Another Lesson Learned - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > General RV Related Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 11-14-2015, 11:27 AM   #1

Illinois
Another Lesson Learned

Well, Week Two of our wintering in Florida and another expensive lesson learned. The main awning on our 3990 collapsed on one side, bending the arms and putting a 2' scratch into the fiberglass and full paint. Insurance claim? What do you figure on our of pocket versus raise in rates? With the lousy set-up with the awning over the slide, you can only tilt one side one adjustment hole otherwise it hits the door. I thought that was enough, along with the supposed auto rain dump system. The back awning and deck, which have a good tilt, were fine. Supposed to get windy today. Waiting for 8:00 to call a repairman out to help me take it down before it gets worse. Kinda bummed. Still to early to drink.

2005 Harley Ultra Classic w/too many miles
lcv800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 12:24 PM   #2
Site Team

North Carolina
No clue on the cost.... however it I ALWAYS 5 o'clock somewhere!

Aaron

wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 04:10 PM   #3

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post
No clue on the cost.... however it I ALWAYS 5 o'clock somewhere!

Aaron
I'll drink to that.

Given that we all own holes in the road we pour money in, it's going to cost more than it should.

My camper policy has an accident forgiveness clause, so that always makes me think about when to pull the trigger on a claim.

One trip I managed to put a nice 5' slit through three layers of the main awning. Watching clearance to the gas meter and missed the extended eve. I never would have guessed an aluminum faschia would have been able to cut through three layers of awning.

Same trip made the turn to head home, we were in a nice campground that didn't have any sewer hook ups.

Dumped the tanks at the dump station, packed up to leave, jogged when it should have been that zag thing. Damn tree jumped out and bit my camper, amazingly it was only 9' of gutter, city water connection that stuck out vs being recessed, the scare light lens and knocked the cover of the sat connector.

In both cases the parts cost less than half of my deductible, labor?, but it wouldn't have been worth using up my freebee.

In today's world it seems like it's cheaper to replace the whole thing vs repairing. I won't go there.
hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 04:43 PM   #4

Illinois
Awning is rolled up after jury rigging the motor back on the bent arm. Looks like half an Eclipse arm set from Carefree. Worry about the body work later. I've got a little hand held remote that pulls in the slide, awning, and works the lights. Quit working. Maybe battery. It looks like it should have come with a first generation mobile phone charger (which it didn't) Before I take it apart, did anyone else's come with a charger and if so, would an old mobile phone charger work (if I can find one?).
Old 11-14-2015, 06:06 PM   #5

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by lcv800 View Post
Awning is rolled up after jury rigging the motor back on the bent arm. Looks like half an Eclipse arm set from Carefree. Worry about the body work later. I've got a little hand held remote that pulls in the slide, awning, and works the lights. Quit working. Maybe battery. It looks like it should have come with a first generation mobile phone charger (which it didn't) Before I take it apart, did anyone else's come with a charger and if so, would an old mobile phone charger work (if I can find one?).
First lets start with the required voltage/amps required to provide the charge. Every phone has it's own unique requirements for volts/amps or milliamps to charge the OEM battery. Check the back of your remote, it should have that listed.

Now you need to find a charger that has the volt/amp requirement met, then you need to have the correct plug to fit the devices receptacle.

Many of the electronics sold today are using a USB cable to charge the device. I this is the case with your remote you many be able use a usb cable you already have. If not most big box electonics stores have universal chargers that can have the a swithable output voltage and a variety of plug adapters.
Old 11-14-2015, 08:30 PM   #6

Illinois
Thanks. I'll check first. Just wondering if other units came with a charger.
Rusty
Old 11-14-2015, 11:17 PM   #7

Florida
Mine did. And if I remember a post from a few months back correctly, the person couldn't get a replacement battery for the remote and a new remote was slightly expensive.

I would tell you the rating on my charger but it stays in the repair shop along with the camper.... day 300+ and only 20 or so days left on warranty....sorry had to vent.
The problem solver: 2017 Tiffin Breeze 32BR
Thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 01:39 AM   #8

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thom View Post
Mine did. And if I remember a post from a few months back correctly, the person couldn't get a replacement battery for the remote and a new remote was slightly expensive.

I would tell you the rating on my charger but it stays in the repair shop along with the camper.... day 300+ and only 20 or so days left on warranty....sorry had to vent.
Thom,

Is the battery actually replaceable? Just wondering because I have a few thins that basicaly are done for once the battery dies and if you open them up to try to change the battery it self destructs.

If the battery can be replaced, there is an online battery store that can't be found elsewhere. I can't find the link, I thought I had it on my real computer, I'll see if I can find it for you.
Old 11-15-2015, 01:54 AM   #9

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by hddecker View Post
Thom,

Is the battery actually replaceable? Just wondering because I have a few thins that basicaly are done for once the battery dies and if you open them up to try to change the battery it self destructs.

