bit by the schwintek snake, voltage 3600 - Page 2 - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > General RV Related Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 07-27-2014, 01:09 AM   #21

Colorado
I tried that, even with all the weight in the galley slide 4 big guys couldn't budge it, I did consider removing all the screwes and two bolts that hold the motor assembly on the outside of the coach to manually slide the whole assembly out, then said the heck with it it's under warranty I'll let the dealer deal with it. I'm now hearing gear grinding noises so I'm thinking it's much worse then just a dead motor.

Sad thing is I never open the slides unless fully level and either hooked to shore power or run the gennie. I spray dry lube just prior to each trip so I've done my part.

Grimtas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 01:19 AM   #22

Washington
Not your fault. It's a poor design and even poorer installation. I got to the point I put mine up for sale. Hope your able to get it fixed soon.

Old 07-27-2014, 02:02 AM   #23

Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimtas View Post
I tried that, even with all the weight in the galley slide 4 big guys couldn't budge it, I did consider removing all the screwes and two bolts that hold the motor assembly on the outside of the coach to manually slide the whole assembly out, then said the heck with it it's under warranty I'll let the dealer deal with it. I'm now hearing gear grinding noises so I'm thinking it's much worse then just a dead motor.

Sad thing is I never open the slides unless fully level and either hooked to shore power or run the gennie. I spray dry lube just prior to each trip so I've done my part.
You'll be happy to know that I drove my 3800 40 miles from Tulsa after having it in for major repair of a stuck slide. Then I drove the unit 20 miles to add gas to the tanks.

After 4 1/2 operations of my newly rebuilt slide system I am now sitting here with a 13 foot slide stuck, hanging at a nice rain run off angle and three inches on the bottom still inside.

However, I have an appointment with the mobile mechanic (a 175 dollar roll charge) to come out and get the thing back in for yet another trip to Tulsa for repairs.

Of course the parts will be expedited, a word bantied about loosely these days by the warranty weenies.

Fortunately I am full time and parked for extended periods of time. I feel bad for those of you that wanted an RV you could count on.

I know the next time I go on the road and have to stop at a campground over night I'll probably be awake all night worrying if this POS will go back in. Then there's the small slide, no problem so far but it's still a Schwintek system.

The first time in for repairs had me relocated on my dime for two months. It'll be my dime again but hopefully not as long.

It might be about time for a class action suit against the manufacturer and its lousy work.
Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 04:58 AM   #24

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundancer 87 View Post
You'll be happy to know that I drove my 3800 40 miles from Tulsa after having it in for major repair of a stuck slide. Then I drove the unit 20 miles to add gas to the tanks.

After 4 1/2 operations of my newly rebuilt slide system I am now sitting here with a 13 foot slide stuck, hanging at a nice rain run off angle and three inches on the bottom still inside.

However, I have an appointment with the mobile mechanic (a 175 dollar roll charge) to come out and get the thing back in for yet another trip to Tulsa for repairs.

Of course the parts will be expedited, a word bantied about loosely these days by the warranty weenies.

Fortunately I am full time and parked for extended periods of time. I feel bad for those of you that wanted an RV you could count on.

I know the next time I go on the road and have to stop at a campground over night I'll probably be awake all night worrying if this POS will go back in. Then there's the small slide, no problem so far but it's still a Schwintek system.

The first time in for repairs had me relocated on my dime for two months. It'll be my dime again but hopefully not as long.

It might be about time for a class action suit against the manufacturer and its lousy work.
Now we're talking, somewhere down the road the RV industry has to be held accountable.
hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 11:00 AM   #25
Site Team

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by hddecker View Post
Now we're talking, somewhere down the road the RV industry has to be held accountable.
Been tried multiple times, but with little results.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 01:33 PM   #26

Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post
Been tried multiple times, but with little results.

Aaron
Are you saying it has been tried multiple times to make the industry held accountable or are you saying class action lawsuits have been tried.

The deal here is, the manufacture has built a product with a high price tag that has a major problem. Basically this problem is making people apprehensive and flat out afraid to use the product for fear of failure. This is like having an automobile that you hope never has to do a panic stop.
GM is in the deep crap now for a major problem that's costing them some change so why can't the RV industry be brought to task?
I realize an RV isn't the same as an auto vehicle due to the different in a transport vehicle and a recreational vehicle.
Old 07-27-2014, 02:31 PM   #27
Site Team

North Carolina
There have been class action suits brought against various players in the RV industry multiple times, most are dismissed before they ever gain any traction. Unfortunately RV's are considered a luxury and are not covered under much more than the Caveat Emptor rule. Every now and again someone will win a very limited lawsuit, but it is rare. The RV industry is only accountable to it's shareholders and we know how well that works.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 02:38 PM   #28

Oklahoma
Well, I'm responsible for the pay off on this thing so I've decided the next the slide pukes I'll turn this thing into a park model mobile home. Put it on a slab, skirt the perimeter and pull the wheels. Get me a garden shed for more junk and a pet turtle.

Then, if I want to use the Chevy 3500 to pull a pop up tent I'll do so without the apprehension of having a stuck slide.
Old 07-27-2014, 05:05 PM   #29

Oklahoma
Quote:
I was hoping to avoid this issue but it seems I'm now also a victim. Took the coach out for the 4th, brought it home ran the slides out to clean, ran them all back in no issues no popping. Put the coach back in storage for two weeks then tried to use it last weekend, low and behold only one side of my galley slide will move. It was a working weekend so I didn't have time to troubleshoot until today.

Fuses check out good, next look at the controller, error code #9, "Hall power short to ground" Attempted manual mode still only motor #1 will run out, dis-enguage both motors to unlock the breaks, no chance in moving the galley slide manually to pull it out enough to check the motor connections. Replaced the controller with the one from the bedroom to test to ensure the controller was good, same issues motor #1 runs out Motor #2 does nothing, sigh, after about 4 hours of messing with it I'll now have to resort to taking it into a dealer for repairs.

Now the fun part the dealer I purchased the Voltage from is booked through Sept, so now I have to resort to one of two local dealers for service that don't sell Voltages but are authorized service dealers for Keystone. Hopefully one of them can get me in sooner or the rest of my summer plans are now shot.

I suppose the only shining ray of hope is the motor failed while the slide was in instead of out.

I did give LCI a call on a Saturday and they called right back and were very helpful with troubleshooting tips to try out, I just can't accomplish half of the troubleshooting as I can't get the darn slide out far enough to test the motor and connections.

Happy summer camping to the rest of you.
Peruse the Schwintek Slide Problem thread. Your answer is most likely there.
In a nut, the motor is dead
Old 07-27-2014, 10:29 PM   #30

Indiana
It's amazing how much our anxiety has increased over our Schwintec slides. I've had three other (SOB's) 5ers before this one and have never worried about my slides working. It was a non-issue.
I've gone to three different campgrounds since the 4th. Each time I take a deep breath and then a sigh of relief each time I move my Schwintec slides, in or out.
I feel as though there has been an accomplishment each time that I get them back in to move to the next campground.
When we're heading South to Florida or back to Maine I try not to move either slide unless I absolutely have to.
What a way to live!

2012 Dutchmen 3850RL
Infinityrver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 10:40 PM   #31

Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post
There have been class action suits brought against various players in the RV industry multiple times, most are dismissed before they ever gain any traction. Unfortunately RV's are considered a luxury and are not covered under much more than the Caveat Emptor rule. Every now and again someone will win a very limited lawsuit, but it is rare. The RV industry is only accountable to it's shareholders and we know how well that works.

Aaron
Now, if we had someone holding stock in Thor we would have times, dates and venues for the annual shareholder's meeting.
Just imagine a handful of trashed slide owner's showing up with pictures to show the shareholders.

Maybe even pull the rigs wherever the meeting is held and offer a show and tell or blockade. Unfortunately some of us would have to travel more than one day and probably a slide would puke up before we got there
Old 07-28-2014, 04:42 AM   #32

Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinityrver View Post
It's amazing how much our anxiety has increased over our Schwintec slides. I've had three other (SOB's) 5ers before this one and have never worried about my slides working. It was a non-issue.
I've gone to three different campgrounds since the 4th. Each time I take a deep breath and then a sigh of relief each time I move my Schwintec slides, in or out.
I feel as though there has been an accomplishment each time that I get them back in to move to the next campground.
When we're heading South to Florida or back to Maine I try not to move either slide unless I absolutely have to.
What a way to live!
Our warranty expired last week. I called Keystone the day our warranty expired and explained that our slides are popping and CW didn't have time to work on it the week before when they replaced the cooling unit in my refrigerator. They said they would cover the slides and a problem I'm having with my level-up system.

