van normally fetches around $4000 for a printed wrap. 3M, Oracal and others make what is called a "styling film" which is what you would want if your going with a solid or metalic color on the graphic. Printed graphics normally start to fade at 3-5 years even when laminated.

To do your RV in a full body wrap, a shop is gonna charge you around $8000-$10000. Remember, it is a lot of work but the average person could do it if they have the right installation area. Wind makes it really difficult to install a 50" wide by 9' tall sheet of vinyl. Plenty of YouTube videos on how to install vinyl. DIY cost will be in the $2000-$3000 range for vinyl, and installation tools and chemicals.
elfaqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 09:10 PM   #10

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by elfaqua View Post
OK. Here's the basic answers you need to know:

Full paint is out of the question. Voltage produced a thicker gel coat version of their RV's for Full Body Paint. This was to help prevent cracking of the paint in the future. Remember, gel coat is a plastic and does flex. It added 400 lbs weight to the RV which decreased the carrying capacity of the RV. I opted out of the full body paint for my 2014 3895 due to this reason.

Full body (or partial) is a great option. You have a choice of calendared or cast vinyl for a body wrap. Calendared is generally rated at 5 years and cast at 7 to 10. Cast vinyl is the way to go but is more expensive. It is also normally 2 mil which makes it great for the curves in the cap of the RV. Calendared vinyl is normally 3-4 mils this and harder to work with on curves.

A wrap shop cost for calendared vinyl is around $500 for a 50"x150' roll. Cast vinyl is $750-$1000 for the same size roll. Oracal, 3M are great brands.

Just remember, is you have a shop digitally print a graphic for you, it needs to be laminated with a clear vinyl. Vinyl graphics fade because of oxidation. A laminate helps seal off the oxygen from the graphic slowing down the oxidation. If your graphics are not too faded, it is possible to laminate them with a cold adhesive based laminate and trim the edges with "knife tape". A lot of work but gives you added protection. A cast laminate should last 7 years.

Almost all of the basic RV manufacturers us a calendared vinyl due to the cheaper cost. Speaking of cost, a car/van normally fetches around $4000 for a printed wrap. 3M, Oracal and others make what is called a "styling film" which is what you would want if your going with a solid or metalic color on the graphic. Printed graphics normally start to fade at 3-5 years even when laminated.

To do your RV in a full body wrap, a shop is gonna charge you around $8000-$10000. Remember, it is a lot of work but the average person could do it if they have the right installation area. Wind makes it really difficult to install a 50" wide by 9' tall sheet of vinyl. Plenty of YouTube videos on how to install vinyl. DIY cost will be in the $2000-$3000 range for vinyl, and installation tools and chemicals.

Thanks for the information. Sounds like the best solution might just be to replace fading/pealing decals was necessary. As the gel coat seems to hold up well I could spend quite a bit on decals before I get to the $10,000 cost of a good quality wrap.

Appreciate everyone’s responses.
Old 10-21-2020, 01:39 AM   #11

Florida
Good Wrap guy can replicate those decals for you you don’t have to wrap the whole trailer
Old 03-03-2021, 03:21 AM   #12

California
I ended up buying the decals that were in the worst shape and removing and replacing with new. Major job to remove the old ones. Did it with my son over three days of about 4 hours per day. Installing the new ones was pretty easy. There are lots of YouTube videos on it.

Removal worked best with a eraser wheel on a cordless drill. Every other method was extremely slow and tedious. New decals look great.

I will now treat regularly with the 303 protectant and hope for better luck. I also read that wax for the gel coat is bad for the vinyl so will keep that off too.
Old 03-03-2021, 04:28 PM   #13

California
I did this years ago and used a paint on remover. It worked perfectly. I am sorry do not remember the brand. Found it with google and reading reviews.

Mike & Emily-Sacramento, CA
Our 4th trailer (2016 Aspen Trail 1900RB)
2018 F150 STX 2.7 Eco Boost
chily3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 03:13 AM   #14

California
I used the eraser wheel on badly weathered decals, and it was a painstakingly slow process, but worth it after I put on the replacement decals

Mine were the upward pointing silver triangle on the front side corner
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	A3EDDF26-4E67-4EE8-ACD6-FEA8EB71D4B9.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	55.6 KB
ID:	6701  
Drinks of choice: any great bourbon-San Diego’s craft beer
Beachbourbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 03:14 AM   #15

California
This forum always posts pictures sideways. Never an issue with other media
Drinks of choice: any great bourbon-San Diego’s craft beer
Beachbourbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 05:08 AM   #16

California
The eraser wheel was pretty slow and lots of eraser dust but worked really well and still much faster than a razor and heat gun. And no sore fingers or little nicks in the gel coat.