2003 Colorado TT Winterizing - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > General RV Related Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 09-18-2015, 03:47 PM   #1

Ontario
2003 Colorado TT Winterizing

Hi, Sorry for the following question which I'm sure you have read many times...

But I'm new TT ownership and this is my first winter coming up. I have not been able to access detailed winterizing instructions for key particular unit, in particular how to blow the lines out. I am not sure where or how to hook up the compressor to blow the lines? I am not even sure where the best drain valve is of for the water?

My trailer is a 2003 Colorado 31BK. There is no owners manual on the Dutchmen site for my year only a brochure.

Any help would be appreciated.

YSBfireguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 05:21 PM   #2

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by YSBfireguy View Post
Hi, Sorry for the following question which I'm sure you have read many times...

But I'm new TT ownership and this is my first winter coming up. I have not been able to access detailed winterizing instructions for key particular unit, in particular how to blow the lines out. I am not sure where or how to hook up the compressor to blow the lines? I am not even sure where the best drain valve is of for the water?

My trailer is a 2003 Colorado 31BK. There is no owners manual on the Dutchmen site for my year only a brochure.

Any help would be appreciated.
You start with a blowout adapter that screws into the city water hook-up. You don't need a lot of pressure to blow the lines, if you go crazy you might find that you blow joints off.

Drain the hotwater tank first or you will be blowing all of that water through the lines.

Start with the fixture that is the farthest away from the city water hook-up catch the water in a pan so that it does go down the drain. Once you have air with a very fine mist coming out of the taps close the first fixture and more to the second farthest away and so on until you have all the lines blown. I always go back and repeat the process just to make sure I have them blown clear.

Next step is to remove the water filter, dump the water and I toss the filter. If you have the larger household style filter, put a capped pop bottle in the filter housing (saves anti-freeze).
If your unit doesn't have a bypass kit put one in or you will be filling the HW tank before you start getting anti-freeze out of the fixtures. Let the anti-freeze run to fill the traps (I blow the traps out as well, you won't need as much anti-freeze as it won't be diluted).

Once you have all the lines blown and anti-freeze in them, look under the trailer you should see a Low Point Drian (on my Colorado it's a ball valve hanging down through the belly pan) somewhere below the potable water tank.

The nastiest part of the job put a bucket under your dump valves and open them to clear and water that may be trapped on the drain lines.

Finally put some anti-freeze in the black tank through the toilet and dump a bit more down a drain.

When you put your rig back in service in the spring you will want to clean and sanitize the potable water tank and run fresh water through the lines until you no longer taste any anti-freeze.

hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 05:26 PM   #3

Ontario
Excellent. Thanks so much for the detailed instructions. I will follow them this weekend when I get out to camp to winterize!!
YSBfireguy is offline   Reply With Quote