Can I 'upgrade' to a digital thermostat? - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > General RV Related Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 01-11-2020, 05:01 PM   #1

Florida
Can I 'upgrade' to a digital thermostat?

Can anyone tell me if there is a DIGITAL/LED/LCD replacement/solution for what I have now, which is a Dometic Duo-Therm original/stock 'stone age' analog thermostat? Thanks VERY much. This thing works, but I need to hang a magnifying glass on a string next to it, and it doesn't indicate ambient temperature. Thanks VERY much. This is what I currently have:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20191129_165253 - Copy.jpg
Views:	439
Size:	28.8 KB
ID:	6053  

SilverHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 05:19 PM   #2

Wyoming
I would think you could easily replace it with a different Dometic thermostat like this:

Check out this link, and or give them a call...

https://www.dometic.com/en-us/us/pro...ostat-_-164511

2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
ATCguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 06:35 PM   #3

Florida
Thanks VERY much . . . I looked for and saw some YouTube videos of people using 'other' generic digital thermostats, but they had to wire up another toggle switch so that it could maintain the Hi/Low Fan function . . . and frankly, I'm hoping to find a replacement - not a project.
Old 01-11-2020, 07:31 PM   #4

Wyoming
I remember you saying in the other thread that you're new to all of this RV stuff. Something that will help is to know the brand & model number of your various appliances (when able)... and then find their websites online to do research & get customer support.

Unlike an automobile... the manufacturers use various other "off-the shelf" components for their various systems. So visiting their websites is the easiest way to find information you may need for repair and/or replacement.
2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
Old 01-12-2020, 12:26 AM   #5

Florida
Manufacturer Manuals & Literature

I did discover that locating manuals and supporting documents for significant components of the camper would be essential - so I've LOT of time invested in tracking a great deal of it all down. I've now a 3-ring binder that is now about 2" thick!
Old 01-12-2020, 02:01 PM   #6

Arizona
I did install a Honeywell T'stat with very little effort. I didn't care about the hi/lo fan feature and did not install the toggle switch. I really like the new T-stat but wish I had bought one that had a backlight. That feature would have been nicer than 2 fan speeds.
RichH
Never underestimate the stupidity of people in large groups.
aguablanco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 03:56 PM   #7

California
I second the thought that Dometic has a direct digital replacement for what you have. I find it very unlikely that when they went to digital t-stats that they changed anything else in the design other than change the thermostat.

Remember, the RV industry is pretty frugal so not likely to redesign the wiring and components to accept something new unless they really had to or we’re required by some limitation.

Good luck.

PS I would think low and hi speed fan is important because if boondocking (dry camping) and running the heat it will be the fan that really draws down your batteries and not the heater itself. You will likely want the low speed fan then. Air conditioning won’t matter because you need shore power or a generator to run that so high speed fan will be fine.
Old 01-12-2020, 06:13 PM   #8

Florida
Digital Thermostat 'Upgrade'

Thanks dsol and aguablanco for your taking the time to offer info and assistance. It's good to know the Honeywell will 'work,' and I can quickly appreciate the usefulness of the backlight - as in addition to the need for the magnifying glass on the current unit, I have to first find a flashlight! And, I do think I'd take the time to wire in the Hi/Low functionality - it's only every run on 'low' and even at that, the Atwood 'Excalibur 8535 IV DCLP 35KBTU' furnace has the ability to melt the glass in the windows in no time at all! Thanks again to all! Much appreciated!
Old 01-13-2020, 04:10 PM   #9

Montana
PPL Motorhomes webstore is my preferred online shopping source for RV specific stuff. Although I'm shocked at the price of these thermostats, maybe a local hardware store replacement is a more cost effective route.
https://www.pplmotorhomes.com/search...tic+thermostat
Old 01-14-2020, 07:35 PM   #10

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverHawk View Post
I did discover that locating manuals and supporting documents for significant components of the camper would be essential - so I've LOT of time invested in tracking a great deal of it all down. I've now a 3-ring binder that is now about 2" thick!
Did the same as soon as we got our trailer, Nice zippered binder with all the paperwork, extra insurance slip, all manuals, etc etc... as well as some tips for us NOOB campers, like packing lists, check lists and the like!
jmatteis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 07:41 PM   #11

Wyoming
Yep... didn't take me long either. Pretty sure it was right after the 2nd issue I had on the rig that this came into existence.

Has all of my manuals, receipts, etc. for pretty much every system, accessory, and work performed on my rig.

Click image for larger version

Name:	RV FILES.jpg
Views:	320
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	6058
2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
Old 01-19-2020, 11:58 AM   #12

Texas
I purchased a non-programmable Honeywell digital thermostat from Home Depot. It was $24.95. It is for both heat and AC but I only use the heat portion. It was fairly easy to install. I suspect your current heater control will only have two wires going to it. I was able to find a video or two on Youtube prior to installing.
bobberan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 02:26 PM   #13

Saskatchewan
I checked with my dealer last summer and I was told that these screwball tstats are sort of tied to the ac/ furnace from the design stages when the units are manufactured. You can change the tstat but that usually means rewiring the hook up to the ac and or the furnace and odds are some of the new features still won't work properly. I guess basically if you have the time and the paitience you can make anything work, so go for it anything would be an improvement over the factory stuff.....
23satd5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 02:42 PM   #14

Florida
Thermostat 'Upgrade'

Thanks very much to everyone's help and input - it is appreciated. I had another opportunity to use (read: 'experiment') with the stock/original analog thermostat this weekend. No question, I wish it was digital. I was hoping there might be a 'quick-fix' using a generic 'Home Depot' unit, but they all seem to be a 'band-aid' and you lose the "Hi/Low" function - unless you wire in a toggle switch. Something about that 'solution' has me shaking my head. So - consistent with one commenter's suggestion, I called Dometic. A nice lady said they had a solution, and it involved the replacement of both the wall thermostat AND the control board on the A/C overhead unit. They have essentially a kit. I assumed they sold it and asked her where to find it. She said they had just started a new website, were having problems with it, and suggested I just Google the part number and buy it 'on-line.' With that, I found the 'kit' (thermostat and control board) on Amazon. Not cheap: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072QFK2XH...v_ov_lig_dp_it
Old 01-20-2020, 03:00 PM   #15

California
Nice to know Dometic was helpful and obviously prevented you from buying the wrong part thinking it would probably work.

Seems like a nice upgrade for you. In reading the description it looks like they offer a Bluetooth enabled version that works with an app on your phone which would be nice.
Old 01-20-2020, 03:54 PM   #16

Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverHawk View Post
...With that, I found the 'kit' (thermostat and control board) on Amazon. Not cheap: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072QFK2XH...v_ov_lig_dp_it
Convenience usually isn't cheap... but in my experience, is usually worth it.
2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
Old 01-20-2020, 04:26 PM   #17

Montana
I think any of the Dometic thermostats I linked to earlier from PPL Motorhomes web store would be a convenient drop in replacement. But as said, not cheap

Tags
digital thermostat, dometic, duo-therm, thermostat