2012 Hitchmen Lightening 5th wheel. - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > General RV Related Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 07-28-2021, 01:24 AM   #1

Arizona
2012 Hitchmen Lightening 5th wheel.

I cannot locate the inverter. I am plugged into shore power but no juice at all. Batteries will do 12 volt but will not charge on shore power. Looked behind electrical panel, under the bed , in the storage are but can’t find it. Any thoughts?

NickS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 01:57 PM   #2

California
A couple thoughts:

If you are plugged into shore power and not able to charge your battery AND you have no power at the outlets then I would guess the issue is no power is even getting to your rig. Might be the pedestal, your power cable or even the connection. Check the breakers on the pedestal as well. Most pedestals also have a 15 amp normal outlet you can plug a standard extension cord into and see if it has power.

You say you are trying locate your inverter but an inverter is a device that inverts battery power (DC) to AC. Most trailers do not come with an inverter but rather a converter that allows you to turn shore power into DC power to charge your batteries and operate your house 12v system while plugged in.

An inverter normally is installed when someone wants to do the opposite and wants to be able to run their RV off grid using battery power and “invert” that DC power to AC so you can use the electrical outlets to plug things in like a hair dryer, etc. This tends to require a number of batteries, often solar panels to charge them and is also costly in most cases. I doubt you have this setup.

I suspect you are trying to locate your power converter and not inverter but again I suspect this is not the issue as I stated above.

Good luck.

Old 07-28-2021, 03:12 PM   #3

Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsol View Post
A couple thoughts:

If you are plugged into shore power and not able to charge your battery AND you have no power at the outlets then I would guess the issue is no power is even getting to your rig. Might be the pedestal, your power cable or even the connection. Check the breakers on the pedestal as well. Most pedestals also have a 15 amp normal outlet you can plug a standard extension cord into and see if it has power.

You say you are trying locate your inverter but an inverter is a device that inverts battery power (DC) to AC. Most trailers do not come with an inverter but rather a converter that allows you to turn shore power into DC power to charge your batteries and operate your house 12v system while plugged in.

An inverter normally is installed when someone wants to do the opposite and wants to be able to run their RV off grid using battery power and “invert” that DC power to AC so you can use the electrical outlets to plug things in like a hair dryer, etc. This tends to require a number of batteries, often solar panels to charge them and is also costly in most cases. I doubt you have this setup.

I suspect you are trying to locate your power converter and not inverter but again I suspect this is not the issue as I stated above.

Good luck.
Yes I am
Looking for the power converter. I will double check the outlet but I am using a bulldog surge protector and it shows hot.
Old 07-28-2021, 03:22 PM   #4

Arizona
This is a plug at my house. It is hot but still. No power to the unit.
Old 07-28-2021, 09:01 PM   #5

Florida
Nick, is your unit an older one or a new one? Just to repeat what everyone always says, the power to these units is 110 NOT 220. Just to make sure you have the correct power going to the unit.
franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2021, 03:03 AM   #6

Idaho
Old thread but for future readers check the main fuses. All circuit breakers can be conducting but if the socket was hot when you plug in, one or both main fuses can blow and stop AC to anything and in-turn the converter has no power either and batteries will run lights and such but won't be charged.

Pastot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
converter location