bit by the schwintek snake, voltage 3600 - Page 3 - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > General RV Related Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 07-29-2014, 11:39 PM   #41

Oklahoma
Is that double track on top? Maybe a drive track along with a support track? That might be an idea since both problems with mine have happened more on the top track with less damage further down. The very bottom track hasn't suffered any damage and only minor damage in the middle.

Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 11:54 PM   #42

Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundancer 87 View Post
Is that double track on top? Maybe a drive track along with a support track? That might be an idea since both problems with mine have happened more on the top track with less damage further down. The very bottom track hasn't suffered any damage and only minor damage in the middle.
It is a double track on top. The only one I saw like that. Its a brand new Winnebago. The lot is full of Schwintek applications, cable too. Of course I still see the ole reliables as well here and there.

Old 07-30-2014, 12:14 AM   #43

Oklahoma
That's a promising look they have there. Is there a way you can make the track photo larger so I can see more detail of the double track?

Maybe I'll get that this time. Of course I don't have a Winnie, I have a VOLTAGE thing.

I wonder, is the name Voltage a metaphor for a shocking surprise? See, attitude getting better Slim. Maybe I'll even get time this weekend for some wind therapy on the scooter, yea!
Old 07-30-2014, 12:36 AM   #44

Tennessee
The more I think about this system I believe it wouldn't matter how many tracks you have. You could have them stacked all the way down and still have problems. First I think synchronization is key since there are 2 motors. As tight as these gear tracks are tolerance is a factor in track damage if the synchronization isn't dang near perfect. Aluminum tracks and steel gears? The tracks are gonna lose!

Second, I think there these slides (not all) are to heavy for this system. Reading the Palazzo owner forum confirms that notion. Now, thirdly.. install. Research has shown manufacturers are not installing these systems with any kind of consistency. Failure to seal areas causing water intrusion floors swelling causing retract issues leading to premature system failure. Tracks not square, room opening improperly sized and so on...

I think, you either have a decent setup or a jacked up setup. As far as the Schwintek system, they need to use it where it works, on smaller rooms that are lite weight, square, kinda like the stage model they use in their videos. And please come up with a manual override system that owners can at least do themselves without the help of family, neighbors, friends, onlookers, or other to help accomplish it. Good grief.. dang... sounds like I'm being negative now oops

That's the best I can do on the picture...sorry, but you definitely get the idea.
Old 07-30-2014, 01:05 AM   #45

Oklahoma
I thought mine was decent until it ate itself late last year. The tech dudes alluded to the fact the system was incorrectly installed at the factory. I could see where the old caulking line and OEM track had been and where the new track was installed in a different location. Then I knew I had a decent install until a few weeks ago when it ate itself again.
I guess I can't feel to badly about it, I mean if my low rent fiver shares misery with the big boys it can't all be bad.
I'll say it again, I'm so glad I haven't been on the road in a camp ground when these failures happened. I think of Steve with his ministries schedule and being stuck waiting for a refrigerator. You know that has to set him back in his schedule.

Thanks for the photos, that'll give me reason to stop at a dealer or two and have a look see.
Old 08-19-2014, 07:12 PM   #46

Colorado
Well my coach is at the dealer since yesterday, just got the call that they confirmed a bad motor. Warranty has been approved now for the parts dept to order the new motor and wait for Keystone to decide when to ship the darn thing. 30 days w/o the coach so far and counting.
Grimtas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 01:49 PM   #47

Colorado
Same thing happened on our 2015 V3605. Never got to use it before the motor controller malfunctioned. I bet it is the same problem on your unit.
Elmobean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 03:18 PM   #48

Colorado
Well got my 3950 back, good news the slide now works after the motor replacement.

The bad news, I have more damage as a result of the repair then the bad motor. I'm now working with Keystone and the owner of the service shop to see what they are going to do to fix their installers mess.

Long story short the technician removed a trim piece from inside the camper to access the slide motor from inside, in doing so he cracked the trim and tore several places of the wall paper next to the trim.

Next he used a screwdriver to remove the plastic cover on the upper corner of the slide (This hides the miter on the aluminum slide, in the corner) and tore up the cover.

The tech then proceeded to drill a hole through my slide to access the motor release bolt without my consent, in doing so the drill bit chewed through the slide seal.

I was aware of the drill method however that should have been a last resort, I would have been happy to go down to the service shop to show them alternative methods to access the motor bolt without having to drill through my camper.

I'm beyond ticked off atm. My Wife always wonders why I chose to do things myself. This is one of those answers I give her, folks just don't respect the property of others anymore.
Old 09-12-2014, 03:32 PM   #49

Oklahoma
It wasn't Windish RV that destroyed it, was it?
Old 09-12-2014, 03:45 PM   #50

Colorado
Took it to an authorized service dealer in Colorado Springs (Not Camping World). I gave up on Windish when in July they told me 90 days to even get an appointment to look at the thing. The dealer I took it to got me a service date within 30 days.

I'll not start on Windish techs, I don't have much faith in their work either after what they did/didn't do on my 5th wheel hitch install.

Again, I let the wife convince me it was a good idea to let Windish install my hitch to save my back. In the end after a return trip to Windish for adjustments to the install, I just gave up and corrected the issues myself, by following the manufacture install instructions to the letter. go figure
Old 09-12-2014, 04:02 PM   #51

Oklahoma
Sounds like it's time for an 'Angie's List' with RV dealers.

We are in a situation without advacacy on these high priced money pits.

Yesterday marked one month for mine in for a slide problem. Since I full time I'm on the hook for a place to live while the expidited repair process takes place. I place no blame on the dealer, as yet, for the time delays.
Old 09-12-2014, 04:07 PM   #52

Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimtas View Post
Well got my 3950 back, good news the slide now works after the motor replacement.

The bad news, I have more damage as a result of the repair then the bad motor. I'm now working with Keystone and the owner of the service shop to see what they are going to do to fix their installers mess.

Long story short the technician removed a trim piece from inside the camper to access the slide motor from inside, in doing so he cracked the trim and tore several places of the wall paper next to the trim.

Next he used a screwdriver to remove the plastic cover on the upper corner of the slide (This hides the miter on the aluminum slide, in the corner) and tore up the cover.

The tech then proceeded to drill a hole through my slide to access the motor release bolt without my consent, in doing so the drill bit chewed through the slide seal.

I was aware of the drill method however that should have been a last resort, I would have been happy to go down to the service shop to show them alternative methods to access the motor bolt without having to drill through my camper.

I'm beyond ticked off atm. My Wife always wonders why I chose to do things myself. This is one of those answers I give her, folks just don't respect the property of others anymore.
While I wholeheartedly agree about the lack of respect of other peoples stuff I really think the bigger issue is he had no idea what he was doing.
Old 09-12-2014, 04:23 PM   #53

Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by sawpilot View Post
While I wholeheartedly agree about the lack of respect of other peoples stuff I really think the bigger issue is he had no idea what he was doing.
That was apparent when I had to tell the tech where the motor mount screw was located and how to access it for removal when I dropped it off.

I didn't expect to have the tech use a youtube tip to drill into the slide to access the screw. That video was a private owner making his own repairs.

At the very least I should have received a call from the service center advising me that they felt that would be a required procedure and request my consent to drill into my camper. I would have never given that consent and instead would have gone to the shop and displayed how to do it without drilling. My self and two neighbors were able to get the slide far enough out to access the motor mount screw in my driveway when I was troubleshooting the issue while waiting for the service date so I'm at a loss.
Old 09-12-2014, 04:30 PM   #54

Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundancer 87 View Post
Yesterday marked one month for mine in for a slide problem. Since I full time I'm on the hook for a place to live while the expidited repair process takes place. I place no blame on the dealer, as yet, for the time delays.
I ran into a similar issue on mine, it's bad enough I'm nearly at 60 days unable to use my camper due to the slide issue, fortunately it's my future retirement plan not my permanent home.

Once the service shop stated they needed to order a motor, I immediately requested the Dutchmen/Keystone order number and expected time of delivery of parts. I was given the standard 7-10 business days for the service center to receive the parts.

On the 11th business day I called the service shop (no fault of theirs) to check the status on the parts and get an answer that they had not been invoiced for the parts and have not received them.

That was the queue to get on the horn with Dutchmen/Keystone. I ran far enough up the chain until I had the parts next day aired to the service center. (I recall telling a senior manager in customer support that the RV industry as a whole really couldn't give a rats arse about their customers beyond the initial sale) He didn't like that statement too much as I think I touched too much on the truth.

If you as an owner don't stay on top of the service center and Dutchmen/Keystone, they will continue to take all the time they can. Your paying out of pocket for lodging as a result of your slide issue, use that information with dealing with Dutchmen/Keystone.
Old 09-16-2014, 05:37 PM   #55

Colorado
So my saga continues:
I had a meeting with one of the owners, the comptroller, and service manager (Conveniently the service tech was sent home when I arrived) in regards to the damage they caused from the slide motor replacement.

Prior to bringing the camper back to them I called both Lippert and Dutchmen to ensure non of their techs would have informed the dealer tech to drill into my camper to replace the motor.

Of course the Three stooges I dealt with on Friday at the service center are stating Dutchmen told the tech to drill the hole. Now the service center is trying to scape out of the repair bills by trying to claim it under warranty, or bad advice from Dutchmen.

I had another call back from a senior manager in customer care in Dutchmen and was advised they have email proof that the tech was sent a link to Lippert instructional videos on the repair procedure. I re-reviewed all Lippert instructional videos and non of them state to drill any holes.

I feel this is going to get ugly before it's all done. Guess I'm also looking for another service center now as I won't take mine to any camping world.

Edit: For the record Camping World did not do this. I didn't mean for it to sound that way, they are the only other option within a reasonable distance. The Selling Dealership I think I've given up on also, they don't have enough staff to service the campers they sell, and I can't afford to wait 90 days for a service appt everytime something goes wrong with it.
Old 09-16-2014, 05:53 PM   #56

British Columbia
Sounds like like a battle royal coming up, let the finger pointing begin.

I hope it all works out for you.
hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 06:28 PM   #57

Colorado
Grimtas,
If your selling dealer was Windish, I recommend getting a bit irritated with them. I yelled and screamed due to mine being a brand new unit and having slide issues less than 1 month after taking delivery. I too got that long wait until I moved up the chain and magically not only did they get it in right away they came to Falcon and picked it up. I have been in contact with the owner Carolyn Windish-Irwin, she call back right away and assured me they will take care of "everything" to my satisfaction. Dont know if this helps but, dont stop at a manager if you are not getting results.
Old 09-16-2014, 06:47 PM   #58

Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcntry13 View Post
Grimtas,
If your selling dealer was Windish, I recommend getting a bit irritated with them. I yelled and screamed due to mine being a brand new unit and having slide issues less than 1 month after taking delivery. I too got that long wait until I moved up the chain and magically not only did they get it in right away they came to Falcon and picked it up. I have been in contact with the owner Carolyn Windish-Irwin, she call back right away and assured me they will take care of "everything" to my satisfaction. Dont know if this helps but, dont stop at a manager if you are not getting results.
Thanks for the pointer, after I got the run around I did in July I figured it wasn't worth the effort. Especially after finding out the service manager I had been working with left. I didn't feel like training another and the jerk that answered the phone when I called really torqued me off that I just said the heck with them.

I've been seeing a lot of Voltages in my neighborhood of late I've probably seen yours around
Old 09-16-2014, 07:08 PM   #59

Colorado
Your welcome. You probably have for sure Mine is back in to have slides fixed for the 2nd time along with multiple other issues. I will see if they can get it fixed right this time. If not I dont know what will happen next. The owner took a copy of all this issues and is convinced they will get it taken care of. I dont believe she has any idea how her people are treating her customers. I would suggest calling and talking to her or Linda Hanstrom. Linda is Carolyns business manager and is very pleasant. At least so they know there is multiple people upset. Otherwise they think every thing is find and dandy. Hold them to the fire and see what kind of results you can get
Old 09-16-2014, 10:31 PM   #60

Colorado
Can you give me the number to the owner? We have a 3605 also purchased from Windish July 7th and have not been able to use it due to a list of 24 problems!!

Elmobean is offline   Reply With Quote