venting front nose cone of 3670FL - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Technical | Towing, Maintenance and Repairs > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 09-07-2013, 02:51 PM   #1

Michigan
venting front nose cone of 3670FL

The other day (not sure which) I opened up one of the top cabinets above the TV and I thought I had just opened the oven. It was HOT in them thar compartments. Has anyone devised a way to ventilate or otherwise cool down the front cap area of the rig? If not, guess I better get to work designing. I would be okay in the winter months, however in the summer it kind of gets hot.

thank you

GOLDENYEARS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 03:03 PM   #2

Oklahoma
I've noticed that also but didn't put much thought to it. Think about it, the towels are always toasty!!

I haven't studied the situation in that area but in the 3800 I have the cabinets above the bed in the nose. There are lamps over the bed so there's 12 volts there.

That means it might be possible to put a fan or ducted fan inside a cabinet and force the hot air to the outside by a simple register on either side of the cap.

I don't think it would take major engineering to make this happen if all the ingrediants are there.

Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 03:12 PM   #3

Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundancer 87 View Post
I've noticed that also but didn't put much thought to it. Think about it, the towels are always toasty!!

I haven't studied the situation in that area but in the 3800 I have the cabinets above the bed in the nose. There are lamps over the bed so there's 12 volts there.

That means it might be possible to put a fan or ducted fan inside a cabinet and force the hot air to the outside by a simple register on either side of the cap.

I don't think it would take major engineering to make this happen if all the ingrediants are there.
I dont believe it will take much either to remedy the heat. Not really a problem, but the living room is located where most bedrooms are located.

looks like something to work on.
GOLDENYEARS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 07:01 PM   #4

Colorado
Here's a thought. In a poorly insulated house (which our rigs kind of are) you might have to open cabinets in the winter to keep things inside from freezing. In the summer you might want to keep them all closed and not worry about how warm they get inside because it is less air volume for the a/c to cool.

2013 Infinity 3640RL with Trailair pin box
2008 F-250 King Ranch Power Stroke diesel with B&W Companion Slider hitch
Chalkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 10:31 PM   #5

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLDENYEARS View Post
The other day (not sure which) I opened up one of the top cabinets above the TV and I thought I had just opened the oven. It was HOT in them thar compartments. Has anyone devised a way to ventilate or otherwise cool down the front cap area of the rig? If not, guess I better get to work designing. I would be okay in the winter months, however in the summer it kind of gets hot.

thank you

You could try a product called Reflctix, it's the stuff that hot water tank blankets are made of.

Most big box homw improvement stores carry it in bulk rolls. It's very easy to work with, measure, cut to size, a lit bit big if you want to friction fit to try it. If it works and you don't mind the silver color you can glue it in with construction adhesive.

If the color of the product is a problem, you could get some 1/8" ply in a wood to match the interior cabinetry this can be applied to the Reflectix with construction adhesive
hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 01:46 PM   #6

Oklahoma
So, wondering why we were getting a "breeze" through the electric outlet I decided to pop the cover off and take out the outlet on our 2014 3895 to see what's going on...well what I observed is "No f...ing insulation in the front cap". None, zero, nada. I assume this is typical and why your towels are so toasty! Our queen bed is in the cap part and the closets are in the slide. You would think that by getting the optional Epic All Weather package they would insulate the units wherever the could? Customers really need to lean on Dutchman (and other manufacturers as I assume this is a industry wide practice) to implement some standards!
elfaqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 04:16 PM   #7

Oklahoma
I changed out the outlet on the right side of the bed and dropped another outlet closer to the floor.
Since I had to run wires from the OEM to the new outlet I wanted to be sure I wouldn't have to breach ALL that insulation.

What is it they say? Seriously, really? The back or inside of the nose appears to have been blown with some sort of coating, maybe someone's idea of insulation. The curvature of the nose is completely empty, nothing but a void. However, I did see a blanket of pink insulation coming from the side wall. It looked to be about an inch thick. That would be in accordance with the R factors the manufacture boasts, yeah sure, go have another one Sundancer.

I would almost consider blowing loose insulation in the nose but that could lead to weight and therefore make the nose fall off.

Now, elfagua, if you're handy you can pull those outlets, remove them completely and replace the 'trailer' outlets with a residential named brand outlet. You will have to install a remodel or rework box to hold the new outlet. Rework/remodel boxes only have openings that you open to pass your wiring into the box. That will stop the breeze, give you a real outlet and help seal that hole. You'll need to resize the original opening to fit the box but that only equates to removing material from two sides of the opening.

If you want to wait until the end of May I'll do it for you if you want. I'll be in Norman for two weeks doing disaster relief with Habitat for Humanity in Moore. We'll be hooked up at the fairgrounds in Norman while doing work there in Moore.

Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote