Aaa - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-10-2021, 12:10 AM   #1

Kentucky
Aaa

Sorry if I have posted in the wrong location. I didn't see a forum to discuss this but It is entirely possibly I've had a senior moment. I'm new to the site and green as green can be to RV'ing. I've just purchased my first one a 29' Thor Dutchman on a Ford E350.
I've carried AAA for many years on my family cars and have the premium right for the car. I just upgraded my plan to Premium plus RV. My plan cost only went up 3 or 4 bucks a month. Am I missing something. That cost seems low to me (although I'd never tell them that). I upgraded online on their site. When I tried to call customer service the wait time was in excess of 25 minutes so I just thought I would ask you all if this sounds right. I appreciate all the help and the friendly responses I've received here. I'm as green as green can be but if I can ever help out with anything please let me know. I appreciate you all. Peace, Jim

jmack108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2021, 11:58 AM   #2

Florida
I have the AAA RV program and they have come to the rescue more than once-mostly for flat tires and pulling me out of the mud in rural Georgia. For the number of times. I have used it, worth it. I have not been radical with it and compared to other plans, it mostly is good for the minor items..

franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2021, 12:43 PM   #3

Kentucky
Thank you Sir. Yes I loved having it with my car. When you added it to you car's membership was the price only a few dollars more? That's what I questioning. It seems low to me. That said, I'm delighted with it if that is the case. I was expecting to pay more. Thank you and have a great day., Jim
Old 07-10-2021, 02:05 PM   #4

Florida
with the RV-228/year. More than just a few dollars but maybe they pro-rated you for your membership term. Still, only provides a minimal amount of help. tires, locksmith, tow up to 100 miles and frees you if you are stuck. Which I have used all of the above!
franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2021, 06:48 PM   #5

Kentucky
Thank you Sir. I appreciate you. I'm going to call Monday when I can hopefully get through to customer service. I want to make sure I have the right coverage. Mine comes out to somewhere around 150 a year. You could be right about the prorated thing. I've had it a lot of years on the car but have yet to use it. Been lucky I guess. Hopefully that holds true with the RV. Thanks again and Happy Trails, Jim
Old 07-14-2021, 02:32 AM   #6

Ontario
I used my AAA premium RV coverage a few years back to tow my 5th wheel 100 kms home when I had a break down on my truck, the tow of course was free thanks to AAA, but would have cost me $986 if I had to pay out of pocket. The saving from the tow alone, paid for the next 5 years of AAA, I'll never be without it. Costs me about $230 a year, and worth every penny.

2014 Ram 3500 Laramie 4X4 CTD
2011 Dutchmen Denali 262 RLX
drogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 09:46 PM   #7

Alabama
Wink Aaa

When I start traveling in my first 5th wheel I went to AAA for roadside coverage.
It worked well and I really used it quite often when I had problems with my tow vehicle. I upgraded from a 29 ft. to a 35 ft. and again kept my AAA coverage.
Then on a Saturday in March 2019 I had a double blowout on drivers side I-65 mile marker 47 in AL. Repeated calls to AAA went unanswered. When I finally did get ahold of someone they told us they could find no one to service us. Spent 5 hours in the rain. Did a phone search and found a tire place in Mobile that could service us. The total cost was nearly $500 which AAA would not cover. I have been with good Sam's Roadside ever since.
Livin the Life
OldOneTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 10:02 PM   #8

Wyoming
I have no direct experience with AAA for my RV… but, I do know that not all states offer the expanded RV-motorsport plans. I don’t remember which state I was being transferred to when I tried to renew a plan I had long ago, but I do remember it wasn’t offered / available where I ended up.

They told me that my plan would be honored for all my “toys”, regardless of where I was, until the plan expired… but after that, I could only renew for my car & truck only. Additionally, they informed me that, if I did need service for one of my toys within in the state before it expired… that help would be provided to the extent that they could find one of their licensed shops who also handled recreational motorsport vehicles.

In other words… since that state didn’t usually handle calls for those vehicles, they had no motorsport specialty shops in their contracted providers’ list to call.

From that time on… I’ve always included the roadside assistance option rider in my regular insurance on the vehicles themselves. I happen to be with Progressive now… and it only costs me an additional $40 - $50/year.
2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
ATCguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 10:16 PM   #9

Alabama
I had Alabama AAA.
Livin the Life
OldOneTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 11:49 PM   #10

Oregon
To ATCGuy. AAA vs Progressive

I've had AAA add on for the tow trailers for 20 some years, then, last fall (2020) I switched up on all my insurance and added the Progressive plan. So now I have both, and I've had a task to compare the two in greater detail, and then decide if I want to continue with AAA. In these 20 years, I never have had an occasion to use AAA for the tow trailer. Perhaps you, or others, might enlighten me with more information. Thanks.

Randy is offline   Reply With Quote