Awning - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > General RV Related Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 06-27-2021, 12:45 AM   #1

Illinois
Awning

Been having alot of rain lately but noticed today one end of awning was sagging real bad. Got to checking it out and there is water in the fabric, with it sagging that bad can't roll it up even. It is electric awning, any way to get the water out of there ? Thank you in advance

Local150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2021, 01:00 AM   #2

Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by Local150 View Post
Been having alot of rain lately but noticed today one end of awning was sagging real bad. Got to checking it out and there is water in the fabric, with it sagging that bad can't roll it up even. It is electric awning, any way to get the water out of there ? Thank you in advance
“IN” the fabric?? Or do you simply mean “on” the fabric which has created a ‘pocket’ of sagging?

If the latter, on an electric awning… simply walk up to one of the arms, and pull it down along the rail. That side of the awning will dip, and spill the water out.

(Be prepared to get wet!)

2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
ATCguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2021, 12:41 PM   #3

Florida
Common practice is to “tilt” one side of your awning so the water runs off.
franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2021, 09:55 PM   #4

Illinois
In the fabric, never seen this before
Old 06-27-2021, 10:15 PM   #5

Wyoming
Quote:
In the fabric, never seen this before
Yeah, me neither, and can’t really visualize how it’s possible. I mean, it should only be a few millimeters thick.

But ok… if it’s “in” the fabric as you say, that means it has to be at least 2-ply. So on the underside, I’d simply get up on a ladder and poke 1 or maybe 2 small holes in it (depending on size) with an ice pick to allow it to drain. You don’t want to use a knife, or make a slit… as that has the potential to rip further with time. But a ‘rounded’ object like an ice pick should make a round hole, and shouldn’t tear further.
2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
ATCguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 04:32 AM   #6

Illinois
Good advice, I did that, put 2 small holes in and it drained for a long time. Not sure how it got in there, we have had alot of heavy rain lately. I am thinking either there is a small hole that I can't see on the top side or it is leaking around the stitching. Thanks for the reply
Old 07-03-2021, 08:55 PM   #7

Texas
Quote:
Good advice, I did that, put 2 small holes in and it drained for a long time. Not sure how it got in there, we have had alot of heavy rain lately. I am thinking either there is a small hole that I can't see on the top side or it is leaking around the stitching. Thanks for the reply
if the material is rolled under on the awning it is possible to be rolled up in the wrong direction. the material on the awning should come over the top to allow the water to run off and not get trapped.
xomerlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2021, 11:01 PM   #8

Illinois
It is rolled correctly, thnx for the reply
Old 07-29-2021, 10:39 PM   #9

Illinois
Awning

Finally figured out how water got between the layers of the awning. Got up on a ladder and found a tear in the top layer and you couldn't see it from the ground. Gonna order new awning fabric. Seems there are a few different types of fabric. Maybe some of you have had experiences with all. Hoping to hear your opinions. Thanks
Old 07-28-2022, 02:02 AM   #10

Florida
Awning will go out but not retract

My awning will go out but not retract. Replaced switch, still have same problem. Checked the end leads and no power when hitting the retract. Not sure where to look next. Can’t find where the wire from outside goes in.

Rbrown35 is offline   Reply With Quote