255bhsl kodiak express not a good buy - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > General RV Related Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 07-30-2013, 01:36 PM   #1

Pennsylvania
255bhsl kodiak express not a good buy

Just joined the forum, because I wanted to see other peoples experience with the same camper as mine. Didn't see much so I figured I woudl give my experience and see what people think. One think I will say is that I must not have as much patience as other people with inferior quality and workmanship. It is too much to ask when you pay $20k + for a new camper that it be in excellent condition? Please note that we had a 2000 dutchmen 30bhs that we loved, but we wanted to get something shorted and lighter. But we are very very very disappointed by this new camper.

We bought the camper in February 2013. The tarnsition from the de4aler was abosultely terrisble, but that is another story. Suffice it to say, be careful when dealing tieh a certain RV dealer in Elwood city PA.

Anyways, our first experience was okay, a nice 3 day weekend, no issues.

The second trip however was terrible. We went where have gone a number of times to a KOA in Waves North Carolina. We have taken a popup and the aforementioned dutchmen there. Never had any issues.

The first issue was the electric awning, which I will never ever get again. We tried to put it out, yes it is breezy at the beach, it immediately collasped, even thought the salesman said we would be fine. So we could not use the awnign the entire time we were there.

Problem 2, my wife lifts up the bed to get sheets and such for our son to sleep, and there were soaking wet. we checked the outside compartment, wet there as well. Well we got that cleanup, though a number of items were stained beacuse ogf the water and had to be thrown away.

Problem 3 one day, after a hard rain, we were headed to the beach, when my wife yelled and had me go into the camper, where water was running down from the middle of the slideout, now we spent the extra money for an awnign over the slide out, so how do this water get it? btw this leak occurred about 4 hours after the rain.

I shoudl not that we called the dealer where we bought the camper, and I was told just bring it in, after I mentioned that we were about 700 miles away on vacation, guess he didn't listen very well. He also proceeded to tell me that all campers leak, our 2 previous campers did not leak. Plus he said it could take about a month to fix it. Guess he didn't care that our summer camping season would be ruined.

Anyways I called Dutchmen and learned that the dealer had never started our warrenty. Dutchmen still had the dealer having possesion of the camper. I told Dutchmen that wi would not go to that dealer for warrenty work because of how they had treated us. I found that a dealer 15 miles away would help.

We did determine that if I made sure that teh camper was leaning toward the slideout, I should be able to get through the camping season without furtehr leaks. Since we came back from the beach that was the case until yesterday when we found a half inch of water beside and under the bed. Again, we have ruined sheets and such. Also we fhoud a hole about 1.5 inches under the slideout where rodents could easily enter the camper. The camper was also very musty, hopefully better when I get home. My sife has asthma, if this smell is not corrected, we will not be able to go camping.

We are still planning on going camping tonight, however, I feel that Dutchmens response of, we will just fix it, is not enough. If my wife can't sleep in the camper, it seems I have wasted my money. I don't know if all RV companies are like this, if they are then we are doomed.

jlbrsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 07:04 PM   #2

Ohio
I feel bad for you our Kodiak has not had many but we do have a leak under the awing try tie downs I do when it’s windy it helps a lot tweeds.com is a good resources to get parts cheap and ship fast so is amzon.com
kodiak 2013 is offline   Reply With Quote