Adding a skylight? Or is it a recipe for disaster? - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > General RV Related Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 10-15-2014, 03:32 PM   #1

Ontario
Adding a skylight? Or is it a recipe for disaster?

Hi Guys

We have a Aerolite 282DBHS
We love the TT but it's a wee bit too dark for our liking in the body of the coach. I usually end up throwing on the lights mid-day. When we were TT shopping, we did see a Jayco White Hawk that had a nice skylight above the kitchen area. Great feature IMO but the TT lacked in so many other areas for our use anyways.

Do you think we could do this on our own or do you think we should pay a professional? The thought of cutting a huge hole in the roof isn't giving me a warm and fuzzy feeling! LOL

I want to place the skylight over the kitchen area (near microwave) I know there will be times that it might be too bright so I thought we could install a simple roller (black out) blind on the ceiling and close up the skylight when required.

Lastly, what is a good brand of skylight? I don't mind spending a few bucks more to ensure I get no leaks down the line.

Thoughts?

WASABI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 06:05 PM   #2

Oklahoma
Good quality curbed skylights are usually trouble free concerning leaks. The leaks come from poor installation.

Whether you, as in you, can install it is left to your skill level and confidence. A professional might be the way to go in this case.

If you choose a skylight from an RV dealer or store you can be assured there will be replacement parts along your travels. Not necessarily the best sky light found in the RV market but there is the parts availability which is a plus.

Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 07:44 PM   #3

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundancer 87 View Post
Good quality curbed skylights are usually trouble free concerning leaks. The leaks come from poor installation.

Whether you, as in you, can install it is left to your skill level and confidence. A professional might be the way to go in this case.

If you choose a skylight from an RV dealer or store you can be assured there will be replacement parts along your travels. Not necessarily the best sky light found in the RV market but there is the parts availability which is a plus.
sounds logical

Another question, adding a skylight...do you think I will be losing a lot more heat or cooling?
Old 10-15-2014, 08:13 PM   #4

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by WASABI View Post
sounds logical

Another question, adding a skylight...do you think I will be losing a lot more heat or cooling?
I don't think so as long as the one that's installed has a inner dome. That way you will have a air gap between the inner & outer skylight.
2012 F-350 6.7l CC 4X4, Sold 10/10/17
DesertRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 08:18 PM   #5

Oklahoma
You can get insulated sky lights in the curbed style. The insulated type is an added cover that creates an air space. That's what I have in the shower but it still allows for heat gain.

As for heat gain, you can expect to get some just like the light in the shower, if you have one. As for losing heat, I don't think 144 square inches will make that much difference in the over all insulation of the roof.

If you can fit a black out curtain that certainly will help.
Old 10-15-2014, 09:07 PM   #6
Site Team

North Carolina
The absolute best on the market are the Maxim for Airstreams. You will may have to modify the curb depending on the curve in your roof. But you WILL NOT find a better skylight for an RV.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 09:12 PM   #7

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post
The absolute best on the market are the Maxim for Airstreams. You will may have to modify the curb depending on the curve in your roof. But you WILL NOT find a better skylight for an RV.

Aaron
Thanks Aaron!!
Old 10-15-2014, 09:22 PM   #8

Arizona
Choose your location carefully, look for A/C ducts, electrical, etc.
azdryheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 10:15 PM   #9

Ontario
Now to find out the price Aaron! I emailed them, I hope they will ship to Canada or have a distributor here. Looks like an amazing skylight, just hope the price isn't crazy
Old 10-16-2014, 02:09 AM   #10

Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundancer 87 View Post
You can get insulated sky lights in the curbed style. The insulated type is an added cover that creates an air space. That's what I have in the shower but it still allows for heat gain.

As for heat gain, you can expect to get some just like the light in the shower, if you have one. As for losing heat, I don't think 144 square inches will make that much difference in the over all insulation of the roof.

If you can fit a black out curtain that certainly will help.
I bet your local Walmart has the Camco skylight insulator that you could stuff up into the skylight to reduce heat transfer. These work really well to keep the Arizona sun from turning the RV into a furnace in Summer. It's basically a thick foam pad with a lambskin-like covering that fits tightly inside the skylight.
Old 10-16-2014, 02:12 AM   #11

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by azdryheat View Post
Choose your location carefully, look for A/C ducts, electrical, etc.
Another worry. Should I contact keystone and ask for some kind of blueprints they might have for my TT?
Old 10-16-2014, 02:23 AM   #12

Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Occupant5143 View Post
I bet your local Walmart has the Camco skylight insulator that you could stuff up into the skylight to reduce heat transfer. These work really well to keep the Arizona sun from turning the RV into a furnace in Summer. It's basically a thick foam pad with a lambskin-like covering that fits tightly inside the skylight.
They may have but after living in Arizona and Mexico for some 40 plus years a little sun heat is acceptable. Besides, I don't spend that much time in the shower anyway.
Old 10-16-2014, 09:33 AM   #13
Site Team

North Carolina
Quote:
Another worry. Should I contact keystone and ask for some kind of blueprints they might have for my TT?
Good luck with THAT!

We don't think they actually have any, they just put parts together.

I don't know anyone that has gotten any kind of blueprints, drawings or schematics from Keystone/Dutchmen... including the service departments at the local dealers. I asked a couple of different places and it seems that the repair guys just go on what they know and can figure out as they go.

Two biggest things to watch out for are where your framing members are and where your electrical lines are, both 12v and 120v.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 04:10 PM   #14

Montana
Coming from our old TT that was too dark inside even during full daylight to our current one with a skylight that provides excellent daytime lighting, I can understand the interest in a project like this. Also having undertaken my own project that involved cutting a big hole in a brand new TT roof, I can understand the squeamishness!

So how about this alternative? Convert your interior lights to bright LED panels which can be purchased cheaply from ebay. Then you can use your lights in the daytime with very little battery penalty.

And when I decided to cut a hole in my TT roof to install a bathroom fan, Dutchmen provided me a jpeg of the roof schematic that confirmed that there was a hole already framed-in where the vent/fan would have been installed. I just needed to to expose it.
Old 10-21-2014, 11:20 PM   #15

Delaware
I tried to get some sort of schematic for my 282 several times (before and after Keystone took over customer service). They won't provide any information.

As far as ducts, there is not a duct on the stove side of the ceiling. I do not know where they ran the wires.

I also agree that they just throw these things together. I have seen so many differences in 2014 models and now 2015 models it would make your head spin. I have been in 2015s that had every counter as solid surface, yet another 2015 was still only the kitchen like it was in 2014. Then others with the bathroom door reversed, hooks, and outlets in different locations, the list goes on and on.

There is simply NO consistency. At least with the 282.

I wish you the best with the project, I would like to do the same to get rid of the sagging ceiling and add more natural light at the same time.

2014 Aerolite 282DBHS

myaeroliterv.com
prm99v6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 10:40 PM   #16

Washington
I like the light that comes from the skylight in our 2014 Komfort Trailblazer, but I wish it were a vent instead. The trailer is very stuffy with only a vent in the head (I don't count the one over the stove).
Peter Goddu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 01:38 AM   #17

Ontario
Installed and complete
LOVE the additional light even on a rainy grey day when I would be flipping on ALL the LEDs to see. Dealership was able to get the drawing from Keystone and also make me a copy if anyone wants a copy (roof only)

It was quite expensive though. I did opt for a clear skylight which is aftermarket and a few bucks more. (stock is the frosted shower skylight) All in taxes etc... $800.00

Besides the slide topper, have to say that was one of my favourite upgrades.
Old 11-10-2014, 02:20 AM   #18

South Carolina
Hey, Hey Wasabi! Great job, great news! Enjoy, and send us a pic!
MartyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 03:23 AM   #19

Delaware
Nice! Now lets see the pics

2014 Aerolite 282DBHS

myaeroliterv.com
prm99v6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 02:27 PM   #20

Oklahoma
Quote:
Installed and complete
LOVE the additional light even on a rainy grey day when I would be flipping on ALL the LEDs to see. Dealership was able to get the drawing from Keystone and also make me a copy if anyone wants a copy (roof only)

It was quite expensive though. I did opt for a clear skylight which is aftermarket and a few bucks more. (stock is the frosted shower skylight) All in taxes etc... $800.00

Besides the slide topper, have to say that was one of my favourite upgrades.
800 bucks and you installed it yourself?