Check Center Ducted AC UNITS! - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-22-2017, 03:46 PM   #1

Saskatchewan
Angry Check Center Ducted AC UNITS!

I have a voltage V3905 2013 model. Check your center ducted AC units now! I experienced an issue with my three AC units timing out, then all together not working, after 1,000 in diagnostics and no answer as to the cause, I took it into my own hands , and discovered the issue. Dutchmen Used 4 long large diameter lag crews to attach the center AC to the roof above the kitchen sink. It would have been nice to seal around them as they went into the roof, the foam pads that they should have gone trough were totally missed and no extra SL caulk was used to prevent H2o form running the threads into the roof. I purchased the extended warranty, which as you may know does not cover the roof or the manufacture defect of how the unit was installed. Once you find out the cost to replace the roof, You should inspect it TODAY, to see if they used the same poor workmanship. This is only a 5 year old unit with you holding the bill, for something you did not create or ignore!! SO out of the 4 31/2 " lag screws "holding" down the AC unit only one was actually in a 1" pieces of roof truss. You ? were your air goes..answered into your attic as 2 were drilled into the fiber duck work and the other split the wood off it was in therefore holding nothing. A pre-drilled pilot hole may have prevented this. These lag screws looked as if they were to go through foam blocks on the underside of the AC only one did this leaving a hole in the roof membrane and a channel for water to follow the treads. I have an idea...those that work and install these things sign for each vin off the line. Each time a workman does poor work it should reflect on that person...Accountability!. all other jobs have it. All we have from the manufacturer is a one year warranty. Thanks Camping World for another lousy sale and no warranty or anyone to hold accountable. All RV 's are a very poor purchase, and not worth the aggravation!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	roof.jpg
Views:	544
Size:	50.8 KB
ID:	4299   Click image for larger version

Name:	image5 (3).jpg
Views:	320
Size:	46.1 KB
ID:	4300   Click image for larger version

Name:	image2.jpg
Views:	309
Size:	40.3 KB
ID:	4301  

lkhbutler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 02:03 AM   #2

Nevada
I hope you can just cut out as little as possible, replace the supports and get her back together, Good Luck

2019 GMC 3500HD 4X4 CC DRW LB Bags Husky 26K Hitch Can Am Commander 1000 ATV
RVNevada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 11:28 AM   #3

Saskatchewan
Repair Progress

Contacted the maker of the roof material Alpha Systems Inc. They provided me with a Heat Weld Repair Procedure instructions for Supperflex Membrane, I have ordered the heat plastic welder with special tip to allow insertion between the existing roof and the overlap (2"). when heating you use a linoleum roller to compress while heating. Important as well is to round the corners to prevent edges that could be prone to peal up. Check weld to ensue no void un-bonded areas and seal with Alpha tape roll again and cover with self leveling caulk. No one I contacted would do the repairs needed they wanted to install a new roof. The area around the A/C was reinforced the duct work patched and new locations for the units to be screwed into were installed. Also don't forget a new A/C gasket, which are standard pretty much.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image4.jpg
Views:	287
Size:	40.3 KB
ID:	4303   Click image for larger version

Name:	image3.jpg
Views:	327
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	4304  
lkhbutler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 03:02 PM   #4

Nevada
Man that looks great already, I will add that to my repair book, I have done siding, floors etc, but that looks like a good quick repair
2019 GMC 3500HD 4X4 CC DRW LB Bags Husky 26K Hitch Can Am Commander 1000 ATV
RVNevada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 04:26 PM   #5

Texas
Yes, meticulously handled with expertise!

Nice job.
2003 Ram 2500 Cummins (can't kill this beast)
snakebitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 11:33 PM   #6

Arizona
Just wondering... Would it be better to just cut the large return right below the unit to gain more airflow? Wouldnt be too hard to add a vent and Filter I imagine. Not sure if their is something that would prevent this.
The slots that go to the left and right returns are pretty small/narrow. Just interested in your thoughts, as I have read numerous posts about the restriction posed by the existing small/narrow return vents.

Thanks for your input. Good job on the repairs.
Gear
4 Seat Long Travel Sand Rail, 97 Jeep TJ Rock Crawler, 68 Roadrunner, Various Quads
Gearheadzs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 03:25 PM   #7

Tennessee
Do Voltages have a return air system? I assumed the return was in the ceiling plate/air distribution box. I would think the ac manufacturer would have that part figured out, even if the actual duct work is cobbled by the installers.

I do know home havc systems are similar to rocket science to properly balance. I learned long ago that anyone can run flex pipe around a house, but that doesn't mean it will work properly.

This forum needs a good hvac guy to buy a Dutchman RV and get on in here.

To the op, the repair looks pro, nice job.
Old 08-05-2017, 03:32 PM   #8

Tennessee
Why in the heck did they bolt that unit down? Sorry, I just noticed that. I thought ac units were supposed to sit on a nice thick gasket and was attached with long bolts into the interior frame with no roof penetration?