Best Automatic Satellite dish for the RV? - Page 2 - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > General RV Related Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 03-28-2016, 02:03 AM   #21

Nevada
Like I mentioned I changed out spring increasing load range by 800lbs. Worked great and reduced air needed in bags. I also carry roughly 2500lbs cargo in the garage which reduces pin weight.

Soccerloco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 02:41 AM   #22

Arizona
I have a Winegard Travler with my Directv system. The travler is the only antenna that will get Directv HD (all three satellites). I installed the sat myself and it was fairly easy except for the heavy weight of the sat getting up to the roof. My home uses the wireless Genie system that I take with me in the V-3600.

azdryheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 03:35 AM   #23

Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by azdryheat View Post
I have a Winegard Travler with my Directv system. The travler is the only antenna that will get Directv HD (all three satellites). I installed the sat myself and it was fairly easy except for the heavy weight of the sat getting up to the roof. My home uses the wireless Genie system that I take with me in the V-3600.
The Travler does look nice, but has a big price tag -- but you get what you pay for in the long run i guess.
Helidriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 03:37 AM   #24

Nevada
It does have a big price tag. I looked and looked and buying one time is the cheapest in the long run. Bill
Soccerloco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 02:36 PM   #25
Site Team

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundancer 87 View Post
I'm not familiar with the mini dome, is that smaller than a normal 18 inch domed system?

If it is smaller then I can see the difficulty because of the three or five LNB requirement plus the reconfiguration of the reflector (dish).
A 24 inch system might be able to manage HD content. That is if this size is available for the RV market. They could do it, remember the first transistor radios and brick cell phones?
Hell I remember the Campbell soup cans a string!

I also remember "radio" telephones where you called a dispatcher and they would patch you through.

We currently have Direct TV at home and a King Jack on the camper. I would ditch Direct in a heart beat if it were just me and the dog. At the house I am getting 30+ OTA channels with the King antenna on the RV.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 05:47 PM   #26

Tennessee
For $75, I get all my Direct HD channels through a regular dish, but you do have to set it up. Sometimes it takes 10 minutes, sometimes half a day.

I'd rather go without TV, than watch low def football.
Old 03-28-2016, 05:50 PM   #27

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawniewest View Post
For $75, I get all my Direct HD channels through a regular dish, but you do have to set it up. Sometimes it takes 10 minutes, sometimes half a day.

I'd rather go without TV, than watch low def football.
Low def anything.

When I was a kid I was going nowhere fast, now I'm an old man I'm going everywhere slow.
hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 05:52 PM   #28

Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by hddecker View Post
Low def anything.
Amen
Old 03-28-2016, 05:55 PM   #29

Wyoming
Yeah, I admit that I splurged on getting the full setup with the Travl'r HD antenna a few months ago because I'm a baseball nut. I wanna see not only my team, but a few others... and I wanna see it in HD. But if it wasn't for that, the OTA antenna would've been fine for me.
2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
ATCguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 06:09 PM   #30

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATCguy View Post
Yeah, I admit that I splurged on getting the full setup with the Travl'r HD antenna a few months ago because I'm a baseball nut. I wanna see not only my team, but a few others... and I wanna see it in HD. But if it wasn't for that, the OTA antenna would've been fine for me.
The plus with HD is you can actualy see the ball.

When I was a kid I was going nowhere fast, now I'm an old man I'm going everywhere slow.
hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 02:43 AM   #31

Missouri
Ok last weekend the wind blew over my Direct TV dish and bent it and I couldn't get a signal. So I thought I would bring this thread up again, since I never saw the answer for the original poster.
I am going to get either a Winegard G2+ or a King Quest automatic dish. The Winegard Traveler is out of the question for two reasons, cost and there are a whole lot of trees here in Missouri where I mostly camp. I don't know how pissed I would be after dropping $1.5K and my first camping trip I can't get a signal... With the carry out, I will have the ability to place it in a opening to have a better chance to get a signal.
I understand with Direct TV I will not be getting HD, but I have figured that its ok because I really only watch the news in the morning and a little TV before bed. The rest of the time I am enjoying the outdoors like I am supposed to be doing!
Both units are capable of changing from Direct TV to Dish if I choose to change services. Looking for input on operation and value.

2014 Denali 289RK
2017 Nissan Titan XD Pro-4X CC.
EricNSTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 03:03 AM   #32

Utah
I ended up going with the King VQ4510 -( Dish network) , I am currently camping in Moab Utah and have been for the last 6 days, So far for the cost I am very happy, yesterday we had some rain and cloud cover and I did lose signal- as per the reviews I was expecting this. Overall I am very happy with my king system, though it would have been nice to have one that could do both direct and dish but for the cost I went simple. - not sure if that helps at all but just my 2 cnts
Helidriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 01:02 AM   #33

Missouri
I ended up ordering the King Quest VQ4100 satellite dish. I will use it this weekend and report back.

2014 Denali 289RK
2017 Nissan Titan XD Pro-4X CC.
EricNSTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 04:02 AM   #34

California
Something that makes life a little easier and setup a little quicker. Pickup a small inverter (small enough that it doesn't require a built in cooling fan) I found 140 watt at Napa that will plug into the 12 volt outlet in the AV cabinet. Then keep your satellite receiver plugged in the entire time you are on the road to avoid setting up from scratch every time you cycle your generator. ( Stanley (PCI140) 140W Power Inverter). This is a good choice and it has a USB charger port for your cell phone!

Rob C is offline   Reply With Quote