AC Keeps Popping Generator Fuse - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > General RV Related Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 06-22-2021, 03:19 PM   #1

New Mexico
AC Keeps Popping Generator Fuse

I recently purchased a Kodiak Cub 185MB, and I also purchased a generator, for when we go Boondocking, and the issue I have is, when I have the generator going, and I turn on the AC, after a few minutes the 20amp fuse pops on the generator. I have a Predator 4000 generator, which has 3200 running watts, which should be more than enough to run the AC .. but as a newbie, I don't know what I should do, should a get a new adaptor?

fhendrick64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 05:17 PM   #2

Florida
I have run my voltage on one of our preditor 3500 home generators with no issue running one a/c Just to try it out again no issues ran great. No start or run issues. you shouldn’t need a hard start capacitor to run it on that size generator Unless your capacitor is already failing. On our other rv (older) to run AC off a different Generator we first had to put it on fan then to a/c. All our best central fla

Ovalvw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 09:11 PM   #3

Wisconsin
A 20 amp circuit breaker is 20 X 120 = 2400 watts. This is more than enough to run an RV A/C.

You are probably running something else that is high current and turns "on" and "off" automatically. An electric water heater does that. An electric coffee maker could do that.

Switch the water heater circuit breaker "off". See if the A/C works better.

You may wish to read the generator operators manual and see if you are using the generator correctly. 3600 watts should be enough to run both A/C and water heater. However, a 20 amp breaker says you only have 2400 watts.

I wish you good luck and happy trails ahead!
persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 09:29 PM   #4

Wisconsin
So, I looked at a U tube video. Your generator is a 240 volt 13 amp maximum type of generator. It has a 4 pin 240 volt connector as well as two separated 13 amp circuits.

This means you have 2 120 volt 13 amp circuits. You cannot combine the two circuits because combined they are 240 volts.

13 amps is only enough to run the A/C and nothing else. You can run something else on the second 13 amp circuit, but you cannot combine them in the same 120 volt circuit.

This generator is designed to work with a 50 amp RV 240 volt power system. You have a 30 amp 120 RV power system.

If you can still return the generator, I recommend you do that. Get a 120 volt generator instead.

I wish you good luck and happy trails ahead.
persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2021, 11:24 PM   #5

Illinois
Install a soft start or EZ start on the AC. The Locked Rotor amps are too much for your generator to handle. A soft start slowly ramps up the compressor motor, drawing far fewer amps. With one, you can run it on a 15 amp connection.
acdii is offline   Reply With Quote