Broken leg - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > General RV Related Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 07-06-2013, 02:56 AM   #1

Broken leg

Today I went to CW to pick up my unit that had a little work done on it. They promptly brought the unit around and dropped it off. Great I would be hitched and gone in 5 minutes. Not a bad day after all since I am finally getting something done. I raised the front landing gear to hitch the truck. 2 minutes later I was hitched and began raising the landing gear. The left came up and the right didn't move. What??? So now I am hitched and one leg stuck down. Back inside I went. First the battery booster is brought out. No luck with that. Then the mechanic comes out. Seems the bolt at the top of the leg is bad what ever that means. He tells me if the parts dept has a bolt in stock he will have it ready by tomorrow.

Three hours later I am back home and no camper. I guess I will try again tomorrow if its ready.

My biggest concern is the unit is one year old. Is it that common for the electric landing gear "bolt" to go bad?? What is the bolt the mechanic was referring to??

The only good I see in this is I was at CW where they jumped right on it and not at a campground.

Tanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 04:23 AM   #2

Michigan
there is a square connecting bar that connects the right landing gear to the left. in my sob the left gear contained the moter and the right did not. sometimes that bolt can vibrrate loose or it may fail those allowing the fffffff;i

GOLDENYEARS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 12:50 PM   #3

No mine are independent with separate motors. No crossover bar. If it had one it would pass through the generator. When the tech was looking at it he unwired just the broken one and applied juice to it alone. It ground and ground but did not move. Said the bolt was broken or came loose.. hmmmmm
Old 07-06-2013, 01:16 PM   #4

Oklahoma
Hate to hear of your problems mister. Let's hope CW gets you back on the road again.

Of course keep us abreast as to the actual problem.
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 06:34 PM   #5

I just called CW. Of course my luck it is not ready and they have to order a taper gear. I suppose it works in the landing gear. I sure hope the other gears last more than a year.
Old 07-06-2013, 06:40 PM   #6

Oklahoma
Dang!
Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
Old 07-10-2013, 02:13 AM   #7

I have an update.. It seems as though my leg was not broken only sprained. CW called me yesterday and stated the gear was not stripped but get this. The landing gear needed to be reprogrammed?? What.. so off to CW I went again. Sure enough the gear came up. I asked the service writer to find out exactly how to reprogram this landing gear in case it happened again.. My reply was occasionally when the battery is removed (remember I said I had some minor work done, well replacing the battery under warranty was one) the landing gear and stabilizer legs can loose their memory and go off into la la land. The reprogramming procedure was to cycle through the auto level three times. Sounds kinds of lame to me but that's what they said they did.

I guess that's something to keep in mind if your ever remove your battery or replace it.
Old 07-10-2013, 07:44 AM   #8

Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanman View Post
I have an update.. It seems as though my leg was not broken only sprained. CW called me yesterday and stated the gear was not stripped but get this. The landing gear needed to be reprogrammed?? What.. so off to CW I went again. Sure enough the gear came up. I asked the service writer to find out exactly how to reprogram this landing gear in case it happened again.. My reply was occasionally when the battery is removed (remember I said I had some minor work done, well replacing the battery under warranty was one) the landing gear and stabilizer legs can loose their memory and go off into la la land. The reprogramming procedure was to cycle through the auto level three times. Sounds kinds of lame to me but that's what they said they d
I guess that's something to keep in mind if your ever remove your battery or replace it.
Good to know. Thanks for the heads up.

2012 Dutchmen 3850RL
Infinityrver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 12:29 PM   #9

Dang I wish there were a way to edit after posting when I discover I made a misspelling. I sure hate that. Sorry It was "lose" not "loose" but you knew that.
Old 07-10-2013, 10:30 PM   #10

Oklahoma
Sure makes it difficult to trust the technicians that are suposed to know what our problems are. Glad they ain't brain sturgeons!!!

Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners