AAA or Good Sam or??? - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-30-2019, 02:17 AM   #1

South Carolina
AAA or Good Sam or???

We are getting ready for a 2 week plus trip in May. I thought I would check with AAA on what is covered when I tow our TT.

First they said it would be an extra $40 on top of $120 for "plus" membership for my wife and I. This would give us RV Plus Or some such stuff.

My next question was:
What if I break an axle or two and my trailer can no longer be towed normally? What will AAA do for me.

Answer: "they will do the best they can.......they cannot guarantee that our trailer will get towed/flat bed by AAA to a repair shop" WTFO!

So my question. What does everyone else have or use for emergency services??

Thanks
Bill

ArmyVeteran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 10:30 AM   #2

Florida
I have AAA because I have had it forever (when I worked it came in really handy since I traveled) ... But, the RV is not covered-truck is. When I had one of the china bombs give up, AAA called the nearest station and got someone to come out and I had to pay 20 bucks. I also have roadside from my american express card and my insurance through farm bureau (which I have never used). I'm pretty sure AAA would not be able to have someone that could help you out in case you broke an axle. I'm going to be interested to hear what everyone else says.

franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 11:56 AM   #3

Massachusetts
My dad has had Coachnet for 25 yrs .. he is 84 .. sold 5'er a few yrs back but still has the coverage .. they were always great he broke down in Virginia and they towed the truck and camper to the Chevy dealer .. when he got there the dealer was already waiting and took the truck in right away .
they will send what ever tow vehicles are needed to get the job done ..
don't quote me but $175 a year ...all vehicles in the household including Motorcycles and campers..
P.S. he hit a pot-hole and took out a rim in his car last week on wonderful Massachusetts roads... they were there with in 45 min to change tire ...
Mongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 12:09 PM   #4

Florida
We got a good Sam when we got our voltage toy hauler we had to use it at Disney in Orlando Fort wilderness when we had break issues good Sam was fantastic to deal with We set up an appointment time for them to pick it up so we could enjoy ft wilderness ( have to make the best of the situation ) they sent heavy heavy tow out there to take it to our repair facility Very nice people to deal with on the phone I let the campground know what was going on I have a tow picked it up no issues Bill would’ve been $690 we paid nothing.my family have AAA Which I won’t give up for the cars but we will continue our good Sam with our fifth wheel
Ovalvw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 04:05 PM   #5

South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovalvw View Post
We got a good Sam when we got our voltage toy hauler we had to use it at Disney in Orlando Fort wilderness when we had break issues good Sam was fantastic to deal with We set up an appointment time for them to pick it up so we could enjoy ft wilderness ( have to make the best of the situation ) they sent heavy heavy tow out there to take it to our repair facility Very nice people to deal with on the phone I let the campground know what was going on I have a tow picked it up no issues Bill would’ve been $690 we paid nothing.my family have AAA Which I won’t give up for the cars but we will continue our good Sam with our fifth wheel

That is good to hear. I have read way too many horror stories about Good Sam. So under consideration.
Thanks
Bill
Old 03-30-2019, 04:06 PM   #6

South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongo View Post
My dad has had Coachnet for 25 yrs .. he is 84 .. sold 5'er a few yrs back but still has the coverage .. they were always great he broke down in Virginia and they towed the truck and camper to the Chevy dealer .. when he got there the dealer was already waiting and took the truck in right away .
they will send what ever tow vehicles are needed to get the job done ..
don't quote me but $175 a year ...all vehicles in the household including Motorcycles and campers..
P.S. he hit a pot-hole and took out a rim in his car last week on wonderful Massachusetts roads... they were there with in 45 min to change tire ...

Have not heard about Coachnet. Will check them out.
Thanks
Bill
Old 03-30-2019, 04:08 PM   #7

South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by franktafl View Post
I'm going to be interested to hear what everyone else says.

Yes, be interesting to see what the Forum thinks about this.
Old 03-30-2019, 08:56 PM   #8

Arizona
I've been relying on AAA RV Plus for about 4 years now. I've had flat tires caused by rubber valve stems failing (another story) and they've been great at changing the tires for me and recommending local tire shops to get repairs.
While driving in the mountains of Colorado I had a bearing failure that damaged the axle (yet another story). Since the wheel was coming off the hub the situation required a special low-boy tow that required us to stay overnight at a local hotel till one could be acquired. The next day the tow service loaded up our trailer on the low-boy and hauled it 20 miles to the repair shop that AAA identified. That shop looked pretty sketchy so they suggested an auto-repair shop that did trailer repairs and we took it there. It took them a month to get a new axle from LCI and replace it though they did a good job on the repair.
Based on my Colorado experience I got the impression that AAA doesn't see a lot of RV related calls for help but overall I am happy with AAA.
Of course I have heard the horror stories about AAA but I guess I've been lucky.
Old 03-30-2019, 09:00 PM   #9

South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Occupant5143 View Post
I've been relying on AAA RV Plus for about 4 years now. I've had flat tires caused by rubber valve stems failing (another story) and they've been great at changing the tires for me and recommending local tire shops to get repairs.
While driving in the mountains of Colorado I had a bearing failure that damaged the axle (yet another story). Since the wheel was coming off the hub the situation required a special low-boy tow that required us to stay overnight at a local hotel till one could be acquired. The next day the tow service loaded up our trailer on the low-boy and hauled it 20 miles to the repair shop that AAA identified. That shop looked pretty sketchy so they suggested an auto-repair shop that did trailer repairs and we took it there. It took them a month to get a new axle from LCI and replace it though they did a good job on the repair.
Based on my Colorado experience I got the impression that AAA doesn't see a lot of RV related calls for help but overall I am happy with AAA.
Of course I have heard the horror stories about AAA but I guess I've been lucky.

Thanks for that info.

Any idea why it took so long to get an axle??

Did you happen to get any pictures of the "low boy" tow rig?? Interesting to see that.

Bill
Old 03-30-2019, 09:18 PM   #10

Arizona
I think the repair shop originally planned on replacing the axle with one of the more common brands but then realized that LCI specs were not all that common so they had to go with the expensive LCI axle after all. LCI then probably had to do a custom job to meet the specs of the orignal axle which probably involved getting the job in the schedule queue.
Here's the photo (if I'm lucky).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	low boy trailer.jpg
Views:	321
Size:	56.4 KB
ID:	5334  
Old 03-30-2019, 09:20 PM   #11

Arizona
Looks like the photo uploaded OK. In case you are wondering, I took this photo before the driver strapped everything down for the ride.
Old 03-31-2019, 12:24 AM   #12

Wyoming
We use Good Sam. We've used it a couple times when my wife locked her keys in the car. Smooth and efficient, no complaints. I like it because they cover both my wife and I at no extra charge as well as all our other vehicles, not just the RV.
Even with the US/CAD exchange rate it works out cheaper than our BCAA (similar to the American AAA) which only covers the member. Spouses require an associate membership to be covered.
Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 12:33 AM   #13

South Carolina
Quote:
I think the repair shop originally planned on replacing the axle with one of the more common brands but then realized that LCI specs were not all that common so they had to go with the expensive LCI axle after all. LCI then probably had to do a custom job to meet the specs of the orignal axle which probably involved getting the job in the schedule queue.
Here's the photo (if I'm lucky).
Thanks for the follow up. Interesting for sure.

Wow, that has got to be an expensive tow! Not to be negative but AAA's MO lately is cheap cheap. I will make some MORE calls to AAA.

THANKS AGAIN!

SAFE TRAVELS!
Old 03-31-2019, 12:34 AM   #14

South Carolina
Quote:
Looks like the photo uploaded OK. In case you are wondering, I took this photo before the driver strapped everything down for the ride.
Thanks!
Old 03-31-2019, 05:15 AM   #15

Saskatchewan
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyVeteran View Post
We are getting ready for a 2 week plus trip in May. I thought I would check with AAA on what is covered when I tow our TT.

First they said it would be an extra $40 on top of $120 for "plus" membership for my wife and I. This would give us RV Plus Or some such stuff.

My next question was:
What if I break an axle or two and my trailer can no longer be towed normally? What will AAA do for me.

Answer: "they will do the best they can.......they cannot guarantee that our trailer will get towed/flat bed by AAA to a repair shop" WTFO!

So my question. What does everyone else have or use for emergency services??

Thanks
Bill
Don't get Good Sam, I blew my cummins motor and they refused to take me to dodge dealer, just to local farm service center, left me on the highway at -25 in the winter.. I now have CAA RV which is suppose to haul truck & trailer to dealer...
23satd5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 02:52 PM   #16

South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by 23satd5 View Post
Don't get Good Sam, I blew my cummins motor and they refused to take me to dodge dealer, just to local farm service center, left me on the highway at -25 in the winter.. I now have CAA RV which is suppose to haul truck & trailer to dealer...
Wow! That sucks. What was there excuse?? What was the difference in distance between the 2 locations?

I will check out CAA RV.

Thanks
Have fun.
Bill
Old 03-31-2019, 05:01 PM   #17
Site Team

North Carolina
Something substantial like a broken axle may be above and beyond what most roadside services can handle. Buddy broke an axle on his Cougar fifth wheel, no way to tow it in the condition it was in. No joy from GS either. It was going to take a special oversized low boy trailer to move it. We went down with a bunch of stuff and cut the old damaged axle out of the way so we could limp the trailer to the next exit. Ordered a new axle and replaced it in the parking lot of the local strip mall.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 06:12 PM   #18

South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post
Something substantial like a broken axle may be above and beyond what most roadside services can handle. Buddy broke an axle on his Cougar fifth wheel, no way to tow it in the condition it was in. No joy from GS either. It was going to take a special oversized low boy trailer to move it. We went down with a bunch of stuff and cut the old damaged axle out of the way so we could limp the trailer to the next exit. Ordered a new axle and replaced it in the parking lot of the local strip mall.

Aaron

Now that is what you call DIY!
Good job!
Old 03-31-2019, 06:55 PM   #19

Florida
my hero!
franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 05:47 PM   #20

Illinois
I have Geico, but have not had to use it...yet. Supposed to cover tows, flats, etc.

acdii is offline   Reply With Quote