bit by the schwintek snake, voltage 3600 - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > General RV Related Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 04-01-2014, 02:19 AM   #1

Kentucky
bit by the schwintek snake, voltage 3600

went out to loadup and go camping and this happened, evidently it jumped the track at the top, basically grenaded itself when i tried to retract the slide. now i cant even move the slide and waiting on a mobile tech to hopefully get it fixed. cant imagine if this had happened in a campground or somewhere when i got ready to leave

any idea what caused it to do this? we still havent even camped in this thing and i starting wish i would have kept my fuzion

djburkeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 11:49 AM   #2

Oklahoma
Keeeeerap!!! That is jacked up and I thought mine was bad at being off two inches.
They, the dealer and warranty people will say the slide got out of sync. Probably the mobile tech will get it back in and off you go to the dealer for warranty work. A few months wait time and you should be back on the road.
The repair for this problem is a new rack and proper installation of the slide system. My repair/dealer shop thought the system was never installed properly and there is evidence of that with the new system.
Insist on both ends being replaced and don't give in.

Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 02:08 PM   #3

Tennessee
That stinks! What were the conditions? Level? Any popping, griding, any notice? How many times have you let the slide out? Hope you get it fixed soon. Please give us awaiting victims an update as to the cause and fix. Good luck.
Old 04-01-2014, 04:33 PM   #4

Washington
It's been awhile since I've posted but I've become somewhat experienced with this problem. Some of you might remember I was having a problem with my slides last fall. My coach went into CW back in Oct. Through no fault of CW, (and all Dutchmen), it's still in there but just about ready to be released. When I packed up to bring it home last fall, the front living room slides wouldn't retract all the way. I took it in and we discovered the floors of the slides had swollen due to water getting in behind the fascia. The Schwintek system is so tight that the binding caused by the swollen floor wouldn't let the slides close all the way. After the floors were ordered (twice) and disassembled it was discovered that the walls also had water damage and needed replacement. Back to Dutchmen and more approval and delays. Eventually all the repairs were made and then into the bodyshop to get repainted. Other things have been fixed while I've been waiting, but its been almost 6 months in the shop.

If your slides were out all winter and you were closing up, you'll probably find that Dutchmen never sealed the fascia on the slide and the floor and or walls are now swollen. The Schwintek system itself isn't the problem here, it's the construction techniques and materials used by Dutchmen. It's well known what I think of Dutchmen so I won't go there. I will say that since Keystone has become involved warranty work has gone smoother, but the lack of quality from Dutchmen will always be waiting to bite. Sorry to hear of your problem. I hope it gets resolved quickly.
Old 04-01-2014, 04:44 PM   #5

Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper2b View Post
That stinks! What were the conditions? Level? Any popping, griding, any notice? How many times have you let the slide out? Hope you get it fixed soon. Please give us awaiting victims an update as to the cause and fix. Good luck.
I was going to ask the same questions when I read the above post. I also wish you good luck with getting it fixed.
arlan in arizona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 07:10 PM   #6

Texas
Ouch. That sucks.

I always wonder how I would handle something like that if I were camping and this happened when I was packing up.
soonernation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 11:29 PM   #7

Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by sawpilot View Post
It's been awhile since I've posted but I've become somewhat experienced with this problem. Some of you might remember I was having a problem with my slides last fall. My coach went into CW back in Oct. Through no fault of CW, (and all Dutchmen), it's still in there but just about ready to be released. When I packed up to bring it home last fall, the front living room slides wouldn't retract all the way. I took it in and we discovered the floors of the slides had swollen due to water getting in behind the fascia. The Schwintek system is so tight that the binding caused by the swollen floor wouldn't let the slides close all the way. After the floors were ordered (twice) and disassembled it was discovered that the walls also had water damage and needed replacement. Back to Dutchmen and more approval and delays. Eventually all the repairs were made and then into the bodyshop to get repainted. Other things have been fixed while I've been waiting, but its been almost 6 months in the shop.

If your slides were out all winter and you were closing up, you'll probably find that Dutchmen never sealed the fascia on the slide and the floor and or walls are now swollen. The Schwintek system itself isn't the problem here, it's the construction techniques and materials used by Dutchmen. It's well known what I think of Dutchmen so I won't go there. I will say that since Keystone has become involved warranty work has gone smoother, but the lack of quality from Dutchmen will always be waiting to bite. Sorry to hear of your problem. I hope it gets resolved quickly.
I can appreciate what you had discovered with your slide. My slide had swollen, also. No one could get it figured out in the 18 months that I had owned it.

I told my repair facility what you had found. WOW! There it was, SWOLLEN. We had finally found the issue with not being able to pull my slide in all the way. Thank you, for finding the issue on yours.

We found where water had run in beneath the facia that wasn't chalked/sealed enough. Bottom replaced facia pulled and sealed correctly.

My slide works great, now. I'm still very apprehensive when I slide that slide out and then bring it back in..............Don't think that apprehension will ever go away.

Thanks again, Sawpilot

2012 Dutchmen 3850RL
Infinityrver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 11:42 PM   #8

Washington
Very happy that my problem was able to help you. That's what this forum is all about, shared misery I guess. My guy at CW in Burlington, WA is the hero in this story. When I took it to him and explained the problem he immediately suspected the water problem. They've actually had 5 other Infinity and Voltage's with the same problem. Again, happy we have been able to identify this issue.
Old 04-02-2014, 12:10 AM   #9

Tennessee
One of the problems is... they're still not sealing theses area's. I sealed mine and went as far as spraying a super hydroponic water repellent along the edges. Had to clean all types of debris out of tracks. Sealer, rubber pieces of the bulb seal that were being chewed up. Had lots of resistance during movement. Much better now but like others, I'm on pins and needles every time I hit the button. Shouldn't have to be like that.
Old 04-02-2014, 01:18 AM   #10

Kentucky
there was a couple of loud pops, i assume where it was jumping the top track. i have probably had the slide in/out maybe half dozen times, and no the slide was not out all winter

the swollen floor could be an issue on mine as i found water damage in the dinette right after i bought it, everything showing water damage was pulled and replaced, then camper was delivered to me

sheesh i will be lucky to camp in the next 3 or 4 months i guess

i may not be built for this camping game.....
djburkeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 07:41 PM   #11

Arkansas
Error code 6

While I was replacing my 8 month old water pump yesterday I noticed my Living Room Slide controller was flashing an error code 6(Motor Short Circuited). I have lubed it twice during the past month per Schwintek video. The last couple times in and out it has made the dreaded popping sound but still opens and closes okay. Today it still works even with the flashing error code. I noticed a couple weeks ago that I have to press the "IN" button twice to get the slide to move. Yesterday the Kitchen slide started requiring two presses to get it to move. No flashing error code on the kitchen slide. The bedroom still requires only one press to get it to move. Anybody else experience this? If you put a slide controller in manual mode how do you get it out of manual mode? The instructions only show how to put it in manual mode.
slb5146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 10:06 PM   #12

Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by slb5146 View Post
While I was replacing my 8 month old water pump yesterday I noticed my Living Room Slide controller was flashing an error code 6(Motor Short Circuited). I have lubed it twice during the past month per Schwintek video. The last couple times in and out it has made the dreaded popping sound but still opens and closes okay. Today it still works even with the flashing error code. I noticed a couple weeks ago that I have to press the "IN" button twice to get the slide to move. Yesterday the Kitchen slide started requiring two presses to get it to move. No flashing error code on the kitchen slide. The bedroom still requires only one press to get it to move. Anybody else experience this? If you put a slide controller in manual mode how do you get it out of manual mode? The instructions only show how to put it in manual mode.

Some have called their helpline with success. Lippert Components 1.574.537.8900 they will call you back. I would give it a call and see. Let us know. We are all dreading that day when these systems fail or act up... what to do?
Old 04-09-2014, 06:11 PM   #13

California
Can anyone provide pictures of the locations where the sealant is missing or applied poorly that caused the water swelling issues?