If the battery can be replaced, there is an online battery store that can't be found elsewhere. I can't find the link, I thought I had it on my real computer, I'll see if I can find it for you.
I rememebered that I got it from my son, here's the link.

Better Selection On NiMH Rechargeable Batteries & Battery Chargers

You can get just about any battery that you need to replace in electronics.
Old 11-15-2015, 02:14 AM   #10

New Jersey
Quote:
yes mine came with a charger
Real Hummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 04:17 PM   #11

Nevada
Rusty, sorry to hear about your awning, but I remember, you have Full Paint, Its a big cost to repaint that 2 feet, and if its where there are more then one color, that's when it will cost, if its only the one color, then the cost will be half. If the damage, isn't to bad, can you use touch up paint?? And a little shot would help...LOL
2019 GMC 3500HD 4X4 CC DRW LB Bags Husky 26K Hitch Can Am Commander 1000 ATV
RVNevada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 10:01 AM   #12

Illinois
Of course it went across all three colors. I'm going to see if I can find some type of mobile body guy to at least touch it up a bit until I get home. The only redeeming factor is the fact the scratch is 10' off the ground so it doesn't jump out at you. Of course I see it every time I walk outside.
Rusty
Old 11-16-2015, 02:25 PM   #13

Texas
Quote:
would an old mobile phone charger work (if I can find one?).
I remember reading on another forum that the LCI touchscreen remote uses the same charger as an android phone???

Mike & Helen
2014 Voltage 3895 EPIC III
2013 Ford F350 CC DRW FX4
HornedToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 05:21 PM   #14

Illinois
The boss found the charger, however the keypad only works sporadically so it's on the punch list for the final warranty work come spring. Thanks everyone for the input.
Rusty
Old 11-16-2015, 08:46 PM   #15
Site Team

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by HornedToad View Post
I remember reading on another forum that the LCI touchscreen remote uses the same charger as an android phone???
Depends on the brand... and the age.

A lot of them were mini usb, a lot of the newer ones are micro usb. Samsung ran an odd charger plug for several years before switching to the usb standard.

Aaron
Old 11-16-2015, 10:47 PM   #16

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post
Depends on the brand... and the age.

A lot of them were mini usb, a lot of the newer ones are micro usb. Samsung ran an odd charger plug for several years before switching to the usb standard.

Aaron
The LCI remote must be a mini usb. I found a 3+ year old AT&T andriod phone to compare and the plug was the same shape as the LCI remote but was smaller... a micro usb???

Mike & Helen
2014 Voltage 3895 EPIC III
2013 Ford F350 CC DRW FX4
HornedToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 11:51 PM   #17
Site Team

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by HornedToad View Post
The LCI remote must be a mini usb. I found a 3+ year old AT&T andriod phone to compare and the plug was the same shape as the LCI remote but was smaller... a micro usb???
That sounds like it. So the LCI uses the mini-usb. I have a mix of electronic stuff that use both. I just use a single charger base with the flat USB end aka "A", then swap cords as needed. FWIW my bride is hanging out in the apple orchard which is a whole 'nother animal.

Aaron
Old 11-17-2015, 03:28 PM   #18

Colorado
If your remote looks like this there is no battery access. Replacement Touchscreen Remote w/ Charger for Lippert Ground Control 3.0 Electric Leveling System Lippert Components Accessories and Parts LC358601
I had a Apple dealer take mine apart. Nothing serviceable inside.
etrailer also sells the charger if you are sure that is your problem.
Replacement Charger for Lippert Ground Control 3.0 Touchscreen Remote Lippert Components Accessories and Parts LC267401
4 grandkids, 1 Yellow Lab, 1 Kubota Tractor
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 08:54 PM   #19

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomW View Post
If your remote looks like this there is no battery access. Replacement Touchscreen Remote w/ Charger for Lippert Ground Control 3.0 Electric Leveling System Lippert Components Accessories and Parts LC358601
I had a Apple dealer take mine apart. Nothing serviceable inside.
etrailer also sells the charger if you are sure that is your problem.
Replacement Charger for Lippert Ground Control 3.0 Touchscreen Remote Lippert Components Accessories and Parts LC267401
Yep, that's the way of the world now, make nothing that can be easily and cheaply repaired, just dump it in the landfill and buy a new one.

The OEMs want to try to force you to come back to them for replacements, but there are other options out there.

Anyone have a Logitech remote? I have seen a few strange things showing up on their web site when I go to update remote to controll new electronics. It could very well be something they have already done or may be interested in doing.

It's great to be able to do it ALL with one remote.
Old 11-18-2015, 09:45 AM   #20

Illinois
Yup TomW, that's mine. Now that I found the charger, the touch screen works sporadically at best. At $229, it's warranty time.
Rusty