Blue Rhino Propane - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-01-2013, 10:05 PM   #1

Colorado
Blue Rhino Propane

Will blue rhino propane work with travel trailers? I was told they have issues with travel trailers.

lithuanian98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 12:28 AM   #2

Oklahoma
Shouldn't be a problem with Blue Rhino. It has to maintain the same standards as any other propane gas distributor as deemed by the LPG Association.
LPG is LPG, Blue Rhino is a name of the distributor just like the rest of the many distributors.

sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 01:13 PM   #3

The problems I see with Blue Rhino are the tanks are not filled to capacity. If memory serves me right they only put 16 # in a tank vs 20# capacity. Basically you are loosing 20% of your gas. It seems to me its better and cost effective to have your tank filled rather than buying a partial tank.
Tanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 06:04 PM   #4

Colorado
Camping world said there was an issue with Blue Rhino bottles and they do not work with travel trailers. They blamed that for an issue with the refrigerator that runs on ac or propane. They are telling me it will cost me for a new bottle and installation, because I had a Blue Rhino bottle on the trailer at the time because I thought the original had issues. Now I know that Camping World can not be trusted. I told them I have the original that came with the new trailer, bought this year, and they said to bring it in and they would try to submit it for warranty issues. What a load of bull.
lithuanian98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 09:53 PM   #5

Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanman View Post
The problems I see with Blue Rhino are the tanks are not filled to capacity. If memory serves me right they only put 16 # in a tank vs 20# capacity. Basically you are loosing 20% of your gas. It seems to me its better and cost effective to have your tank filled rather than buying a partial tank.
LPG tanks are only filled to 85% capacity. The other 15% is for gas expansion. I don't know how that equates to your 16 v 20# numbers but that's the deal with filling tanks.
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 04:36 AM   #6

Michigan
Ahh, I think 20 lbs is 20 lbs. propane weighs in at 4.2 lbs per gal at 60 degrees. a 20 lb tank contains roughly 4.75 gallons. a gallon also has about 91,000 btus.

a 30 lb tank has about 7.1 gallons of propane.

By the way, a couple of years ago there was a class action lawsuit againest blue rhino for under filling exchange tanks. This under filling occured between 2005 and 2011. the judgement was 7.50 per tank up to 150.00 is you had proof. 7.50 whith no proof of purchase.
GOLDENYEARS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 06:40 PM   #7

I cant speak about the 20 % rule however when I take my tanks to a gas company they put in 20 pounds each and every time. I never buy blue rhino any longer.
Tanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 07:22 PM   #8

Quebec
I will just add my 2 cents worth from experience having various sizes of propane tank filled. They must leave between 15 and 20% for expansion so if you have a guage that reads in percentage, it should always read in the 80 to 85% range when full. However, you should pay according to the amount of fuel pumped whether measured in gallons or pounds.

kevinmiles is offline   Reply With Quote