2003 Cub - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > General RV Related Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 05-21-2018, 01:09 PM   #1

Colorado
2003 Cub

Hi everyone. My wife and I just bought a used 2003 aerolite Cub used. It seems to be in good condition and we're excited to have our first camper!

After bringing it home and unplugging it from the truck I tested the slide and it felt very low on power. Assuming the batteries are bad or just aren't charged. So my question is: what's the best way to charge batteries on this camper? And does hooking it up to the truck provide power to the slide or any other accessories other than the running/trailer lights?

Sorry for the newby questions.... and thanks for the help!

Huntlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 01:43 PM   #2

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntlight View Post
Hi everyone. My wife and I just bought a used 2003 aerolite Cub used. It seems to be in good condition and we're excited to have our first camper!

After bringing it home and unplugging it from the truck I tested the slide and it felt very low on power. Assuming the batteries are bad or just aren't charged. So my question is: what's the best way to charge batteries on this camper? And does hooking it up to the truck provide power to the slide or any other accessories other than the running/trailer lights?

Sorry for the newby questions.... and thanks for the help!

While the RV is not plugged into shore power, the batteries will go dead due to the mysterious loads that are on the DC side. I would plug it in to shore power (even use 30 amp to 110 volt adapter if you don't run anything else). You can get them at walmart for about 5 bucks.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/RV-Electr...&wl13=&veh=sem

franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 01:48 PM   #3

Maryland
While you have the TT plugged into shore power, it should automatically charge the batter. Presuming you have a batter monitor panel in your TT, it should indicate if it is fully charging the battery. Once you unplug the shore power, the battery will start draining ever-so-slowly.

Use a volt meter to check your battery while it is plugged in and unplugged as well.

2011 Chevy Suburban 2500 4x4
2015 Kodiak 300BHLS
mjcarte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 02:24 PM   #4

Colorado
Thanks for the replies! So does plugging it into the vehicle power anything besides the running lights?
Old 05-21-2018, 02:31 PM   #5

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntlight View Post
Thanks for the replies! So does plugging it into the vehicle power anything besides the running lights?
charges the batteries and powers 12v items. While you had it plugged into your vehicle for transport, it charged the batteries enough for you to operate the slide.
Old 05-21-2018, 08:09 PM   #6

Colorado
Thank you!
Old 05-21-2018, 10:10 PM   #7

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by franktafl View Post
charges the batteries and powers 12v items. While you had it plugged into your vehicle for transport, it charged the batteries enough for you to operate the slide.
Actually that will depend, do they have a 4 pin or 7 pin connector (it is a 2003 model) and it is a 7 pin, do they have the charging fuse installed in the truck (Chevy sometimes forgets them), and lastly, is there 7 pin (if that is what it is) wired for charging battery ( wire from connector to battery). If all that checks out, then hooking to the truck SHOULD charge battery at a less than 10 amp (most used charge fuse size I have seen).

Sorry, I forget which pin on a 7 pin plug is for charge.
Thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 11:37 PM   #8

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thom View Post
Actually that will depend, do they have a 4 pin or 7 pin connector (it is a 2003 model) and it is a 7 pin, do they have the charging fuse installed in the truck (Chevy sometimes forgets them), and lastly, is there 7 pin (if that is what it is) wired for charging battery ( wire from connector to battery). If all that checks out, then hooking to the truck SHOULD charge battery at a less than 10 amp (most used charge fuse size I have seen).

Sorry, I forget which pin on a 7 pin plug is for charge.
pin 4
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Wiring for 7 Blade Plug.jpg
Views:	303
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	4741   Click image for larger version

Name:	7-blade-wiring-diagram-connector-escape-radio-diagrams-free-new-trailer.jpg
Views:	377
Size:	57.8 KB
ID:	4742  
Old 06-02-2018, 02:18 AM   #9

Ohio
Thank you for these diagrams! I need to troubleshoot an issue with the receptacle on my van and this will help greatly. I'm not getting a charge to my trailer battery and my left turn signal isn't working (but the light does). And, yes, the battery charged and the turn signal worked last year. Wiring on the trailer was tested as good when I first noticed the problem. This will be tomorrow's task.
Quote:
Originally Posted by franktafl View Post
pin 4
Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk