Camp Etiquette for New RVers… - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-03-2021, 05:11 AM   #1

Wyoming
Camp Etiquette for New RVers…

So I’m lying here in bed after the long day I had (details in a different post)… and a prime example of why I’m motivated to type this has arrived.

I know we have a few new folks here this year… and by some of the questions asked, it’s obvious some are probably new to the RV world. Not to worry… all of us were newbies at some point, and this post is for you…

Now I know no one wants to hear about a lot of rules & such… you bought an RV to have fun, not obey a bunch of rules. But there are a few items of etiquette among us that you might not be aware of… and will keep you from being thought of as “that guy” at your campground.

Though there are others which campers can debate as to their usefulness… here are 3 that are almost universally agreed upon as things to adhere to:

1). Don’t walk thru another camper’s site as a shortcut to the pool, playground, office, laundry, etc. unless they happen to be outside and invite you to. For the duration of that camper’s stay, their site is their yard… the same as you wouldn’t want your neighbors to willy-nilly take a stroll through your yard at home.

2). Next, when you see a new neighbor arriving, or a previous one getting ready to depart… don’t walk over & disturb their set-up or pack-up routine with conversation. Most everyone you meet at a campground will be friendly and eager to converse with you… but not while they’re trying to set up camp, or tearing it down for departure. Most of us who’ve been doing this awhile have a mental checklist & routine we go thru… and if you disturb us, we may forget an important step or procedure. So other than a wave, or quick “hello”… unless they engage you, just give ‘em a bit of space until they’re done. Then feel free to introduce yourself, and chat about anything you like.

3). Finally, speaking of arrival & departure… and what has prompted me to type this out this evening… try to plan your arrival/departure during daylight hours. This may seem obvious, especially to a new camper so they can see what they’re doing… but sometimes one’s schedule just doesn’t permit it, or maybe you have a delay enroute that causes you to arrive late. It happens. But when it does, there are things you can do to make a minimal impact on your neighbors. Let’s start with arriving late…

Some campers like to stay up late up late, while others go to bed early so they can get an early start the next morning on their adventure. If you arrive late… the last thing many of your neighbors wanna hear is you clanging & banking things as you fumble around in the dark trying to unhitch, level up, and connect your umbilicals (power, water, sewer, etc), like my late-arriving neighbor is doing right now at 11pm. If you have to arrive late, try doing just the minimum to tide you for the night. Maybe stay hitched, just connect power and maybe just water if necessary, and do the real set up in the morning. You’re probably just going to bed anyway, right?

Now, early departures. Sometimes your schedule is tight, you got a long trip ahead, and you wanna get an early start… regardless of the reason. When I know I’m going to wanna get in the road early, I either wait until AT LEAST 6am to break camp (usually I wait for sun-up or 6am, whichever is LATER)… or… I do the late arrival routine in reverse. I take a shower, dump my tanks, store the sewer hose, pack everything, and hitch up the night before. When I decide to leave, the only things I have to do are disconnect water & power, store the hose & cord, retract my bedroom slide out, and start the truck. 10-mins max, hardly any noise, and I’m gone.

So that’s it… take from it what you will. Others may have their own items, but these 3 will serve you well as you roam around the country and have fun!
2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
ATCguy is offline   Reply With Quote