BEWARE: Electrical Problems - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-07-2022, 04:07 PM   #1

Oregon
BEWARE: Electrical Problems

We have owned our 2020 Aspen Trail 2750BH for just over two years. Enjoying many trips over that time. However plugged it in to shore power yesterday to cool down the refrigerator before our trip today. I turned on the fridge and got my green light and walked away. Later in the evening my wife called to say the fridge was not cold and light was red. Upon checking I had no AC power anywhere. All circuit breakers were good. Removed the fuse panel cover to inspect and test incoming power. First thing noticed was the white (neutral) feed to the buss bar was discolored and burnt. The wire was not in the bus bar but on the outside and the end touching between two of the screws. You can see in my photo a slight scarred area between the two screws where it had been arcing. I cleaned the end and installed in the bar. The wire was never put in the bar and the screw never tightened down. There is no way the wire could have came out from vibration as a ground wire had it pinned in place. Finally after arcing all this time it corroded enough to prevent a connection.
All this time we have slept in a fire hazard. The panel is located below the bottom bunk. It is amazing that all this time everything worked, A/C, heater, hot water heater, etc.. with no problems until yesterday. I checked and tightened all connections and also found my feed lines from the inverter also loose. Quality control, I think not! Kinda like the rotary saw guy cutting jagged holes 4 times to big to run power and plumbing.
Before removing your electrical panel cover ensure you are disconnected from shore power and your battery is disconnected to prevent arching and electrical shock. Then you can proceed to check for loose connections by checking each bus bar and circuit breaker screws, do not over tighten the screws.
I have experience in electrical so if you are not sure you can safely check this I would recommend getting someone who does to check it for you. Mine may be a one off problem but this could lead to losing your trailer and your life. I suggest you check or have it checked if only for your piece of mind and safety!
Note: in photo wire was inserted into bus bar for testing purposes, later removed, burnt area removed and reconnected. I’m saying this as I know someone will say that was not a good repair.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	C9592751-482D-4E79-A614-E214B488B9CF.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	7432  

Edwal07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2022, 04:56 PM   #2

Wisconsin
I am not saying your diagnosis is wrong, but loose connectors are common in RV's. Some component manufacturers include checking for loose connections as a part of annual maintenance.

An RV is a rolling earth quake while underway.

persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 09:57 PM   #3

Oklahoma
Make sure you use a torque screwdriver to tighten the screws!
ggleaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2022, 04:22 AM   #4

Alabama
..Amen. I have found many loose connections in my 2012 Dutchman Komfort.
Livin the Life
OldOneTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2022, 06:09 PM   #5

Arizona
Thank you.
I'm off to check my power center!!
David
People, Places & Things...for over 40 Years!
videoarizona is offline   Reply With Quote