Winterization & Skirting 5th Wheel - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Technical | Towing, Maintenance and Repairs > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 05-10-2016, 06:52 PM   #1

Washington
Winterization & Skirting 5th Wheel

My husband and I just became full-timers and are stationary on a small private lot in WA state.

We will be here for at least another 6 years and want to make sure we have smooth sailing for the winter.

We are looking for recommendations for skirting/insulation around the 5th wheel (would love to see any mods people have done), not particularly fond of the aluminum silver stuff that snaps on.

Also, how to heat or winterize the underbelly, windows, etc..

We are planning on giving the 5th wheel a really good washing and waxing and rubberized roof this summer but looking for other suggestions from full timers.

No, moving to a warmer climate is not an option as hubby works full-time.

Rannypapa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 08:46 PM   #2

British Columbia
If I was going to set up a permanent site, I would begin with a good solid foundation to support the trailer like concrete pilings or pier blocks. The camper would be blocked up and the tires would be off the ground.

Next a vapor barrier and a layer of fine gravel, like crusher chips. Crusher chips are easier to level and will compact down to a fairly solid surface. One of the most important things is a good perimeter drain, you don't want water pooling under the camper.

Next comes a raised treated wood deck for storage under the trailer, then a 2X stub wall with foam insulation. If I remember my WA state geography, your still on the wet side of the state, so you won't need much heat down there.

The finish can be just about anything you want, once you have the stub walls in place.

What I've described is pretty much what you would find a manufactured home setting on. If snow birding is in the cards down the road using the 5er, I would change the foundation to a concrete slab and make the stub wallls in sections to allow for removal.

When I was a kid I was going nowhere fast, now I'm an old man I'm going everywhere slow.
hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote