Another Lesson Learned - Page 2 - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > General RV Related Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 12-01-2015, 03:29 PM   #21

Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by lcv800 View Post
Well, Week Two of our wintering in Florida and another expensive lesson learned. The main awning on our 3990 collapsed on one side, bending the arms and putting a 2' scratch into the fiberglass and full paint. Insurance claim? What do you figure on our of pocket versus raise in rates? With the lousy set-up with the awning over the slide, you can only tilt one side one adjustment hole otherwise it hits the door. I thought that was enough, along with the supposed auto rain dump system. The back awning and deck, which have a good tilt, were fine. Supposed to get windy today. Waiting for 8:00 to call a repairman out to help me take it down before it gets worse. Kinda bummed. Still to early to drink.
Well, new arm and motor are installed on the main awning. Still waiting on the body work to fix the scratches as well as the bill for the awning arm. With the refrigerator slide out under the main awning, there is no way to tilt the awning down like there is on the garage awning. I'm going to try to put some "noodles" or Nerf balls on top of the fridge slide and topper to keep the main awning from rubbing. Hopefully that way I can tilt it down so it is not so prone to blowing up. Wondering if it's safe to tie these awning down with a strap and spring? Otherwise 10 mph and in they come.
Rusty

2005 Harley Ultra Classic w/too many miles
lcv800 is offline   Reply With Quote