Anybody boondock with their dutchmen? - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > General RV Related Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 05-22-2019, 11:43 PM   #1

Iowa
Anybody boondock with their dutchmen?

Hello everybody new here..

I'm considering a 2010 19' dutchmen because its only 7' wide and I feel that will help with maneuvering up narrow gravel forest service roads in colorado.

But I'm wondering if the dutchmen will survive washed board and rough rocky roads..

Has anybody boondocked with their dutchmen? Or should I continue to search for the 7x16 narrow track enclosed trailer to convert into my toyhauler?

Thanks!

rebar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 05:25 PM   #2

South Carolina
I think you meant the first choice??? I never did understand where the second got started haha

1. Boon Docking. As it relates to going off road. Like a 4X4 going mudding.

2. Boon Docking. As it relates to camping in an RV with no facilities. Like in remote and primitive camping. Some even consider WalMart boon docking.

I have a feeling taking a standard Trailer BOONDOCKING (the real deal) will rattle the C**P out of it without some serious suspension mods. I would also be interested in what the experts say.

Have fun and good luck!
Bill

ArmyVeteran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 07:47 PM   #3

Oregon
Anybody ever see the Top Gear episode where they pick RVs to go “caravaning” ( towing a trailer) with? Of course they are none too gentle doing their towing and go off road quite a bit so by the end of the episode, at least one of the trailers is pretty much just a frame. An exaggeration to be sure but still pretty funny.

Yeah, we go to lots of campgrounds where there are no electrical or water hookups, what most here likely think of as “boondocking”. Sure it can be a bit of a hassle but no big deal.

Taking a rig up onto heavily washed out and rutted forest service roads? No thanks.
Researchhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 08:44 PM   #4

South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Researchhound View Post
Anybody ever see the Top Gear episode where they pick RVs to go “caravaning” ( towing a trailer) with? Of course they are none too gentle doing their towing and go off road quite a bit so by the end of the episode, at least one of the trailers is pretty much just a frame. An exaggeration to be sure but still pretty funny.

Yeah, we go to lots of campgrounds where there are no electrical or water hookups, what most here likely think of as “boondocking”. Sure it can be a bit of a hassle but no big deal.

Taking a rig up onto heavily washed out and rutted forest service roads? No thanks.

Yes, That show is hilarious. British humor! I am awed by the amount of money spent to produce that show!

As an aside. I have done a lot of 4X4 boon docking. Before the advent of GPS and cell phone apps. I can remember on many occasion taking a road in the hills and running out of road. No U-Turns and only backing up for hundreds of feet. Try that with a trailer. No matter what size............YIKES!
Old 05-23-2019, 09:03 PM   #5

Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyVeteran View Post
Yes, That show is hilarious. British humor! I am awed by the amount of money spent to produce that show!

As an aside. I have done a lot of 4X4 boon docking. Before the advent of GPS and cell phone apps. I can remember on many occasion taking a road in the hills and running out of road. No U-Turns and only backing up for hundreds of feet. Try that with a trailer. No matter what size............YIKES!
LOL... what they spend on tires alone probably exceeds the annual budget for some small countries - at least when Clarkson is test driving a car.
Old 05-24-2019, 12:59 PM   #6

Wisconsin
Better undercarriage for rough roads

For short distances at very low speeds and with relatively level road surfaces it would work. For instance, a gravel road leading from paved road to camp site. It will also work for longer stretches of well maintained gravel roads.

Unpaved or even some paved mountain roads are a different story. You need more ground clearance. Bigger wheels help a lot. You need excellent backing and maneuvering skills. The rough roads will shake everything to pieces sooner or latter.
persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 04:37 PM   #7

Tennessee
Just remember that regardless of any tire or suspension upgrades you do, everything sitting above the frame is no stronger than moderately damp cardboard.
Old 05-24-2019, 06:13 PM   #8

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwest450 View Post
Just remember that regardless of any tire or suspension upgrades you do, everything sitting above the frame is no stronger than moderately damp cardboard.
franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 04:18 AM   #9

Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwest450 View Post

Yeah, something about stapled MDF and serious off road that don't mix.

Thanks guys. It's just that I'm really stuck on this no wider than 7' thing. Would the Jayco feather 7 be any stronger?

I like the no-bo 19.1 toyhauler which I'm told is 7' wide, but its longer than I want.

I guess I better keep looking for a narrow track enclosed trailer..
Old 05-25-2019, 11:45 AM   #10

Florida
any "commercial" rv will be built about the same. not really made for off road conditions. you may want to look at one of these instead

https://earthroamer.com/
Old 05-25-2019, 04:00 PM   #11

Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by franktafl View Post
any "commercial" rv will be built about the same. not really made for off road conditions. you may want to look at one of these instead

https://earthroamer.com/

If I was made of money, yes. I guess I should have mentioned my budget is under 20K.
Old 05-25-2019, 05:07 PM   #12

Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebar View Post
If I was made of money, yes. I guess I should have mentioned my budget is under 20K.
Well, good luck. Pretty much everything is going to be entry level for that price point.

That was around what I paid for my 2017 Kodiak and I am under no illusions about how well built it is. Adequate for my needs? Yes. But nothing close to what you need for what you want to do.

A thought might be to find a used cargo van you can gut and outfit. If you can do much of the retro fitting yourself, you may be able to come at around that price and have a pretty nice setup.
Old 05-27-2019, 10:55 PM   #13

Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Researchhound View Post
Well, good luck. Pretty much everything is going to be entry level for that price point.

That was around what I paid for my 2017 Kodiak and I am under no illusions about how well built it is. Adequate for my needs? Yes. But nothing close to what you need for what you want to do.

A thought might be to find a used cargo van you can gut and outfit. If you can do much of the retro fitting yourself, you may be able to come at around that price and have a pretty nice setup.

Well, that's what I sold the featherlite for is why 20k. Id buy this or make a offer if it was my 97 12 valve ram under it. Cash
Old 05-29-2019, 06:23 PM   #14

South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebar View Post
Yeah, something about stapled MDF and serious off road that don't mix.

Thanks guys. It's just that I'm really stuck on this no wider than 7' thing. Would the Jayco feather 7 be any stronger?

I like the no-bo 19.1 toyhauler which I'm told is 7' wide, but its longer than I want.

I guess I better keep looking for a narrow track enclosed trailer..

Good luck in your quest! It will be worth it in the end. I did a lot of 4X4 and tent camping when younger. Minus 20 in Colorado Yikes.

If I was going to do it now. HAD to do it... haha. I would try with a "pop-up". You get all the amenities like sink, shower, fridge, toilet etc. But the lower center of gravity would be a plus. And much lower total weight.

From the interweb:
POPUPS.

When opened, the length is roughly double the box length. Most pop-ups are between 7 feet (2.1 m) and 7 feet 6 inches (2.29 m) in width and between 4 feet 6 inches (1.37 m) and 5 feet (1.5 m) in height when closed.
Old 05-29-2019, 10:41 PM   #15

Arizona
I've been thinking this through as well. Yea, I can put the Denali in 4 wheel drive and drag my Coleman across the desert. But do I want to?

Yes we do. Will I go 4 wheeling? No. Trailer simply isn't made for that. Now the dirt roads in Colorado...some are old railroad beds...are perfect for a slow drive into the wilderness to dry camp. Same here in Arizona. My reasoning is simple. Many of the National Parks are reserved years in advance. But most of them have a dry camping area off in the boonies nearby. We want to tour the national parks. So we will find those dry camping areas, park the trailer and unhitch. Then go enjoy the park each day in the truck. When done, we hitch up, find a dump place and move on to the next park. I'm sure the trailer will handle that. Especially since I've got the extra travel from the MorRyde CRE3000 suspension add on. I have decent road height as well. So we plan to take our time, use the forest roads after checking them out from fellow RVr's and enjoy traveling.

Hope this helps.
People, Places & Things...for over 40 Years!
videoarizona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 11:17 PM   #16

Colorado
Yes I do!

I have. 22ft Kodiak Cub that I Boondock with. Plenty of National Forrest and BLM lands in CO, Utah and Wyoming that are easily driven...just go slow, scout ahead if need be and be willing to turn around if it’s not ideal.
barrieb24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 01:00 AM   #17

Arizona
Hello
I do not know how the 2010 19ft is built but I have a 2017 Kodiak 201QB. I had many issues with the tanks, they are not supported well, not evenly slightly like the tank manufacture recommends (minimum requirement) and actually had the fresh water tank come loose and rest on the axel. Keystone (Dutchman) blamed me for filling it incorrectly. The 201QB has a lined underbelly that is supposed to be heated but I do believe it is really done to hide the shoddy work. I do go out on all sorts of roads (carefully) and enjoy it. I have had to reinforce all tanks supports and upgraded the tires and suspension and it is ok now.
PS be wary of some Pacific Coach Works small 7ft wide trailers as they are even worse than the Dutchman Kodiak I have. I had a Pacific Coach works "Panther" about 20ft, sold it after 3 months.
AETHERIA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 04:20 AM   #18

Arizona
I regularly boondock in my dutchmen. They are pretty sturdy. The only thing is go slow and secure your contents in your trailer and you should be fine.
TCorr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 09:08 AM   #19

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCorr View Post
I regularly boondock in my dutchmen. They are pretty sturdy. The only thing is go slow and secure your contents in your trailer and you should be fine.
anything special anyone should know about your hitch? I understand you can't go off road with an anti sway or a load balancing hitch.
Old 06-03-2019, 05:29 AM   #20

Arizona
Yes, as soon as I get off of the highway, I remove the anti sway bar as well as the weight distribution bars. It’s much easier to make sharp turns and backing into camp spots.

TCorr is offline   Reply With Quote