I would like to have this information during my PDI so I can make the dealer fix it on the spot.
'69 Chevy C10 396BB
Alsdas88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 11:18 PM   #14

Washington
Thumbs up

Don't have my coach right now to take pictures of but it's not difficult to explain. This applies mainly to the Schwintek slides because of the tight tolerance of the system. If you look at the outside wall of the slide you will see that it has trim pieces that look like a picture frame all around the outside of the wall. This is the fascia that hasn't been sealed well. Water gets behind these pieces and gravity takes over directing it down to floor level. If it doesn't drain out (and it doesn't) it soaks the OSB of the floor and it swells up. You can also check under the slide at the outside edge and see if the screws are starting to rust or break off. All these checks are evidence of water getting behind the fascia.
Best of luck to you on your inspection. In order for the fascia to be sealed properly, it must be removed. Don't let them just smear some silicone along the top edge.
Old 04-09-2014, 11:55 PM   #15

Texas
Anyone happen to know if extended warranties would cover this type of repair?
2 HDs & Can-Am Two up
nmroper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 12:13 AM   #16

Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by sawpilot View Post
If you look at the outside wall of the slide you will see that it has trim pieces that look like a picture frame all around the outside of the wall. This is the fascia that hasn't been sealed well. Water gets behind these pieces and gravity takes over directing it down to floor level.
I am not understanding this at all. I have been reading about water damage, and swelling of the slide. Is this water damage occurring when the slides are extended? Isn't everything exposed when the slide is out? This is really not making sense to me.
arlan in arizona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 01:01 AM   #17

Oklahoma
I'm guessing the water seeps behind the facia or trim and finds its way to the floor. The water will find its way to the floor or bottom of the slide whether open or closed.

Your slide may be finished off differently. Mine only has one trim piece on the wardrobe slide. It has settled 3/16 ths of an inch in a year. This is obvious by the original caulk line. I marked and keep an eye on it but it seems to have found a happy spot and hasn't dropped further. It's been recaulked and I don't notice any difference in the movement of the slide since new.

It's sort of hard to picture how the water could hit the OSB unless it's another engineering marvel causing the problem. The exterior wall would need to be cut short and the OSB sitting directly under the exterior wall. If the trim piece were to leak and allow water to pass between the trim and the wall then maybe water could drip on the OSB and swell it.
My trim piece extends about 2 inches beyond the bottom of the floor so I expect the exterior wall would also.
Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 02:29 AM   #18

Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmroper View Post
Anyone happen to know if extended warranties would cover this type of repair?
I asked that question of the warranty tech when I took mine in. He said the extended warranty I have would cover the mechanism of the slide (the Schwintek system) but not the structure.
Old 07-26-2014, 09:20 PM   #19

Colorado
Grrr..

I was hoping to avoid this issue but it seems I'm now also a victim. Took the coach out for the 4th, brought it home ran the slides out to clean, ran them all back in no issues no popping. Put the coach back in storage for two weeks then tried to use it last weekend, low and behold only one side of my galley slide will move. It was a working weekend so I didn't have time to troubleshoot until today.

Fuses check out good, next look at the controller, error code #9, "Hall power short to ground" Attempted manual mode still only motor #1 will run out, dis-enguage both motors to unlock the breaks, no chance in moving the galley slide manually to pull it out enough to check the motor connections. Replaced the controller with the one from the bedroom to test to ensure the controller was good, same issues motor #1 runs out Motor #2 does nothing, sigh, after about 4 hours of messing with it I'll now have to resort to taking it into a dealer for repairs.

Now the fun part the dealer I purchased the Voltage from is booked through Sept, so now I have to resort to one of two local dealers for service that don't sell Voltages but are authorized service dealers for Keystone. Hopefully one of them can get me in sooner or the rest of my summer plans are now shot.

I suppose the only shining ray of hope is the motor failed while the slide was in instead of out.

I did give LCI a call on a Saturday and they called right back and were very helpful with troubleshooting tips to try out, I just can't accomplish half of the troubleshooting as I can't get the darn slide out far enough to test the motor and connections.

Happy summer camping to the rest of you.
Grimtas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 11:47 PM   #20

Washington
If you disconnect the connectors from the slide controllers you release the "brakes" on the motors. You might be able to get a couple of folks and manually push the slide out enough to do some of the trouble shooting LCI suggests.