Damn squirrels - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > General RV Related Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 10-16-2015, 06:49 PM   #1

Ontario
Damn squirrels

I parked my trailer for about three weeks in the normal spot I use for storage. I go to move it last week because I was heading out on a 5 day grouse hunting trip. I discover no turn signals, brake lights and all but two of my running lights did not work. Also found that I had now power to any of my bathroom lights or power vent and kitchen light. Turns out that a red squirrel decided that my bathroom cabinet was a great place to build a nest for the winter. It chewed a huge hole in the inner wall to get there. Used the lower cabinet area (where the slide controller is to store food) and chew a whole lot of wires). Took me 3 hours to fix the problems, but I still don't have power to the one of the kitchen lights (I can see the chewed wire behind the wall, I just can't reach it without removing the wall panel).
I managed to capture it two days later with a live trap and released it far away from my rig.

Adair1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 08:49 PM   #2

California
Squirrels, they're just bushy tailed rats. I've been battling them for 15 years. Turns out, they really like avocados. So every early spring afternoon, I sit on my front deck with my high powered pellet gun and pick off every bushy tailed rat that even looks at one of my trees. I normally get about 100 of them per season. Most of the other growers around here poison them, but I give them a sporting chance. The turkey buzzards and redtail hawks love my diligence.

Now- '07 Trailmanor 2720. Soon- Lance 1985
TV- '13 F150 Lariat Supercrew 4X4 Ecoboost w/ MaxTow Pkg
Redtail cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 02:36 AM   #3

British Columbia
I never had a critter problem until the one year that I forgot to plug in the sonic pest repeller.

Little bugger got into the under belly of my old Airstream, chewed through the floor and built himself a nice nest out of the upholstery.

Check Wally World or your big box home improvement store in the garden section.
hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote