TT Back up Lights - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-04-2015, 03:37 AM   #1

Idaho
Lightbulb TT Back up Lights

Has anyone installed back up lights on a rear bumper? I have a 2810BHS and a spare set of LED flood lights I'm thinking about putting on the back bumper. Alot of times we arrive after dark and backing in to a spot can be a challenge.

Has anyone done this? I wouldn't want to run a new wire the entire length of the trailer, but rather maybe tap into the running light circuit and install a waterproof switch somewhere... Unless anyone knows if the trailer may already be wired for it???

BackwoodsLegit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 04:08 AM   #2

South Carolina
Actually, the center pin of your 7-pin is designated for back-up lights, but almost nobody uses it. Even if it were available all the way to your rear bumper, it wouldn't do you much good. Your flood lights would go off when you shifted into park to walk back and eyeball the situation. I would not run them off the running light circuit. My TV runs that circuit through a 10 amp fuse. We light a lot of lamps off of that circuit as it is, and two floodlights would blow that fuse. If you're going to mount them, and I like the idea, just put a waterproof switch in line and run the wire (fused) to the trailer battery. I'd mount the switch somewhere around the battery/propane tanks, so you don't have to walk all the way back.

MartyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 06:23 AM   #3

Idaho
I like that idea! Switch up front directly off the battery would be great... They are LED lights with a low draw, so I'm not overly concerned about current.

I've also seen some pics during my research where guys are mounting lights at the back as well as up front near the tongue pointing back at the tires. That would be very handy as well! Not to mention that would light up under the trailer for setting jacks and such...
Old 03-05-2015, 12:17 AM   #4

British Columbia
My plan this year is to run a couple of LED floods on the back bumper from the house battery and use a remote to turn those and the chassis lights on and off. Multi channel key fob remotes are only a few bucks online and would handle the amps that are needed for a couple of 20 to 30 watt floods and the led strips for the chassis.

Cheers
Daryl B.
grump010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 01:19 AM   #5

Idaho
Thanks grump! I saw those remote switches on Amazon. I'll be ordering one of those to make switching easy from the truck.
How are you attaching the LED strips to the chassis? Are you using the 16 foot stick on type that are on Amazon?
Old 03-06-2015, 02:29 PM   #6

British Columbia
I use Aliexpress mostly to purchase this kind of stuff, here is the search that I did for a remote:
Shop Universal 12V Wireless RF Remote online Gallery - Buy Universal 12V Wireless RF Remote for unbeatable low prices on AliExpress.com

For the under chassis lights I've ordered COB led lights as I only want the area along the door side lit up and here is the similar product to what I have on order:
DRL flexible led daytime running light waterproof DC12v External car styling led light bar light source parking led fog light-in Daytime Running Lights from Automobiles & Motorcycles on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

These are the lights that I have on order:
Free Shipping 1PCS 18W LED Work Light Offroad 4WD ATV Car 4x4 Truck Tractor Bike Flood Spot Lighting CAR Fog Back Up Lamp 27W-in Lights & Indicators from Automobiles & Motorcycles on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

These lights and remote will be connected to the house battery so that I can use them while the TV is disconnected. Hope this helps, if you have any more questions post here or send me a PM.

Disclaimer:
I've used the services and vendors of Aliexpress many times, I'm not endorsing any of these products or vendors. My intent is to identify what I've purchased for this particular project. Please use your own discretion if you choose to use this service.

Cheers
Daryl B.
Old 03-06-2015, 02:38 PM   #7

British Columbia
Sorry BackwoodsLegit, I didn't answer your original question.
I don't use the sticky back LED strip for outside applications. If they are the ones I think your referring too the PCB on the back absorbs water between the PCB and the epoxy coating and the LEDs will fail. I only use the the LED strip in the silicone sleeve for exterior applications such as my Christmas light display and perimeter lighting on my deck. The COB lights that I'm using for this project are my first time using them in this application but they are supposed to be waterproof and I use COB leds throughout the interior of the TT.
Old 03-07-2015, 12:00 AM   #8

Idaho
Great answers Sir! I like the COB lights you show here. I may go that route to light up the stairs...

Thanks for the input!