24Q-SSL Dual Port Coax jack - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > General RV Related Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 12-30-2015, 02:35 AM   #1

California
24Q-SSL Dual Port Coax jack

OK, just joined this forum and already need help! i cannot connect my direct TV to my trailer. the only way it works is if i do not connect my satellite to the outdoor RV coax connector and go straight to the Satellite box. the manual says to disconnect the six inch loop connected to the dual coax connector next to the power booster. that would be great accept there is no dual connector inside or outside the entire trailer..... Im thinking i just cant locate it. could really use some ideas

pradousmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 09:47 PM   #2

California
There has to be a power booster box in the trailer if it came with a crank up antenna.
It should look like this.
Winegard Power Receptacle Brown

2012 F-350 6.7l CC 4X4, Sold 10/10/17
DesertRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 10:01 PM   #3

British Columbia
Did you remove the wall plate.

It took me awhile to figure out what they did in my trailer. For some strange reason I have 2 coax connectors outside and neither one was maked as to what they were. I had one that is wired for cable and the other is for the sat dish.

In order to use the dish, I have to take the plate off and switch the coax. One of these days I'll get around to adding a seperate coax connector for the satellite.

Also make sure that you turn the power to the booster off, if it's on it will mess with the sat signal.
hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 10:25 PM   #4

California
There is a booster but no dual coax wall plate with six inch coax loop. all i have is a booster with three cable hooked up to it. 1) to the cable 2) to the antenna 3) to the second tv. I'ved tried turning the booster off and it the satellite box still cant find satellites.
Old 12-30-2015, 10:31 PM   #5

California
let me know what you think
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	~1451518076~20151229_183811.jpg
Views:	276
Size:	52.3 KB
ID:	2793  
Old 12-30-2015, 11:20 PM   #6

Oklahoma
I think what I'd do is connect the satellite antenna directly to the receiver and TV to ensure I have a quality signal.

Then I'd start the process of elimination of the coax cables, perhaps you'll come across the correct coax.

I leave the antenna booster on as it doesn't bother my DirecTV receiver. I only have to select input to the TV. It's going to take some trial and error to get the satellite receiver to work correctly.

How about posting a photo of the front of the plate in your hand?
Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 12:06 AM   #7

California
lets try this pic
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20151230_165956_resized.jpg
Views:	273
Size:	41.7 KB
ID:	2794  
Old 12-31-2015, 12:22 AM   #8

California
Also found this PDF that I will try because it seems to be what Im dealing with, thoughts?
Attached Files
File Type: pdf satellite_rewire RV.pdf (949.0 KB, 114 views)
Old 12-31-2015, 12:24 AM   #9

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundancer 87 View Post
I think what I'd do is connect the satellite antenna directly to the receiver and TV to ensure I have a quality signal.

Then I'd start the process of elimination of the coax cables, perhaps you'll come across the correct coax.

I leave the antenna booster on as it doesn't bother my DirecTV receiver. I only have to select input to the TV. It's going to take some trial and error to get the satellite receiver to work correctly.

How about posting a photo of the front of the plate in your hand?

Just posted a pic and pdf
Old 12-31-2015, 02:19 AM   #10

Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by pradousmc View Post
Just posted a pic and pdf
The PDF is very doable. There's no reason why it wouldn't work, apparently it has.
Other than the loop addition to the plate you could run a dedicated exterior coax drop to its own new connection on the plate. With the dedicated sat coax I don't think there would be a need to turn off the OTA amp for your sat receiver to work.
Last month I upgraded to DirecTV HD receiver. They don't come with an OTA pass through, the idea is not to be able to watch free network TV channels.
The HD receiver is connected to the plate ( I had the loop), and then goes to the TV via HDMI. For me to watch OTA channels I just ran a coax to the F connecter on the back of the TV.
I can switch between the systems by changing input to the TV. The sat receiver can stay on and the amp can stay on.
When I hooked the SD receiver up a couple years ago I struggled to find the combination to make them both work. I have three more TVs in the rig besides the main living room TV. I have OTA on the rest of them but not sat on them. I could have sat on them if I changed out the splitter behind the radio but I can't manage to pull it up out of its hole to change it. I'm not going to fight a gaggle of wires just so I can have sat signal on all the TVs. I turn on the other TVs just for giggles and grins but rarely are they used.
That's just me, some members have had installers come and wire and rewire the coax throughout the rig. They have wireless repeaters and all kinds of stuff to have sat channels on each TV.
Depending on your needs the PDF is the way to go or as suggested just run a dedicated coax for the sat system.
There's no wrong way or right way as long as you eventually get to use the sat receiver without having to purchase a lot of equipment or jack around with buttons and stuff.
Hopefully you can get it to work, it just takes patience or a lot of money.
Old 12-31-2015, 02:44 AM   #11

California
Great info! Thanks for the reply.....
Old 12-31-2015, 03:48 AM   #12

California
Thanks for the help
Old 01-02-2016, 01:37 AM   #13

Colorado
Not sure what RV you have, but on my Voltage Epic 3800, the six inch loop and booster are on the second shelf of the "video" cabinet under the Living Area TV. They are mounted in the right sidewall of the cabinet, on the second shelf opening.

Mine has the electric fireplace, its only 4 screws to remove the fireplace...and from there I can trace all the coax cable.

With help from a good friend, we used a jumper wire to "short across" one end of each coax and then used a multi-meter to find the other end and the labeled each one for future use.

I didn't have the problem with the coax in the "wet cabinet" as I had the dealer install a self searching Winegard DirecTV antenna. Did take a while to find where they brought the cable inside the trailer and where it was located...but finally figured that out. They cut a 4" square hole in the passenger side of the wall up in the loft above the garage to bring the cable into the trailer. The power booster is up behind the Living Area TV, so high that you can't see it. Found it with my 4UCam video probe.

Just thoughts,

Pirate
Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 01:49 AM   #14

Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate View Post
Not sure what RV you have, but on my Voltage Epic 3800, the six inch loop and booster are on the second shelf of the "video" cabinet under the Living Area TV. They are mounted in the right sidewall of the cabinet, on the second shelf opening.

Mine has the electric fireplace, its only 4 screws to remove the fireplace...and from there I can trace all the coax cable.

With help from a good friend, we used a jumper wire to "short across" one end of each coax and then used a multi-meter to find the other end and the labeled each one for future use.

I didn't have the problem with the coax in the "wet cabinet" as I had the dealer install a self searching Winegard DirecTV antenna. Did take a while to find where they brought the cable inside the trailer and where it was located...but finally figured that out. They cut a 4" square hole in the passenger side of the wall up in the loft above the garage to bring the cable into the trailer. The power booster is up behind the Living Area TV, so high that you can't see it. Found it with my 4UCam video probe.

Just thoughts,

Pirate
He has a 24Q-ss, it's a 27 foot TT and I think the last one made was 2007 or so.
Our 3800 properties don't apply regarding TV and coax cables. But he does have options we don't have, like space and accessibility for running cables.
Old 01-02-2016, 10:44 AM   #15
Site Team

North Carolina
Sometimes y'all make me glad I went cheap and small.

I don't watch television much at home and even less when I am camping.

Hell my trailer didn't even come with a cable hookup! Dutchmen probably saved a whole $5 on that one. I am going to install a park cable hook up for my wife's sake. Sometimes we take the camper when I am working and she has to stay by herself during the day. But usually internet is enough to keep her happy. We do watch the occasional DVD.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 08:18 PM   #16

California
Quote:
The PDF is very doable. There's no reason why it wouldn't work, apparently it has.
Other than the loop addition to the plate you could run a dedicated exterior coax drop to its own new connection on the plate. With the dedicated sat coax I don't think there would be a need to turn off the OTA amp for your sat receiver to work.
Last month I upgraded to DirecTV HD receiver. They don't come with an OTA pass through, the idea is not to be able to watch free network TV channels.
The HD receiver is connected to the plate ( I had the loop), and then goes to the TV via HDMI. For me to watch OTA channels I just ran a coax to the F connecter on the back of the TV.
I can switch between the systems by changing input to the TV. The sat receiver can stay on and the amp can stay on.
When I hooked the SD receiver up a couple years ago I struggled to find the combination to make them both work. I have three more TVs in the rig besides the main living room TV. I have OTA on the rest of them but not sat on them. I could have sat on them if I changed out the splitter behind the radio but I can't manage to pull it up out of its hole to change it. I'm not going to fight a gaggle of wires just so I can have sat signal on all the TVs. I turn on the other TVs just for giggles and grins but rarely are they used.
That's just me, some members have had installers come and wire and rewire the coax throughout the rig. They have wireless repeaters and all kinds of stuff to have sat channels on each TV.
Depending on your needs the PDF is the way to go or as suggested just run a dedicated coax for the sat system.
There's no wrong way or right way as long as you eventually get to use the sat receiver without having to purchase a lot of equipment or jack around with buttons and stuff.
Hopefully you can get it to work, it just takes patience or a lot of money.
Just got back from four days at Morro Bay and it worked perfectly! thanks for all the help!
Old 01-09-2016, 08:23 PM   #17

Oklahoma
Did you do the .pdf modification?
Old 01-09-2016, 09:39 PM   #18

California
Quote:
Did you do the .pdf modification?
Yes, and it works great! Now i just set up my old direct tv box, its easier to find signal, and then hook up my regular dvr. 15min setup total, love it and so do the kids.