Anything we can do about possible "lemons"? - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-14-2013, 06:49 PM   #1

Anything we can do about possible "lemons"?

What course of action could one possibly take if we've been stuck with a trailer that has multiple issues that they won't fix? Where can we start after trying with the manufacturer?

KDOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 08:33 PM   #2

New York
kdog I think you may have a problem proving anything on a trailer mfgd in 2009 - your trailer is almost 5 years old......some of the items you are complaining about may be age/user related...such as the water pump. If you purchased this trailer new you should have had it to the dealer for warranty work when new....if you bought it used, the old adage is buyer beware....

We have a 2013 Rubicon, bought it last October, used it 2 weeks then put it in storage - used it a week in May and it is now sitting in the dealership with a 2 page list of warranty issues to be addressed, some small and some not. I did a lot of research before we bought the Dutchmen and knew the reputation was not the greatest....but they had what we were looking for.....so after this October we'll be on our own (no more warranty to handle problems) and we'll deal with them.

Sorry but you may be on your own in this case beacuse of the age of the trailer!

Nana & Poppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 12:49 PM   #3

I'm sorry, but in my view thats' a cop out for them. We arent' talking about a dead stereo here, we're talking about delamination of the fiberglass and swelling of the wood underneath. We're talking about stabilizer jacks breaking on the first use because they are so cheap. We're talking about the fill hose for the water tank being installed improperly and leaking water all over the inside of the trailer. We're talking about the bunkends being unusable because its a poor design, there is even talk that they KNEW the bunkends were bad when they were shipping them out. We're talking about the thing being so shoddily built there are more problems creeping up faster than I can address them. As you stated it, its barely 5 years old. These issues are things that shouldn't be present in that time and indicate a product that was just "slapped" together to get it out the door and sold, and after they've made their money and the warranty is up simply saying to the customer, " Oh well, you're on your own!"

Forgive me for being someone with a maybe outdated sense of ethics, but this is an integrity issue.

Because of my moral standards, I feel like I can't even sell the thing if I could, because I wouldn't want to pass off such a piece of junk on to someone else.
KDOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 01:32 PM   #4

Caveat emptor...... Let the buyer beware. As much as I sympathize with you and know exactly what your talking about with integrity and moral standards the manufacturers do not hold such high standards. I have to side with Nana & Poppy. If the unit is aged 5 years even the courts would probably say its normal wear whether or not we agree. When we invest tens of thousands of hard earned dollars we tend to expect a higher quality of product in return but that is not the case with camper companies.
I can feel your frustration and want to lash back at the apathetic companies and sue them to hell but their pockets are a lot deeper than yours are and unless they just didnt want to bad publicity you would probably loose.
My suggestion is to put your case out on public forums etc even to the company that made your unit and encourage others not to buy their products. Campaign to your state and federal legislators for laws protecting consumers from shoddy work forcing the camper manufactures from not standing behind their products.
Its frustrating and we all suffer from the companies. The dont even have to spend money to advertise.
Tanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 07:16 PM   #5

Quebec
Another option might be to take it back to your dealer (if you're still talking to him) and trade for something better with the hope that he would be incented to give you a great deal after all your problems. Also, your problem trailer would then become his problem.
2012 GMC 2500HD Diesel
kevinmiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 08:05 PM   #6

New York
kdog - I'm not saying I don't side with you - I'm stating you may not have a leg to stand on.....

We have a 2013 with a screw coming from the inside out - so I know and feel your pain.......but I'm dealing with it NOW and anything that happens after October will be on my dime!

Nana & Poppy is offline   Reply With Quote