We have moved at least once a week since we brought the Voltage. For months I cringe every time I slide them in or out. Not a very good way to live week after week.
slb5146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 04:48 PM   #33

Colorado
Quote:
Peruse the Schwintek Slide Problem thread. Your answer is most likely there.
In a nut, the motor is dead
I think it's more involved then a dead motor after some further troubleshooting on Saturday.

After switching out controllers and going through all the manual mode stuff, I considered taking off the (Motor/gear) assembly from the outside of the coach. No luck there either as I cant get a proper angle to all the screws to move the whole slide track/motor assembly out.

The last test I did in manual mode on the controller was to disconnect the working motor and try to run out the bad side. I can hear the motor running and what seems to be gear noise for a few seconds. Since I can't gain access to the assembly I'll have to resort to my maintenance appt on Aug 18th. and let them deal with it. Once they have the parts identified and a replacement order in place I assure you I will be calling LCI and Keystone daily to get tracking numbers on the parts.

What I was attempting to do was identify the fault as I would have just had a dealer confirm and order the parts and I would have replaced it myself.
Old 07-28-2014, 11:05 PM   #34

Oklahoma
Quote:
I think it's more involved then a dead motor after some further troubleshooting on Saturday.

After switching out controllers and going through all the manual mode stuff, I considered taking off the (Motor/gear) assembly from the outside of the coach. No luck there either as I cant get a proper angle to all the screws to move the whole slide track/motor assembly out.

The last test I did in manual mode on the controller was to disconnect the working motor and try to run out the bad side. I can hear the motor running and what seems to be gear noise for a few seconds. Since I can't gain access to the assembly I'll have to resort to my maintenance appt on Aug 18th. and let them deal with it. Once they have the parts identified and a replacement order in place I assure you I will be calling LCI and Keystone daily to get tracking numbers on the parts.

What I was attempting to do was identify the fault as I would have just had a dealer confirm and order the parts and I would have replaced it myself.
I'm not absolutely sure you can remove all of the rack/track screws. Some stay inside the rig until the entire slide is hyper extended. Then the slide would need to be supported somehow to prevent unnecessary load on the inside trim molding that keeps the slide from falling out.

If it was that easy to get the track and motor out it would be cake, but it's not.

We might be able to replace a motor ourselves but it's tight up there behind the seals where the wires have to be disconnected and then there's the trick of getting the new motor indexed.

This is a process that I won't attempt to tackle again after a short learning experience on motors and wires.
Old 07-29-2014, 05:54 PM   #35

Colorado
This is what I was talking about.

Old 07-29-2014, 09:52 PM   #36

Tennessee
Yep thats the way to get it out. One problem would be, if the slide is in and dead how will one access screws and the set screw on the motor? I disconnected the power to my motors today for a test. You cant budge it not even a fraction, in or out. Not even with two strong guys. There are flaws especially with manual override procedures. One can only hope it stops working under pristine conditions so the motors can be removed and slide moved manually.

It all looks soooo simple on that tiny lil slide they use for demonstrations.
Old 07-29-2014, 10:31 PM   #37

Oklahoma
Quote:
This is what I was talking about.

Go for it!! Should be real easy if your slide is eye level, no caulking to cut loose, no floor on the inside or anything inside the slide. Oh yeah, no motor or track on the other end to deal with.
Old 07-29-2014, 10:55 PM   #38

Tennessee
Quote:
Go for it!! Should be real easy if your slide is eye level, no caulking to cut loose, no floor on the inside or anything inside the slide. Oh yeah, no motor or track on the other end to deal with.

Robert, dont be so negative... the video dont lie. I love the way he slipped with the drill in the end... glad he wasnt on a ladder.
Old 07-29-2014, 11:11 PM   #39

Oklahoma
Ok, I will work on the negativity while they engineer a real slide system or go back to the juice slides, the ones that worked.

Maybe I'll get that new system that's working on a patent. That one might work.
Old 07-29-2014, 11:31 PM   #40

Tennessee
Visited camping world today ... took a look at a few slides. One is on a 14 year old coach and still works ... not sure how it works, but it does. The other, a new design I think by Schwintek...haven't seen it before.