Best way to haul water / deal with waste - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > General RV Related Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 02-27-2019, 01:41 AM   #1

Manitoba
Best way to haul water / deal with waste

Ok it's been confirmed I got a seasonal lot this summer but theres no power no water. I will need to haul fresh water out there whenever we go out to the camper which we be a hour away from town. I'm not scared to do it but will need help with termanology and what too look for I will need a waste tank to haul greybsnd black water to the dump but dont even know what their called lol and what's the best way to haul fresh water with us? thanks again. still learning the ropes here only second year with our 240 bhsl.

moosey069 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 10:21 AM   #2

Florida
There's a bunch of those portable waste tanks out there, not sure which is best.

https://campaddict.com/rv-portable-waste-tank/

If I was going to use one of those I would have one of the macerators...

https://express.google.com/u/0/produ...4aAl_CEALw_wcB

franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 06:27 PM   #3

South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosey069 View Post
Ok it's been confirmed I got a seasonal lot this summer but theres no power no water. I will need to haul fresh water out there whenever we go out to the camper which we be a hour away from town. I'm not scared to do it but will need help with termanology and what too look for I will need a waste tank to haul greybsnd black water to the dump but dont even know what their called lol and what's the best way to haul fresh water with us? thanks again. still learning the ropes here only second year with our 240 bhsl.

If you stick one of these (or something similar) in the back of your pickup and the output is higher than your freshwater inlet on your trailer. Gravity will do the work for you.

https://www.amazon.com/RomoTech-Hori...s%2C162&sr=8-3

Have fun
Bill
ArmyVeteran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 07:21 PM   #4

Wyoming
Ok, I don't wanna say that I really advocate this... but, in theory, in re your grey water, you don't really "need" to transport it away. I mean, it's just shower & sink drain water.

Unless you're dumping food-waste down your kitchen sink... it's just the same thing that tent-campers dump on the ground all the time, right? Maybe not necessarily in the same quantity, but in reality it's the same thing.

If you're worried about the neighbors seeing you dump grey water, and maybe having it pond by your rig... depending on the size of your grey-water tank, just wait til it rains to dump it, they'll never know, and the rains will drain it away.

Not necessarily an ideal situation... but that'll probably cut the number of times you'll need to transport your waste-fluids by about 70%.
2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
ATCguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 09:09 PM   #5

Iowa
You can buy a twist on sewer cap that has a garden hose fitting on it, then just hook a 50' garden hose to it and pull it out to a good spot and drain the GREY! I know a guy that does this.
dougs2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 10:03 PM   #6

Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyVeteran View Post
If you stick one of these (or something similar) in the back of your pickup and the output is higher than your freshwater inlet on your trailer. Gravity will do the work for you.

https://www.amazon.com/RomoTech-Hori...s%2C162&sr=8-3

Have fun
Bill
Or you can buy a 12 volt pump and pump it into TT. You can buy a boat bilge pump at wal mart that is 12 volt,, can be submerged if needed and a lot less $ than a rv pump
Local150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 01:50 PM   #7
Site Team

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougs2 View Post
You can buy a twist on sewer cap that has a garden hose fitting on it, then just hook a 50' garden hose to it and pull it out to a good spot and drain the GREY! I know a guy that does this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATCguy View Post
Ok, I don't wanna say that I really advocate this... but, in theory, in re your grey water, you don't really "need" to transport it away. I mean, it's just shower & sink drain water.

Unless you're dumping food-waste down your kitchen sink... it's just the same thing that tent-campers dump on the ground all the time, right? Maybe not necessarily in the same quantity, but in reality it's the same thing.

If you're worried about the neighbors seeing you dump grey water, and maybe having it pond by your rig... depending on the size of your grey-water tank, just wait til it rains to dump it, they'll never know, and the rains will drain it away.

Not necessarily an ideal situation... but that'll probably cut the number of times you'll need to transport your waste-fluids by about 70%.
Just be aware that some areas restrict dumping of gray water and you could be fined for it.

Also please avoid draining it with in 150' of any body of water.

We routinely water our garden with gray water from the house and the RV, besides gardens grow greener over the septic tank!

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 06:00 PM   #8

Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post
We routinely water our garden with gray water from the house and the RV, besides gardens grow greener over the septic tank!

Aaron
I'm guilty of dumping gray and black water from my house for the past 22 years.
Old 03-02-2019, 07:41 AM   #9

Oregon
Are you really 1 hour away from fresh water and a dump station? For me personally I would not transfer 26 gallons of black water and then trudge it to a dump station a hour away. Most totes I have seen are 25 gallons max so your probably looking at 250 lbs + of being a youtube sensation.

I would carry fresh water in a water bladder. You can get them up to 150 gallons and it would lay in the bed of the truck.
https://www.amazon.com/Water-Storage...ateway&sr=8-11
I don't have a problem with dumping gray water in the right places. Not in the National Park where the guy next to me dumped his 100 gallons gray water as it ran across his site and in front of mine.

I have used the garden hose attachment to the sewer outlet for gray water. I ran a 100 foot hose out into the pasture no one around for miles and it was fine.
Back to the black water.....
A 26 gallon black tank will not last long, two people not being too conservative ("THE MOUND") maybe you got 6 to 10 days. I would do a search and see if there are any dump stations closer to the your camp location. Check for campgrounds and trailer parks that may charge a dump fee. When time comes take the trailer to the dump station for a good dump and flush.
Good luck let us know how it works out.
1l243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 03:12 PM   #10

Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1l243 View Post
I don't have a problem with dumping gray water in the right places. Not in the National Park where the guy next to me dumped his 100 gallons gray water as it ran across his site and in front of mine.
Some people are just brain dead. We were staying in a very nice park last year and watched a lady let her dog crap dead center of an empty spot, then she kicked gravel over it and walked off.
Old 03-04-2019, 01:00 PM   #11

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosey069 View Post

The fresh water bladder from Amazon is the way to go there. As for black and gray I used a 210 gallon tank I found on Craigslist like this https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/pr...l?cm_vc=-10005 for $50. Guys was selling his mobile car wash stuff and I got lucky. I adapted it with parts from TS and used it to gravity feed to the dump site. We were at a state park for almost 2 years with no sewer and it worked great. You will need a macerator pump like this on that I used and still do on occasion: https://www.amazon.com/Clean-Dump-CD...s%2C351&sr=8-2

We pumped gray water every week into the tank in the back of my truck and then black water once a month or so as we have 2 bathrooms and each is 47 gallons each. We eventually found a cheap trailer to put it on and strapped it down, worked great. Initial costs are a bit high but we still have everything, son has the tank and trailer and still uses it for watering his back 40 when needed.

If we move back to the Park to host again in the future (very likely) we will do the same thing all over again. Good luck hope that helps.
CSCLARK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 10:38 PM   #12

Manitoba
sorry our dump station is in the campground but the crash water is 1hr away. thanks for the advice I'll look for one of those bladders I think.

moosey069 is offline   Reply With Quote